PDA

View Full Version : Ikea=Department store or furniture store?

Inclusa
2011-Mar-19, 06:53 AM
It just grows to be more like a department store than a furniture store: bedroom, kitchen, foodstuffs, etc, etc, etc, and features a restaurant.
No wonder it is so successful.

novaderrik
2011-Mar-19, 07:28 AM
i've never been in one, and have only ever actually seen one as i was driving by on one occasion.. but i've heard plenty of jokes about them...

how do they go about flat-packing the food in the restaurant, and are the instructions for enjoying your meal easy to follow without having anything left over when you are done?

jokergirl
2011-Mar-19, 09:56 AM
It always has. IKEA is just really good at making it easy for people to give them more money.

;)

Paul Beardsley
2011-Mar-19, 10:53 AM
i've never been in one, and have only ever actually seen one as i was driving by on one occasion.. but i've heard plenty of jokes about them...

I don't know what they are like in places other than Southampton, but in Southampton, it's an oddly claustrophobic experience, because it feels as if you have to walk a very long way to get out.

how do they go about flat-packing the food in the restaurant, and are the instructions for enjoying your meal easy to follow without having anything left over when you are done?

It's all Ryvita, sliced ham and so on. They don't give you any cutlery except for an allen key.

megrfl
2011-Mar-19, 12:41 PM
I have two little unfinished wooden lamps and a silverware drawer divider from Ikea, I purchased them from the store in Baltimore. We would go there every other month or so when we lived in that area. We don't have one in this area, so I haven't been to one in years. I consider Ikea to be a "home goods" store.

slang
2011-Mar-19, 12:52 PM
It always has. IKEA is just really good at making it easy for people to give them more money.

;)

Money doesn't buy happiness, so take this opportunity to get rid of it!

(current ad for a big mediastore here)

Inclusa
2011-Mar-20, 04:27 AM
Money itself doesn't make you happy, but money can buy things that make you happy; hence the importance of budgeting.

Gillianren
2011-Mar-20, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure I own any furniture from Ikea; if I do, I didn't buy it there myself. I do, however, have a sheepskin and a My Little Binky. (I was there the weekend I introduced my ren faire boss to Discworld. There was a large wire bin full of stuffed white horses. He looked at me and asked if I wanted a My Little Binky, and I expressed great enthusiasm. Terry Pratchett seemed alarmed when I introduced him to it. You'd think he'd be used to that kind of thing.) It's just not close enough to do any kind of regular shopping there. I'm also not a big fan of Swedish cafeteria food.

jokergirl
2011-Mar-20, 09:34 AM
I think here in Europe at least one and a half generations have now grown up with IKEA furniture; anything else than this style, and anything more advanced or expensive when you're building your first home just feels wrong.

*edit* But in reply to your actual question, what I meant was that IKEA is a furniture store, but if you buy shelves you also might need something to put in them... so why not sell porcelain... and plants for the pots... and bedclothes... and mattresses...

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-20, 05:15 PM
Basically they sell everything needed to furnish your first home.

In Scandinavia the tendency is that you know you've made if in life economy wise when you start replacing all your IKEA furniture with "real" stuff. It's basically "learners" furniture.

That said, it's hard to beat the flexibility of some of their shelf systems.

ETA Hmmm, looks like instead of making a thumbnail image, vBulletin shows a copy with really lossy compression, without saving the original.

jokergirl
2011-Mar-21, 10:28 AM
Pfft, to be honest lots of IKEA furniture is a whole lot better both in quality and design (I mean design as in "form follows function"-wise) to most of the more expensive stuff I see around.

Though I am sure that as long as it can be bought in a chain store it's still not "real" furniture...

http://joker.mirar.org/P?loc=fotojunk/DSC05305.jpg&get=m
<--yes, most things in my home are from IKEA too, except the bed, which is built by my BF...

;)

novaderrik
2011-Mar-21, 11:27 AM
Basically they sell everything needed to furnish your first home.

In Scandinavia the tendency is that you know you've made if in life economy wise when you start replacing all your IKEA furniture with "real" stuff. It's basically "learners" furniture.

That said, it's hard to beat the flexibility of some of their shelf systems.

ETA Hmmm, looks like instead of making a thumbnail image, vBulletin shows a copy with really lossy compression, without saving the original.

in America, the tendency is for people to start out with castoff furniture from family and friends, with the occasional garage sale or thrift store find thrown in for good measure. well, at least for poor people like me, anyways..
eventually, that old flower print couch from the 50's that grandma gave you is replaced with something new(er) that is more comfortable and maybe only one color.

my first couch was an old brown thing that no longer had springs in it- i piled a bunch of old blankets under the cushions and it was actually kind of comfy. my first end tables were a pair of brand new (but old) circle track race car tires with some storm windows sitting on top.. my first dinner table was from my mom's house, and it had 3 chairs that didn't match.. i think my $5 20 year old 19" tv sat on a couple of old cinder blocks with a couple of 2X6 pieces of lumber forming a "shelf" between them to hold it off the floor.. all this was in the lovely 1966 vintage 12X60 trailer house with 2X2 walls and no insulation that my grandpa bought me for $1000.. i still have the table, but with different chairs, and i've still got the tires, but they aren't here..

looking around, i think the only new furniture i've ever bought is the computer desk and chair that i bought at Office Depot when i got my first computer in 1998 and the $20 Wal Mart shelf that holds most of my dvd and VHS movie collection that i bought in '05.. everything else is used and i think the only thing i paid money for was the couch that i got at the Salvation Army when i moved here 2 years ago for $25. wow.. i've been on my own since the summer of '94 and that's the only new furniture i've purchased since then- i guess that seems kind of sad until you go out in the garage and see the $10,000 or so in tools i've accumulated...