PDA

View Full Version : GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

PhantomWolf
2004-May-13, 08:09 AM
Well..... After WEEKS of rain and overcast skies, I FINALLY get out with the Binoculars and start Comet Hunting. After taking 30 mins to track it down (mutters about webpges not being updated) I finally found NEAT. Yah. Except that it was hiding behind the high cirus cloud that was coming in off the sea and had the light from the city obscuring the best view of its tail. I could just make out the tail through the light pollution, grumble. Of course had it been fine a for the last few weeks, I'd have been getting gret views as it made its way through the unpolluted sections of sky, but nooooo, we had to have the foulest wether in recorded history. Well I guess I can say I have seen it, but bah humbug!!!!

PhantomWolf
2004-May-13, 09:12 AM
Yah! The cloud passed over and the view was better. :) Not as good as telescope :( I'm only using 12x50 Binocs, but I could just make out the tail and so I'm happy. :)

glen chapman
2004-May-13, 11:09 AM
Dont beat yourself up. QT has been hiding its tail for ages. I am in the south so been watching this little minx for a couple of months

The tail has really only come on since the moon dropped out of the pciture. Although the comet is begining to dim a bit...the angle of the tail has changed enough to display a good 7 degrees, though in flashes think it may have gone to 10

Glen Chapman

ToSeek
2004-May-13, 02:00 PM
I still haven't been able to see it, though I keep trying. We've had a lot of haze, and the light pollution is really bad in that direction from where I am.

tlbs101
2004-May-13, 02:55 PM
I spotted it again last night (after several cloudy nights and not looking in the right spot), so I was happy for that. It is so washed out in the lights above downtown Albuquerque, that it is hard to see the tail, but I kept staring through 10x50's last night and in a clear seeing moment caught a whisp of tail. :D

jdjbmedina
2004-May-13, 05:52 PM
I have went out the last three nights and every nights it gets better. The first two nights i did see a small tail with some 10X50 binoculars and last night I really saw it. It was a nice sight to see. Looking forward to tonight. :D

beskeptical
2004-May-13, 06:07 PM
You don't want to hear my sad story about missing the eclipse in '99 in Mexico because clouds literally raced in as totality arrived. #-o