PDA

View Full Version : New Rank

Tensor
2011-Mar-08, 05:53 AM
BTW, having noticed something today and not seeing it in the introduction and feedback sections. Is 20,000 posts the threshhold for Bad-Postdoc? While I didn't see it, that doesn't mean the announcement wasn't there. So I may have missed it.

Tobin Dax
2011-Mar-08, 06:18 AM
This is why Gillian is President. :)

I've only checked rank in the last 60 seconds, since I can't think of any other (fully-human) poster with >20k posts, but you're probably correct.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-08, 07:14 AM
I think it's an honorary title, bestowed as a one-off, not as a result of post count.

Gillianren
2011-Mar-08, 07:37 AM
I'm special because I whine a lot! And have too much spare time, apparently.

Swift
2011-Mar-08, 01:55 PM
I think it's an honorary title, bestowed as a one-off, not as a result of post count.
Henrik got it. And a certain Admin felt kindly to a long time member. And yes, Gillian is special.

Tensor
2011-Mar-08, 02:07 PM
Henrik got it. And a certain Admin felt kindly to a long time member. And yes, Gillian is special.

I figured, but with Gillianren being the only poster, besides mods and admins, over 20,000 posts, I thought I just check. And yes, Gillianren is special.

CJSF
2011-Mar-08, 02:47 PM
Wasn't Bad Post-doc one of the old rankings from the BABB before the merger?

CJSF

Swift
2011-Mar-08, 03:45 PM
Wasn't Bad Post-doc one of the old rankings from the BABB before the merger?

CJSF
Correct. Gillian was pining the loss of the old rankings in one of the other Feedback threads, and a certain Vulcan admin took kindly to her.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Mar-08, 03:47 PM
We even have special school bus for her. :-)

Gillianren
2011-Mar-08, 06:58 PM
I really do appreciate it. Whenever people tell me you don't make real friends online, I tell them about this place. I have never felt unsafe about the idea of meeting any long-term member I'd want to meet in the first place. I've gotten mail from Europe and sent mail to the East Coast. (And never felt concerned about having given my real address to people I would probably never see in Real Life.) And now, my wish has been granted. You guys . . . .

Buttercup
2011-Mar-08, 07:01 PM
Um...what exactly does "Bad Post-Doc" mean? Sorry if it's an "obvious question" but I honestly don't know and have never heard of this before.

Whenever people tell me you don't make real friends online...

Not true. :) I have some strong and steadfast online friends since 2004 -- consistently. Two of them have "been there for me" in ways no one in "real life" ever was.

Of course I prefer in-person interaction. And the past 5 years has proven once again that real-life friends can be as fleeting and/or deceptive as anything online. :-\

slang
2011-Mar-08, 07:04 PM
It used to be a forum ranking title on the old Bad Astronomy forum (which fused into BAUT), just like "newbie", "established member", "Mode-rator" and "Order of Kilopi" here. The "Bad" part was a nod to the "Bad" in "Bad Astronomy".

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-08, 07:05 PM
The old board, before the merger, had post-count titles based on academic titles. All were called Bad <something>, with Bad Post-Doc being, I think, the highest.

Gillianren
2011-Mar-08, 08:01 PM
Not true.

Yes. If you read the rest of what I said, I was disputing the belief.

ToSeek
2011-Mar-08, 08:59 PM
I was hoping someone would notice it eventually. I think I changed it about a week ago.

Gillianren
2011-Mar-08, 09:05 PM
I got a congratulatory PM almost right away.

A.DIM
2011-Mar-08, 09:12 PM
Congratulations.

My latest badge of honor would be that of my son's 4th place finish in Science written assessment at the district competition Governor's Cup; onward to regionals and hopefully state!
Not quite a "bad post doc" on BAUT I admit, but hey...

Jim
2011-Mar-08, 09:53 PM
"New Rank."

Actually, it's some of the old Members I find pretty rank, not the new ones. But, give them time.

(And belated congrats, Gillian.)

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-08, 10:06 PM
I was hoping someone would notice it eventually. I think I changed it about a week ago.
It was acknowledged on the 2nd of this month in the Order of Randi thread.

Tobin Dax
2011-Mar-08, 10:24 PM
Congratulations.

My latest badge of honor would be that of my son's 4th place finish in Science written assessment at the district competition Governor's Cup; onward to regionals and hopefully state!
Not quite a "bad post doc" on BAUT I admit, but hey...

Congrats to your son!

The state championship isn't in Petersburg, is it? :D

A.DIM
2011-Mar-09, 02:13 PM
Congrats to your son!

The state championship isn't in Petersburg, is it? :D

Thanks!
Actually though, I misspoke. Elementary competition stops with Regionals. I'll have to wait until next year at middle school, as their's proceeds to State.
So we stay in western KY, I guess, and try for 1st!

Tobin Dax
2011-Mar-09, 06:37 PM
Thanks!
Actually though, I misspoke. Elementary competition stops with Regionals. I'll have to wait until next year at middle school, as their's proceeds to State.
So we stay in western KY, I guess, and try for 1st!

Western KY's not necessarily a bad place to be. It's good to know that there's some encouragement of science education around here.

BigDon
2011-Mar-16, 10:39 PM
Nobody tells me anything...

Tobin Dax
2011-Mar-16, 11:31 PM
Don't take it personal, Don. They didn't tell anybody else, either.

grapes
2011-Mar-17, 09:10 PM
It was acknowledged on the 2nd of this month in the Order of Randi thread.
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/112526-Order-of-Randi?p=1858031#post1858031

Tobin Dax
2011-Mar-18, 01:14 AM
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/112526-Order-of-Randi?p=1858031#post1858031

Of course. I stopped reading the thread before the first of the month.