PDA

View Full Version : UFO's spotted by Mexican Military

c42
2004-May-12, 12:24 AM
Now I believe that UFO's have an explanation - but I'm hard pressed to find onw for these! http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/05/11/mexico.ufos.ap/index.html

I've also seen footage of them on the news and they seem to be moving in a very purposeful manner - unless it's ball lightning and/or flyovers from another military power, I'm pretty stumped!

Does anyone have an explanation?

AZgazer
2004-May-12, 12:31 AM
Anyone have a link to the actual video?

Crazieman
2004-May-12, 03:02 AM
Link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index2&cid=1033)

samseed
2004-May-12, 03:37 AM
You know, I thought this was a joke until I saw the link. But apparently it is true... Mexico really does have a military. I mean, I have heard rumors before, but never seen actual footage involving their military.

eburacum45
2004-May-12, 04:10 AM
My subjective impression of the film is that condensation on the inside or outside of the window is catching the light;

UFOs filmed from inside aircraft are quite often due to imperfections in the window glass.

almost certainly the person filming this phenomenon is aware of the cause of the images, although that is not always the case.

Celestial Mechanic
2004-May-12, 04:14 AM
Was it one of those "low-rider" flying saucers? You know, the kind that bounces up and down a lot in flight? Inquiring minds want to know.

I fixed the seats so they'd tilt back, and, and,
I reprimered the right front fender, man!

(Ducks and runs for cover.)

AZgazer
2004-May-12, 05:34 AM
Was it one of those "low-rider" flying saucers? You know, the kind that bounces up and down a lot in flight? Inquiring minds want to know.

I fixed the seats so they'd tilt back, and, and,
I reprimered the right front fender, man!

(Ducks and runs for cover.)

That comment was in EXTREMELY poor taste and your running for cover means you knew it and posted it regardless. I had believed that on a Board with intellectual conversations stuff like this would be avoided for it's obvious ignorance. Guess my faith in people once again needs re-examined.

As the father of 2 little girls with Mexican blood in them (50% in case it friggin matters.) I am finding it hard to not lose my cool and stoop to that level. So I am just going to log off now and hope I can find it in me to not remember this post whenever I see your name and try to read your posts objectively. Have a nice life.

c42
2004-May-12, 05:57 AM
Interesting idea eburacum45! It sounds like quite a plausible explanation. Racial slurs and rebuttals aside, does anyone have any other relevant comments on this matter?

jt-3d
2004-May-12, 06:43 AM
Sorry, I never get excited about mysterious lights. You can't judge scale, the videos are lousy. Nothing to see here, move along.
The UFOers will eat it up though. And it was reported on by the news. Oh well, the news never reports when nothing is being seen.

MrObvious
2004-May-12, 07:42 AM
Don't have any comments on the UFO's, but, the article mentioned than the military doesn't do fraud. Whew, so we really can avoid death by nuclear attack by "duck and cover". As the saying goes "don't beleive everything you read".

Regards,

novaderrik
2004-May-12, 07:46 AM
the article i saw on it said that hte objects first showed up on radar, then on an infrared camera, and that they were never visible to the human eye.
doesn't Mexico have a LOT of UFO sightings- especially in ancient cities where strange pictures and statues have been found that SEEM to resemble spacemen or flying ships of some sort if you squint and look at them at a certain angle in certain lighting conditions after smoking peyote or something?

Unbunker
2004-May-12, 07:54 AM
My subjective impression of the film is that condensation on the inside or outside of the window is catching the light;

UFOs filmed from inside aircraft are quite often due to imperfections in the window glass.

almost certainly the person filming this phenomenon is aware of the cause of the images, although that is not always the case.

I’m sure the people operating the camera know and understand this phenomenon. These guys are after drugs dealers, hopefully they don’t chase UFO’s night after night.

Heck, even if all of the light were some kind of glare from the windows you still have to look at the math. The news clip said there were a total of 11 UFO’s, but only 3 of them registered on the radar. Even if they included themselves in the radar, it still means there were 2 UFO’s floating around. (Lets not confuse my use of UFO with aliens: Unidentified Flying Object)

I really hope there is a follow up to this story, I’d like to know what exactly was flying up there with them.

Kaptain K
2004-May-12, 11:54 AM
...after smoking peyote or something?
[-X You don't smoke peyote. :roll: You eat it then puke! :o

glen chapman
2004-May-12, 12:09 PM
Saw the footage.

Was obviously the lights of another aircraft...taken out of focus. One is a large transport. Maybe a Herc...Not sure about the other - maybe a passing commercial unit

Glen Chapman

logicboy
2004-May-12, 01:54 PM
Anyone ever heard of the Phoenix Lights?

Well I live in Phoenix and I vividly remember this day, they had this story live on every news channel "kinda like OJ".

Last I heard the military said they where some kinda new flare that stayed in one spot for about 15 minutes. "I guess it's possible"

The fact is there were thousands of eye witnesses not including everyone watching TV, 100's of interviews. More than a couple people saw some triangular shape fly overhead.

I'm remaining skeptical but I do find it quite interesting the military decided to test new flares at night in the middle of the city

http://www.cnn.com/US/9706/19/ufo.lights/

Argos
2004-May-12, 02:01 PM
The expression Unidentified Flying Object is not suitable for a scientific discussion, although scientists and skeptical inquirers often use it (not to mention believers). It looks like a prudent scientific expression, but the term object implies that there´s a material thing involved. I would propose a more scientific expression: Undetermined Optical Phenomenon.

Added:

Etymologically, the term “object” means “which is seen”, but the use has degraded that meaning. It is currently understood as referring to a material body.

hewhocaves
2004-May-12, 03:08 PM

Well I live in Phoenix and I vividly remember this day, they had this story live on every news channel "kinda like OJ".

Last I heard the military said they where some kinda new flare that stayed in one spot for about 15 minutes. "I guess it's possible"

The fact is there were thousands of eye witnesses not including everyone watching TV, 100's of interviews. More than a couple people saw some triangular shape fly overhead.

I'm remaining skeptical but I do find it quite interesting the military decided to test new flares at night in the middle of the city

as i seem to recall, the phoenix lights disappeared behind the mountians north-west of phoenix. difficult to do that if they were over the city itself. but i remember the coverage as i was visiting about a month afterwards.

as for the lights.. two words came to my mind when i saw the first set of double lights...

jeep... wrangler....

Ut
2004-May-12, 03:16 PM
Where the video focuses on the 6 lights, I just kept waiting for each set of three to not be perfect doubles of each other. It just didn't happen. I think that sort of reduced the impact of the large pack of mysterious floating lights...

honestmonkey
2004-May-12, 09:16 PM
Others here have said that the two groups of three look almost exactly alike, and they did to me as well. But to me, the first set of lights (set of two) in the video looked like was oncoming headlights at night.

I think there was some sort of reflection/refraction of lights from some cars on the ground (is that possible?), or maybe other aircraft in the sky.

Same old same old, though. Why look for the real cause, when we can make something up that sounds cool?

hewhocaves
2004-May-12, 09:25 PM
Others here have said that the two groups of three look almost exactly alike, and they did to me as well. But to me, the first set of lights (set of two) in the video looked like was oncoming headlights at night.

I think there was some sort of reflection/refraction of lights from some cars on the ground (is that possible?), or maybe other aircraft in the sky.

Same old same old, though. Why look for the real cause, when we can make something up that sounds cool?

the funny thing about the headlights is that they look like they had the 'foglamps' on underneath. excellent :-)

Amadeus
2004-May-12, 10:03 PM
The story I heard here on the U.K news was that they were filmed by the milliatary whilst trying to catch drug planes.

If it's not a optical illusion and the radar responce seems to negate that theory then it must be a craft.
Because the millitary released the footage tells me it's not a secret Mexican craft. So that leaves me 3 choices.

1) Aliens going home after a long night probing.

3) Mis-identified U.S aircraft.

Not sure.....

Rue
2004-May-12, 10:23 PM
Mis-identified U.S aircraft.
Not sure.....

Cancun International is not too far from there. Wonder if they got anything on radar (or even bothered with it knowing the military was in the area.)

Still think its pelicans though...

Tranquility
2004-May-13, 08:07 AM

I saw a commentary on it a few days ago on Discovery Science. The military said it was flares released by military planes and when they disappeared it was because it landed behind the hills. They also showed a video expert who superimposed video sequences taken of the mountains in the morning and the lights in the evening and it showed the lights disappearing exactly as they fell behind the mountains.

rigel
2004-May-13, 02:07 PM
Iv'e talked with my cousins, who live in the Phoenix area, and the lights only looked triangular from certain directions. Most people didn't pay much attention to them, because to them there was no pattern.

thefish7
2004-May-14, 04:26 AM
I wouldn't imagine it would have been reflections on the glass of the canopy, because what you're looking at is an infrared viewer. It's part of a multifunction display rather than the canopy, as far as I know. Interesting also that some showed on radar.

Don't know if they were aliens 8) but they were unidentified, and they were flying, so calling them UFOs wasn't too far off. I'd like to see them try to figure out what they were.

Sam5
2004-May-14, 05:24 AM
I saw a commentary on it a few days ago on Discovery Science. The military said it was flares released by military planes and when they disappeared it was because it landed behind the hills. They also showed a video expert who superimposed video sequences taken of the mountains in the morning and the lights in the evening and it showed the lights disappearing exactly as they fell behind the mountains.

That Discovery Channel documentary was excellent. It showed that the lights were flares. They looked like a “triangle” only when viewed from certain positions. They slowly disappeared behind a distant mountain.

I think they were on balloons that allowed them to stay aloft longer. A parachute flare would have descended faster.

The military tests all kinds of new stuff out here in the Southwest.