PDA

View Full Version : Why are Dobsonian Telescopes a Favorite Among Amateur Astronomers?

Fraser
2011-Mar-22, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the scary and expensive world of buying your first, or replacing your old telescope! I am asked all the time “What telescope should I buy” or “What telescope do I need to see X with?” Nine times out of ten, I recommend a Dobsonian Telescope. So what is a Dobsonian telescope and why [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/84285/why-are-dobsonian-telescopes-a-favorite-among-amateur-astronomers/)

astromark
2011-Mar-23, 04:51 AM
Its a two horse race. Dependant on your use and need the answer changes...and the price goes up and up...
I agree100% the dobi's are very good. They are the most used scope... and that is the key to this subject.
The telescope that is most convienient and practicle are the best. The scope I want to use.
While back at the top of the hill in the Observatory, No. Now I want all the bells and whistles of goto and motor drives and automation and a coffee machine.:cool:.. Oops how did that slip in...

Spoons
2011-Mar-23, 05:17 AM
While back at the top of the hill in the Observatory, No. Now I want all the bells and whistles of goto and motor drives and automation and a coffee machine.:cool:.. Oops how did that slip in...

But the whole being at the Observatory bit starts to reduce the amateurishness of the user, probably. ;)

And drink tea instead. It's what all the hip cats drink.

redshifter
2011-Mar-24, 04:59 PM
Good article, though it didn't seem to specifically call out the Dobsonian mount's inherent stability advantage compared to other mount types; and how important a stable mount is.