PDA

View Full Version : Futurestates

Swift
2011-Mar-31, 08:55 PM
Apparently this web series called "Futurestates" has been around for awhile (they are just starting season 2), but I just heard about it today.

Futurestates website (http://www.futurestates.tv/)

What will become of America in five, 25, or even 50 years from today? This series of independent mini-features explores possible future scenarios through the prism of today’s global realities. Immerse yourself in the visions of these independent prognosticators as they inhabit a future of their own imagining.

Has anyone watched any of these?

I'll probably check some out at home as I have the chance.

Van Rijn
2011-Mar-31, 09:11 PM
I looked at the synopses, and the majority appear to be "horrible future" stories. I think I'll pass.

John Jaksich
2011-Apr-09, 03:59 PM
I looked at the synopses, and the majority appear to be "horrible future" stories. I think I'll pass.

I glanced at the site---it is backed by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting--in the U.S.

And, seemingly--there are teacher/classroom guides ----I would estimate that it is a good guide to "self-fulfilling prophecy"-thought pattern which all too prevalent to the anxiety-riven multitudes. If anything it would prove to be a good exercise in how to break that nasty habit.

I can remember having such diversions on rainy days in some of my High School courses . . . many years ago---it has been useful to me at least . . .

publiusr
2011-Apr-09, 05:09 PM
Here is what I see.

A new Pan-Asian Alliance after WWII becomes ancient history.
A unified latinized New World, Phillip IV's dream come true. Malaga and Gibraltar replace Rome, London and the Hague in influence. Andalusia becomes the bridge between the Spanish speaking New World and a neo-Ottoman empire which controls the rest of the World Island.

Blade Runner meets Casablanca.

Starring this man as President of Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Siddig

I can only hope. Looking forward to the architecture, I should live so long.

Romanus
2011-Apr-09, 07:28 PM
I think I recall seeing the "Futurestates" graphic, but knew nothing else about it. I'll have to check it out, but purely as art (I mean, come on, Werner Herzog has a segment); I consider sociopolitical trends utterly impossible to predict. Without getting into forbidden territory, think of the upheaval currently going on in the Middle East; not only was it not predicted, it was and has been heavily influenced by social media, which itself is a surprise (as common as cells already were in 2001, I don't think many people saw Twitter, Facebook, or Google Earth coming).

publiusr
2011-Apr-09, 07:43 PM
That's true enough. I really think the previous president thought that the collapse of Saddam would be surrounded by such cries for democracy--and yet the spawn of ARPANET did more damage to dictators than the preservation of Cold War/WWII logistical might (carriers and bases worldwide) ever did. Something to remember come budget cutting time.

Githyanki
2011-Apr-09, 09:22 PM
Interesting. Ever notice every film about the future has the current era's feel? Films made in the '80s about the future have people and clothes that are distinctively '80s.

Romanus
2011-Apr-10, 04:53 AM
Having seen a few episodes, I can say that this is an amazing show, strongly reminiscent of SF Channel's old (and excellent) "Exposure" series.

Van Rijn
2011-Apr-10, 06:03 AM
Are there any "positive future" episodes? That is, where the future is shown as at least as good or better than today, not nuclear war, etc.