PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think there are very few Moon photos from India/China/Japan

ocpaul20
2011-Mar-04, 09:11 AM
I cannot think of any real valid (to me!) reason why we do not have the data released from these countries. They went to the Moon to investigate it. Before they went, they all made news about how wonderful their data woud be, but here we are, sometimes years later, waiting for the release of their photographs. In the case of India, it was at least 40,000 photos they took before their spacecraft went AWOL.

China has sent a second mission to the Moon but not many have been released from the first mission.

Japan has released some photos, it is true, but not very many considering how many they must have taken.

Everything is very quiet and they say nothing.
Do you think they want to keep all the data to themselves for some reason...?

Tog
2011-Mar-04, 09:28 AM
Well, yes. They paid for the missions, they have every right to keep their finding to themselves for a time. They are under obligation to share any of it with anyone else.

That said, Japans Hayabusa (http://www.isas.ac.jp/e/enterp/missions/hayabusa/movie.shtml) has sent back HD video of it's moon flyovers, which are available on YouTube among other sources.

The WISE mission took images of every part of the sky, but only a hand full of those have been made public. In time they will probably all come out, but if you spent 500 million on a space mission, you'd want first crack at the data and the discoveries it may bring.

ocpaul20
2011-Mar-04, 09:37 AM
India for example had bits of hardware from America which is public money.

Ultimately all the money is from the government and is carried out on behalf of the public. It is taking away money from goods and services which would benefit the Indian people - if it was spent on that rather than the space mission. So, that said, they all owe the existence of the space mission to money from the public's purse. Let's not forget that - particularly countries such as India or China with many poor people.

captain swoop
2011-Mar-04, 09:40 AM
Are you in India or China? If not, why do you think they should give you the information?

ocpaul20
2011-Mar-04, 09:46 AM
Because as I have said, the money is not just theirs (in the case of India). China will probably do as it has always done and go-it-alone, but Japan probably had US hardware on board too, although I do not know about that. Certainly they may be using the global space network of receiving stations and some of those are US owned and some belong to other countries, not just the ones running the space mission. Thats why they should give me and us the information.

Selenite
2011-Mar-04, 10:03 AM
Because as I have said, the money is not just theirs (in the case of India). China will probably do as it has always done and go-it-alone, but Japan probably had US hardware on board too, although I do not know about that. Certainly they may be using the global space network of receiving stations and some of those are US owned and some belong to other countries, not just the ones running the space mission. Thats why they should give me and us the information.

My computer is chock full of Chinese made components and hardware. Should I share every document and file I create on it with the Chinese Government?

Tog
2011-Mar-04, 10:08 AM
My computer is chock full of Chinese made components and hardware. Should I share every document and file I create on it with the Chinese Government?

How much faith do you have in your anti-virus? :P

ocpaul20, You're saying that because the US sold, leased, or licensed technology or parts to India and Japan, from one government to another, that the citizens of the countries should be allowed access to any data generated in real time. Is that correct?

chetna
2011-Mar-04, 10:29 AM
hello friends....m from India...well i m student of engineering....India is developing country not developed so economical problem is here..in space research the development is not as fast as that of other countries..but we are moving forward step by step...actually India has its own only mission(project) to moon that is Chandrayaan-I in 2008 by ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) And as you want to know about the pictures, i searched the site and got the information written there as-

ISRO has stated recently, that the voluminous data gathered by Chandrayaan-I would be made available to the public by the end of the year 2010. The data would be eventually split into two seasons with the first season going public by the end of 2010 and the second going public by the mid of 2011. The data would contain rare pictures of the moon and also data from the chemical and mineral mapping of the lunar surface.

Well India is also planning for Chandrayaan-II mission in 2013. Here I m posting a picture by Chandrayaan which is reffered to sign of water on the moon and the website is as http://www.isro.gov.in/Chandrayaan/htmls/home.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/89/Chandrayaan1_Spacecraft_Discovery_Moon_Water.jpg

slang
2011-Mar-04, 11:35 AM
I cannot think of any real valid (to me!) reason why we do not have the data released from these countries. They went to the Moon to investigate it. Before they went, they all made news about how wonderful their data woud be, but here we are, sometimes years later, waiting for the release of their photographs. In the case of India, it was at least 40,000 photos they took before their spacecraft went AWOL.

http://planetary.org/blog/article/00002938/

Yes, for a limited time. To give the scientists who worked on the instruments time to study the data, and be the first to publish.

Skyfire
2011-Mar-04, 12:50 PM
In the case of India, it was at least 40,000 photos they took before their spacecraft went AWOL.

Well, as Slang says, they want to keep the information to themselves until they have at least had time to publish. How long do YOU think it takes to analyse the data from those 40,000 photos? I would suggest it will be many weeks, months, or possibly even years!

ocpaul20
2011-Mar-04, 02:13 PM
Actually, now that we are discussing this, I see that the Indians have released a lower resolution set of some of their data. See the Planetry Society Blog about it here (http://planetary.org/blog/article/00002938/) dated 1st March. Hopefully their full data will be not long coming.

And it was 70,000 not 40,000

ocpaul20, You're saying that because the US sold, leased, or licensed technology or parts to India and Japan, from one government to another, that the citizens of the countries should be allowed access to any data generated in real time. Is that correct?
I never said real time did I?
What they have done is fine for starters.

Swift
2011-Mar-04, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 Do you think they want to keep all the data to themselves for some reason...?

Yes, for a limited time. To give the scientists who worked on the instruments time to study the data, and be the first to publish.
What slang said. And this issue is not unique to India, China and Japan; it has come up often with both NASA (such as the Kepler mission) and ESA. Look in Space Exploration for all the debates on that. It is always a balance among public "right" to release and giving the scientists time to analyze and publish the information (many who have worked on the mission for years or decades want something to show for all that).

kamaz
2011-Mar-04, 07:06 PM
Japan has released some photos, it is true, but not very many considering how many they must have taken.

A lot of Kaguya data has been released, problem is that you have to use some contrived interfaces to get to it. These two pages should help:

http://wms.selene.jaxa.jp/3dmoon_e/index_e.html
http://ltvt.wikispaces.com/Obtaining+Kaguya+DEM+data

NASA has released imagery from Moon Mineraology Mapper aboard Chandrayaan, but the problem here is that it is not in a format that anybody can read. The format is however documented, so I wrote my own software for extracting images -- yes, it works, and no, no alien bases so far :)

captain swoop
2011-Mar-04, 10:48 PM
ocpaul20 Are you suggesting some conspiracy here?

ocpaul20
2011-Mar-05, 01:55 AM
Does it need to be a conspiracy to be on this forum? I suppose that it does since the name of the forum is such. You can interpret it as that if you want to. There is no point in making something 'a conspiracy' just for the sake of it is there? I am just moaning like we all do sometimes.

Grashtel
2011-Mar-05, 02:31 AM
Does it need to be a conspiracy to be on this forum? I suppose that it does since the name of the forum is such. You can interpret it as that if you want to. There is no point in making something 'a conspiracy' just for the sake of it is there? I am just moaning like we all do sometimes.
If you don't think there is a conspiracy why did you put it in the "Conspiracy Theories" section of the forum? Its fairly obvious that this section is for conspiracy theories and directly related stuff. If you are just curious as to why the data hasn't been released either the "Space Exploration" or "Questions and Answers" sections would be better and more obvious choices.

Hungry4info
2011-Mar-05, 05:29 AM
That said, Japans Hayabusa (http://www.isas.ac.jp/e/enterp/missions/hayabusa/movie.shtml) has sent back HD video of it's moon flyovers, which are available on YouTube among other sources.

Minor nitpick: Kaguya is the spacecraft you're thinking of. Hayabusa did the asteroid sample return.

Tog
2011-Mar-05, 06:25 AM
Minor nitpick: Kaguya is the spacecraft you're thinking of. Hayabusa did the asteroid sample return.

Sorry, my mistake. Hayabusa was the only name I recalled, and the HD clips were the only one I remembered seeing.

slang
2011-Mar-05, 09:03 AM

Well, if you don't suggest there is some mysterious conspiracy to hold back the data, and are "just asking", this might just as well be in the Space Exploration forum. But there already is so much moaning there...

ETA: yeah, what Grashtel said. :)

captain swoop
2011-Mar-05, 11:03 AM
OK as no conspiracy is being proposed I am closing the thread. If anyone thinks it should stay open report this post to the mods with a good reason