PDA

View Full Version : New Amazingly Life-like Android Better Than Star Trekís Data

Fraser
2011-Mar-10, 11:10 PM
Even though the Star Trek character “Data” was played by a human, this new android might be more life-like. Watch the video, and I think youíll agree that it is hard to tell (at first) that this is a robot. Itís called Geminoid DK, built by the Intelligent Robotics lab at Osaka University and designed [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/83970/new-amazingly-life-like-android-better-than-star-treks-data/)

Swift
2011-Mar-11, 01:30 AM
I don't know what it is about it, but I find it kind of creepy.

ravens_cry
2011-Mar-11, 03:21 AM
The smile is so very, very wrong, like a human pretending to smile, but the smile doesn't really reach the eyes. I was impressed with the nodding and the shoulder movements, it felt much more connected then a lot of androids do, the raising of the shoulders distorting the neck. They got the teeth wrong, not shiny enough, not wet enough looking. Same with the eyes.
One thing that probably helps is the features are a little homely.
One thing they didn't show was the hands, a big stumbling block for robots really looking like people. All android and gynoid hands I have seen so far have been too pudgy and too stiff. The way humans move their hands is almost a ballet, constantly twirling our fingers and wrists and digits in complicated motions.

Van Rijn
2011-Mar-11, 05:14 AM
I don't know what it is about it, but I find it kind of creepy.

The uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley) issue - when you get very close to simulating a human, but with odd differences, many people react negatively.

I was impressed with this one. It looks to me like they're starting to climb out of the human side of the uncanny valley. The main issue for me was the jerkiness of some of the motions. If they corrected that, I think it would be hard to tell for sure it was artificial unless you were very close.

ravens_cry
2011-Mar-11, 06:06 AM
I was impressed with this one. It looks to me like they're starting to climb out of the human side of the uncanny valley. The main issue for me was the jerkiness of some of the motions. If they corrected that, I think it would be hard to tell for sure it was artificial unless you were very close.
The still picture is very uncanny valley. It ALMOST looks like a real person. Almost. Another thing they did right is the schlepish appearance instead of the mannequin perfection common to androids and gynoids.