PDA

View Full Version : Mars photo strip

WaiteDavidMSPhysics
2011-Mar-07, 05:51 PM
Go to google earth mars. Coordinates
631'49.64"S
1149'19.83"E
Anyone know what the strip contained that they cut out?

pzkpfw
2011-Mar-07, 07:00 PM
This could perhaps just be in the Q&A forum. The answer is probably something mundane like "the data transmission was interrupted at that point so that part of the strip is simply missing from the source".

Or... by "they cut out" are you accusing "them" of purposely "hiding" something? In that case, this thread could stay here in the CT forum, but then you'll need to back-up this accusation (as the proposer of the conspiracy).

Bobbar
2011-Mar-07, 08:27 PM
This strip?

I get a high-resolution image from the HiRISE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HiRISE) camera on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Reconnaissance_Orbiter)

*EDIT*

Oops, I should have zoomed in more. :lol:

This is what you're looking at.

What pzkpfw said; data drop-outs. It's kind of the nature of the beast, there is always going to be anomalous or missing data.

Bobbar
2011-Mar-07, 08:40 PM
Another experiment riding along with the HiRISE on the MRO isn't missing the strip.

Found here. (http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/ctx/P19_008323_1734_XN_06S348W#start)

WaiteDavidMSPhysics
2011-Mar-07, 11:11 PM
This could perhaps just be in the Q&A forum. The answer is probably something mundane like "the data transmission was interrupted at that point so that part of the strip is simply missing from the source".

Or... by "they cut out" are you accusing "them" of purposely "hiding" something? In that case, this thread could stay here in the CT forum, but then you'll need to back-up this accusation (as the proposer of the conspiracy).

I don't need to back it up because you can clearly see the cuts in the photo. The photo itself is the back up. Or are you proposing something insane like, it wasn't cut even though you can clearly see the cut lines?

Swift
2011-Mar-08, 03:31 AM
I don't need to back it up because you can clearly see the cuts in the photo. The photo itself is the back up. Or are you proposing something insane like, it wasn't cut even though you can clearly see the cut lines?
You need to back it up because those are our rules and because a moderator informed you that those are our rules.

Since it seems clear that you are proposing some sort of conspiracy, the thread will remain in the Conspiracy Theory forum.

WaiteDavidMSPhysics, if you have not done so, I strongly advise that you review the rules for this board (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/32864-Rules-For-Posting-To-This-Board), particularly rule 12, and the Advice for Conspiracy Theory Supporters (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/86593-Advice-for-Conspiracy-Theory-Supporters). If you are not willing to follow these rules, the thread will be closed.

Mars University
2011-Mar-08, 04:17 AM
G0 T0 - esa.int

Grashtel
2011-Mar-08, 04:20 AM
G0 T0 - esa.int
Could you please write this post again this time using at least one complete sentence so it is possible to figure out what you are talking about?

slang
2011-Mar-08, 07:22 AM
Could you please write this post again this time using at least one complete sentence so it is possible to figure out what you are talking about?

Or maybe not.. MU is fascinated with JPEG artifacts in some Mars images found on the European Space Agency website (ESA.int). No need to reopen that discussion, at least not in this thread.

Tog
2011-Mar-08, 07:45 AM

This makes it sound like you are saying that that section was intentionally removed from the photo. Do you know how those images are made? It's important.

That isn't a single image, like taking a picture of a mountain, then zooming in to see the branches on the trees. The images are recorded in strips, like the way a panoramic camera works to get a full 360 degree image around itself. These strips are then stitched together to make one singe, large image.

What you see in that image is a spot where, for whatever reason, the data for that section of that strip is missing. It probably wasn't cut out out, because it very likely never existed in a usable form.

Ask yourself this question:

If "they" wanted to conceal something on the surface of Mars, which would hide it better, a glaring black stripe in the middle of a light gray-scale photo, or that same photo with the thing they want to hide masked over with a mix of a fade and clone tool that makes that bit just as hidden, but keeps it far less obvious?

Elukka
2011-Mar-08, 12:52 PM
If they wanted to conceal something on the surface of Mars, they probably wouldn't fly high resolution cameras over it and then publish those photos all over the internet.
Not that there's anything on Mars one could possibly want to conceal.

Spoons
2011-Mar-08, 11:39 PM
WaiteDavidMSPhysics, now that it's been explained how these photos are formed, do you still think there is something funny going on, or do you accept the explanations given for why there is no data at that strip?

djellison
2011-Mar-09, 06:28 AM
That's a data drop out in one of the 14 channels of HiRISE ( 10 x red, 2 x IR and 2 x BG )

WaiteDavidMSPhysics
2011-Mar-10, 05:02 AM
You need to back it up because those are our rules and because a moderator informed you that those are our rules.

Since it seems clear that you are proposing some sort of conspiracy, the thread will remain in the Conspiracy Theory forum.

WaiteDavidMSPhysics, if you have not done so, I strongly advise that you review the rules for this board (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/32864-Rules-For-Posting-To-This-Board), particularly rule 12, and the Advice for Conspiracy Theory Supporters (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/86593-Advice-for-Conspiracy-Theory-Supporters). If you are not willing to follow these rules, the thread will be closed.

No I don't need to do anything and since your rules are there so that you can sensor what you don't want people to know go ahead and close the thread, as I will not be posting to any sections of this corrupt moderator set of forums at all.

WaiteDavidMSPhysics
2011-Mar-10, 05:05 AM
WaiteDavidMSPhysics, now that it's been explained how these photos are formed, do you still think there is something funny going on, or do you accept the explanations given for why there is no data at that strip?

Must be nice to go along in life making up your own world independent of reality.

Spoons
2011-Mar-10, 07:46 AM
Is it? Fill us in.

What's your brilliant theory, and what supports it? Another baseless theory? Turtles all the way down?

We're all ears.

The rules are there for civilised discussion. What about that worries you?

captain swoop
2011-Mar-10, 08:52 AM
As requested by the OP thread closed.

If WaiteDavidMSPhysics wants to re open the thread, then report this post or PM a Mod.

Swift
2011-Mar-10, 02:12 PM
I would further add that before WaiteDavidMSPhysics makes the request for reopening the thread, he had better also decide to follow our rules.