PDA

View Full Version : Technology Fantasy or Science Fiction?

Inclusa
2011-Apr-04, 02:31 AM
The former can be applied to almost anything that people may shout "bad science!" or "impossible"; the later has some applications of scientific theories.
What do you think?

Noclevername
2011-Apr-16, 01:02 PM
Which technology are you talking about?

Inclusa
2011-Apr-16, 09:16 PM
Ok, be it weaponry, biotechnology, communication, etc.
Are we really capable of converting from energy to mass, or vice versa, for instance?
Although quantum physics (which I have but superficial understandings) talk about parallel universes, what's the probability of traveling between them?

Noclevername
2011-Apr-16, 09:27 PM
Ok, be it weaponry, biotechnology, communication, etc.
Are we really capable of converting from energy to mass, or vice versa, for instance?
Although quantum physics (which I have but superficial understandings) talk about parallel universes, what's the probability of traveling between them?

We can't, as far as I know, convert energy into any signifigant amount of matter. As for parallel universes, there isn't even any consensus among quantum physicists as to whether or not they actually exist, or are merely a mathematical construct or useful metaphor. In either case, the physics we know of suggests that it's not possible to travel between universes.

Other things we almost certainly can't do according to known science are travel faster than light, communicate faster than light, teleport matter, create a perpetual motion machine, travel backwards through time, or reverse gravity.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Apr-17, 07:25 AM
The former can be applied to almost anything that people may shout "bad science!" or "impossible"; the later has some applications of scientific theories.
What do you think?
I think you've been reading Robinson's posts too much and is starting to adopt his style.

Hernalt
2011-Apr-17, 10:51 AM
Science catalogs the observable, derives fundamental relations and operations, provides predictions for statistical reproducibility / dependability. (Bernoulli's Principle.)

Technology is thoughtful application of scientific principles. (Wright Brothers.)

Fiction is proactive and puts in the painful effort to craft a plausible, palpable world. (2001, 2010, Red Planet, Sunshine, Moon. ?Avatar.)

Fantasy is reactive and puts in slight effort in pursuit of a wishful, sensory world. (Dracula, Frankenstein, Barbarella, Flash Gordon, goth, horror.)

Fantasy is natively orthogonal to science and technology.

Fantasy can be transformed into Fiction only through labor-intensive, rigorous world-building. (Plan 9 From Outer Space.)

[ fiction. late 14c., "something invented," from O.Fr. ficcion (13c.) "dissimulation, ruse; invention," and directly from L. fictionem (nom. fictio) "a fashioning or feigning," noun of action from pp. stem of fingere "to shape, form, devise, feign," originally "to knead, form out of clay," from PIE *dheigh- (cf. O.E. dag "dough;" see dough). As a branch of literature, 1590s.

fantasy (n.). early 14c., "illusory appearance," from O.Fr. fantaisie (14c.) "vision, imagination," from L. phantasia, from Gk. phantasia "appearance, image, perception, imagination," from phantazesthai "picture to oneself," from phantos "visible," from phainesthai "appear," in late Greek "to imagine, have visions," related to phaos, phos "light," phainein "to show, to bring to light" (see phantasm). Sense of "whimsical notion, illusion" is pre-1400, followed by that of "imagination," which is first attested 1530s. Sense of "day-dream based on desires" is from 1926. ]

Inclusa
2011-Apr-18, 12:47 AM
These definitions are fairly helpful; I guess Star Wars is strictly fantasy.
If technologies have to be scientifically plausible, what do we call these fantastic "technologies" such as conversion between energy and mass? Magic?

Noclevername
2011-Apr-18, 01:11 AM
"Hypothetical".