PDA

View Full Version : On The Subject Of Intentionally Watching Bad Movies.

BigDon
2011-Apr-07, 01:58 AM
Have a lot of family and friends in town I haven't seen in years, combined with sleepless nights, no job but to bother you people, good whiskey and a substription to On Demand cable tv. And I find myself watching truely atrocious cinema. Sometimes because the remote is out of veiw and you can't get up to change the channel but this time was on purpose.

Hobo With A Shotgun. With Rutgar Hauer. (Gillian, unless you are a group of guys seriously working a bourbon drunk I highly don't recommend this film. Even the trailer would be offensive, sober.)

But it was only a third of the way through the movie that I realized I could have made it about three times better, which isn't saying much*, by a simple cast change of Nathan Lane instead of Rutgar Hauer and swapping out a single letter in the title. About a guy who opens a new hair salon in town instead of a bum, who would have just kept going, not having any stake there. Nathan Lane would be defending his life long investment! The last thing the bad guys would hear would be "Faaab-bu-louuus!!" then *Blam*.

But I've found there are some people who you can't even intentionally watch a bad movie with because they start to natter like ten year olds as to the whys and wherefores, and that's not realistic blah, blah, blah. And they get mad because you can't tell when they are asking rhectorical questions or not. I seriously wanted to pinch his lips shut and had to scoot my chair away from him in case I had drank enough to do just that.

Don't want to seem rude and all.

*That's like bragging about making something that tastes three times better than a poop sandwich.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Apr-07, 06:20 AM
Just saw 15 seconds of the trailer, I don't know much about guns, but isn't pumping the shotgun every few seconds for the intimidation really stupid and wasteful of shells that could have been used for shooting someone instead of just lying around on the ground?

Tog
2011-Apr-07, 11:06 AM
Just saw 15 seconds of the trailer, I don't know much about guns, but isn't pumping the shotgun every few seconds for the intimidation really stupid and wasteful of shells that could have been used for shooting someone instead of just lying around on the ground?

Yep. But more importantly, the second time they work the pump and nothing comes out, it means the gun is empty and can be used only as a club.

I did a blog for NaNo that covered some gun stuff to save time answering the same questions repeatedly on the forums there. I covered that one at length in the bit about peeves and errors.

SeanF
2011-Apr-07, 01:43 PM
But more importantly, the second time they work the pump and nothing comes out, it means the gun is empty and can be used only as a club.
Just to clarify, this doesn't mean the second time that nothing comes out - it could be the first time nothing comes out, as long as it's (at least) the second time they pumped it. :)

Gillianren
2011-Apr-07, 05:33 PM
Hobo With A Shotgun. With Rutgar Hauer. (Gillian, unless you are a group of guys seriously working a bourbon drunk I highly don't recommend this film. Even the trailer would be offensive, sober.)

Well, I miss all three of those, then.

I have intentionally watched terrible movies, but I want someone else in the room picking on it with me. Barry Lyndon (the worst movie Kubrick ever made) was unbearable for the first hour and a half. At about the midway point, though, my best friend came in and started laughing at it with me, and the second hour and a half sailed by. I've watched Ed Wood movies alone, but it's not as fun. Also, they're not as bad as everyone seems to believe. Oh, they're bad, all right. Just not that bad. Plan 9 is not, no matter what anyone tells you, the worst movie ever made. Not even close.

NEOWatcher
2011-Apr-07, 05:48 PM
I got this DVD as a gift: Horror: Do Not Watch Alone - 15 Films (http://www.amazon.com/Horror-Not-Watch-Alone-Films/dp/B002X4BDFW)
Some are so bad they're hilarious.

mike alexander
2011-Apr-07, 06:48 PM
But it was only a third of the way through the movie that I realized I could have made it about three times better, which isn't saying much*, by a simple cast change of Nathan Lane instead of Rutgar Hauer and swapping out a single letter in the title

"Hobo with a Shogun"? Intriguing concept.

In more recent terms, my wife and I went to the local pizza/theatre this week and saw Black Swan. We intentionally stayed until the end.

The pizza was excellent.

Rhaedas
2011-Apr-07, 06:57 PM
Anytime bad movies are mentioned, I have to plug Skyline. I just wish the aliens would have won earlier. Yeah, spoiler, but believe me, you don't want to bother.

danscope
2011-Apr-07, 08:12 PM
If you are going to enjoy watching bad movies, try watching them with Elvira on Movie Macabre . Nothing like a great
B movie with Elvira . See you at thye movies .

Inclusa
2011-Apr-08, 04:04 AM
Did anyone try IMDB for bad movies? Is Manos really that bad?

Gillianren
2011-Apr-08, 04:29 AM
Manos is really that bad.

Now, I personally have only seen it with puppets in the corner; half the movies at least on the Bottom 100 are movies which aired on either Comedy Central (or even The Comedy Channel!) or Sci-Fi with puppets in the corner. On the other hand, yes, Manos is the worst movie of its nature I have ever seen. (My big budget and low budget "worst ever" lists are separate.) I don't think it has a single redeeming feature beyond making a funny episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Ara Pacis
2011-Apr-08, 06:44 AM
I started to watch a really bad one the other night on SyFy, "2012-something" about a Gamma Ray Burst or something. The acting, dialogue and cinematography was so bad that I couldn't watch it after 5 minutes. I mean, in that time they managed to have some bad guys shoot at them, run them off the road, and they drive back up on the road and you can see the black suburban behind them, but now they are "safe". I think the entire dialog for those few minutes was everal go-nowhere Q & A cycles of "What's going on?" and " you know I can't tell you" repeated over and over with increasing levels of pause in between to show emphasis.

As for the OP, I think it would be great to see "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar" meets "Zombieland".

I was gonna suggest "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" meets "Zombieland" but then I remembered "Max Max Beyond Thunderdome"

BigDon
2011-Apr-08, 03:43 PM
Never heard of Manos.

I couldn't believe I sat through The man who fell to Earth. I had read the book and had high hopes.

Gillianren
2011-Apr-08, 04:30 PM
Don, Manos: The Hands of Fate is generally considered the single worst movie to appear in the history of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and possibly ever. We start with the technical limitations. The camera they had to use only held about thirty seconds of film and didn't record sound. They dubbed all the voices in post-production . . . using four people. The little girl who was in the movie cried when she heard how she sounded in the movie. Though I'm also given to understand she's the only human actor who got paid. She got, as I recall, a new bicycle. One of the dogs got a bag of dog food. Everyone else was supposed to be paid a share of the profits. Only the movie was so breathtakingly terrible there weren't any. And you may hear about the scene (because I'm about to tell you) where the Master's Brides wrestle each other for, I don't know, five minutes while wearing diaphanous white gowns and think, "Hey, all right!" Only don't. It manages to be anti-erotic.

The Man Who Fell to Earth, I actually kind of liked. Then again, I didn't read the book.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Apr-08, 06:42 PM
About two seconds of searching on YouTube found that entire MST3K episode available for watching. Even with puppets in the corner I was unable to watch it for more than a few seconds after I held out for the title screen.

BTW. according to that, it's "Manos" The Hands of Fate.

BigDon
2011-Apr-08, 06:53 PM
The Man Who Fell to Earth, I actually kind of liked. Then again, I didn't read the book.

I just saw on IMDB that The Man Who Fell to Earth came out when I was sixteen.

That may have had something to do with forming my opinion as well. I haven't seen but the once.

Maybe a re-visit is in order.

grapes
2011-Apr-08, 07:35 PM
"Hobo with a Shogun"? Intriguing concept.My first thought, exactly. Also, Bobo with a Shotgun--clowns on the lam.

The Master of Disguise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_of_Disguise):
In March 2007, aggregate review website Rotten Tomatoes ranked the movie as the 18th worst-reviewed movie of the 00's decade, with a 2% fresh rating.[2] Comedian and former Mystery Science Theater 3000 host Michael J. Nelson named the film the third-worst comedy ever made.Nelson's list:
1. Little Nicky
2. Junior
3. The Master of Disguise
4. It's Pat: The Movie
5. Chairman of the Board (Carrot Top!)

Gillianren
2011-Apr-09, 05:07 PM
About two seconds of searching on YouTube found that entire MST3K episode available for watching. Even with puppets in the corner I was unable to watch it for more than a few seconds after I held out for the title screen.

It's not an episode I watch often (I prefer I Accuse My Parents), but I have sat through it a dozen or so times since its initial airing.

BTW. according to that, it's "Manos" The Hands of Fate.

Yeah, but whether another puppets-in-the-corner movie is The Head That Wouldn't Die or The Brain That Wouldn't Die depends on whether you check the end titles or the start titles. I'm sure they punctuate it differently, though I'd have to watch it again to be sure. But how much do we trust people who named their movie Hands: The Hands of Fate?

I just saw on IMDB that The Man Who Fell to Earth came out when I was sixteen.

That may have had something to do with forming my opinion as well. I haven't seen but the once.

Maybe a re-visit is in order.

I saw it maybe five years ago because David Bowie's in it. Apparently, the character of his lawyer in the movie is gay not for any plot reason but because some people are gay, you know.

mike alexander
2011-Apr-09, 05:34 PM
For that matter, doesn't 'manos' mean 'hands' in Spanish?

Gillianren
2011-Apr-09, 05:42 PM
Yes. Hence having named their movie Hands: The Hands of Fate.

danscope
2011-Apr-10, 02:31 AM
There was a particularly odd movie on MST 3000, made in Japan, in which almost all of the men in the movie were named
" Ken " !!. The cameo line was ..." Ah ha ha ha ha..... You're stuck here ! " . So long as the bots are watching,
it's good for a laugh !!! :)

Dan

Romanus
2011-Apr-10, 04:17 PM
I'm an unabashed lover of bad films, just so long as they don't take themselves seriously. A film made with no pretense other than being utterly assured in its awfulness (The Scorpion King, Cool World) is one I can watch over and over. A film that insists that it's good while in fact being terrible (The Rage: Carrie 2, The Village) is one I have zero use for.

tashirosgt
2011-Apr-12, 04:28 AM
Back in the days of analog TV, you could mis-adjust the sets to show really wierd colors and watch bad movies that way. I don't know if that's possible with modern TVs. I've stopped watching TV at all.

CyberCecil
2011-Apr-18, 01:03 PM
My childhood was filled with bad movies. If it was on VHS in the 80's I probably saw it. Plus, in the 80's, before cable was 90% infomercials and reality shows there was always a bad movie on. Especially the weekend matinees or the late night schlockfests.

Inclusa
2011-Apr-19, 03:55 AM
I recall cases of so-called "critically acclaimed movies" aren't really my cup of tea.

Noclevername
2011-Apr-24, 02:45 AM
My first thought, exactly. Also, Bobo with a Shotgun--clowns on the lam.

Poor lam.

Hobo with a Snotgun-- now that's a gross-out film.

danscope
2011-Apr-24, 03:17 AM
I watched part of " Attack of the giant leeches" tonight. It must be one of Corman's top ten .

Tom Servo
2011-Apr-25, 12:12 PM
Did someone say, "Manos, the hands of fate..."

http://cinematrices.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/vlcsnap-02272.jpg?w=450

parallaxicality
2011-Apr-25, 01:17 PM
Has anyone watched "Pulgasari"? It's in the public domain (sorta), so you can watch it on youtube.

It's an abject lesson that if you want to make a good movie, don't kidnap your director and hold him prisoner for eight years.

Caution Robot
2011-Apr-29, 08:38 PM
"Troll 2" has got to be the ultimate so-bad-it's-good movie. It has been described as being like: "a movie put together by professional filmmakers… after they suffered a severe blow to the head."

danscope
2011-Apr-30, 03:01 AM
"Well Mrs. Gehttigoosecreature , I can give you a punch in the ribs and a kick in the pants".
" No,...... I want ' The Blow on the head ."

AGN Fuel
2011-May-05, 02:57 AM
My wife and I used to save Thursday nights for pizza and terrible movies. We would scour video stores looking for the worst they had to offer.

The one where we finally looked at each other and thought "We really have got to be doing more with our lives than this..." was after watching a bizarre concoction called "Monster Dog", featuring Alice Cooper.

danscope
2011-May-05, 03:33 AM
Now that movie sounds like a real "dog" .

danscope
2011-May-07, 05:08 AM
Say... does anyone remember " Feep " from WNAC channel 7 in Boston back in 1963 and his show late saturday night
called " Fantasmic Features " ??? Good stuff. Black and white sci-fy creepy movies . Back in the day....

Red Shirt
2011-May-16, 08:16 PM
Many years ago, while I was overseas, me and my buddies went on a bad movie kick for a while. We found one in particular, Xtro that touted the Director's claim to fame as being the sequel... I remember very little from it, other that it was bad, gross and the sequel had nothing to do with the original.

Then there was this little gem called Mean Guns, starring Christopher Lambert and Ice T. Wow. Take all the shoot out scenes from Tarrentino movies, mash them up with meth, watch it on acid and you have Mean Guns.

The last one that comes to mind was one I caught on USA Up! All Night. (Already setting the bar low there!) I cant even remember the title... it was Rollerblading Justice Babes or something or other. It was so ridiculously low budget that they didn't even use rollerblades. Even though I saw this in my mid-teens and with pretty ladies on skates, the plot and acting wasn't exactly the first thing on my mind, equipment mentioned in the title that wasn't present in the movie was still a glaring omission. They aired the sequel after it and to my recollection, they still hadn't gotten the rollerblades sorted in that one either.

I recall cases of so-called "critically acclaimed movies" aren't really my cup of tea.

I like to call those movies the ones that are nominated/win an Oscar in a category you've never heard of! :razz:

Gillianren
2011-May-17, 03:22 AM
I like to call those movies the ones that are nominated/win an Oscar in a category you've never heard of! :razz:

Um . . . why? There are a lot of movies I can't stand but which won major categories.

Red Shirt
2011-May-17, 10:11 PM
Just light hearted fun-poking at movies that I don't care for either, but also end being talked up by others as being the "[insert movie theme] of the [insert time period]."

The few times I have watched the Oscars there seems to be on occasion a clustering of movies with what seems to be esoteric themes that get nominated in on category or another that leave me wondering why one would want to see them.

But I'm just one person though. The voting Academy numbers in the hundreds so they must have pleased someone...

Gillianren
2011-May-17, 11:55 PM
Thousands, actually.

I watch the Oscars ever year. And I can assure you that, every year, there are incredibly successful movies up for awards. Not even just technical awards, either. Titanic won (undeservedly) a ton of Oscars. All three Lord of the Rings movies won Oscars, including a clean sweep for Return of the King--eleven nominations, eleven wins. The original Star Wars won more than a few itself--and lost Best Picture to Annie Hall, more's the pity. Harry Potter hasn't won anything yet, but five of the seven movies were nominated. I was shocked and disappointed that Tron: Legacy wasn't nominated for Visual Effects, Costume Design, or Score, but it was nominated for Sound Editing.

And, yeah, some of the categories run to being full of more obscure movies. Such as, say, Foreign Language Film and Documentary Feature. But personally, I tend to be more confused as to why anyone would watch the big, crashy blockbusters which generally fill the technical categories than the esoteric films which are more likely to fill the acting or writing categories.

NGCHunter
2011-May-26, 05:49 PM
Yes. Hence having named their movie Hands: The Hands of Fate.

May explain why the crew who worked on the film referred to it as "Mangos: Cans of Fruit." Oh by the way, they're making a sequel. Yes, you heard right.
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2010/06/17/manos-hands-of-fate-sequel-on-the-way/
http://www.torgolives.com/

Gillianren
2011-May-26, 05:58 PM
I knew before I looked at the link that it was going to be a fan-made production. Though apparently with some of the original cast, poor souls.

Spoons
2011-Jun-27, 06:56 AM
I just found a whole stash of really bad movies! Yay!

Years ago I had an idea, for finding music samples, to seek out really bad movies in the cheap bin at the local $2 store and got 4 or so different DVDs, each with 5 or so movies, each set based on either horror, musicals, comedy or whatever.

I'm just watching the first one now - The Carnival of Souls. It's strange but I like it. A bad old movie is far more tolerable than a bad modern movie. I don't know why, that's just how I see it.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-27, 09:15 AM
Wait, Carnival of Souls? That's not a bad movie!

grapes
2011-Jun-27, 10:12 AM
The Master of Disguise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_of_Disguise)I've changed my mind. My personal worst is now Adjustment Bureau. 'Course, I saw it on a tiny screen on a plane, but that doesn't explane it, unfortunately.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-27, 10:31 AM
Please tell me you didn't try to explane yourself while watching it.

swampyankee
2011-Jun-27, 11:01 AM
My first thought, exactly. Also, Bobo with a Shotgun--clowns on the lam.

The Master of Disguise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_of_Disguise):Nelson's list:
1. Little Nicky
2. Junior
3. The Master of Disguise
4. It's Pat: The Movie
5. Chairman of the Board (Carrot Top!)

Bobo with a Shotgun, starring Nathan Lane. Works for me :eek:

Spoons
2011-Jun-27, 11:41 AM

Well, it seemed pretty bad at first. It did improve after the first half hour or so.

Gillianren
2011-Jun-27, 04:42 PM
I found Carnival of Souls strangely hypnotic. It's available on the public domain channel on my Roku; I may go back and watch it again.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jun-27, 05:09 PM
I like Carnival of Souls. I've got it on DVD. Actually I don't remember much about it, except that it has been compared to Night of the Living Dead. Probably something along the lines of, "Carnival of Souls, unlike Night of the Living Dead, plays safe with the genre..."

Gillianren
2011-Jun-27, 05:20 PM
You've got to love any movie filmed at least in part at a disused amusement park in Utah. And to me, the difference between Carnival of Souls and Night of the Living Dead starts with the former's being interesting. Also by the fine people at Centron, on vacation from providing us with educational shorts.

DonM435
2011-Jun-27, 05:21 PM

They re-used the title for a bad movie in the 1980s or 1990s. Sadly, there's no law against doing that.

Gillianren
2011-Jun-27, 06:44 PM
Nope. You can't copyright titles. And if you think about it, there are some good movies/stories/songs/whatever which used titles previously used by not-so-good works. It cuts both ways.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-27, 07:20 PM
I haven't seen the Wes Craven Presents... title, but the cover kinda suggested it wasn't going in the original's direction, what with the Pennywise ripoff.

As usual, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on Night of the Living Dead.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jun-27, 07:48 PM
As usual, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on Night of the Living Dead.

Yes, a film that spawned a massive genre that's bigger than ever nearly half a century on must have had something going for it...

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-27, 08:21 PM
I was thinking more of its stark black and white photography, unrelenting, visceral tone, and socio-political subtexts; starting its own genre doesn't necessarily make something good, and anyway, the genre started with I Am Legend.

Gillianren
2011-Jun-27, 08:52 PM
Does it count if the subtexts are all unintentional? And if we're talking movies, you mean The Last Man on Earth. Starring Vincent Price! It's also not very good, but not as bad as I was expecting.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-27, 08:59 PM
Romero's gone back and forth for decades on which subtexts were intended and which weren't, but intentional or not, I think subtexts still count if they inspire their audience, and NotLD's certainly did.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jun-27, 09:07 PM
I was thinking more of its stark black and white photography, unrelenting, visceral tone, and socio-political subtexts; starting its own genre doesn't necessarily make something good, and anyway, the genre started with I Am Legend.

There's no denying that I Am Legend (and its first movie adaptation) inspired Night of the Living Dead, but the plethora of zombie movies, games, comic strips, TV series and so on are all part of a zombie genre that is quite distinct from Matheson's tale of vampires, who could talk, reason and collaborate, and who feared sunlight. Besides which, if we're going to credit Matheson with starting the genre, why not credit Bram Stoker, who clearly inspired him?

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-27, 09:10 PM
I'd rather credit Mary Shelley, who wrote The Last Man; a book I'm pretty sure inspired Matheson far more than Dracula.

Gillianren
2011-Jun-27, 09:48 PM
About the only zombie movie I have ever truly enjoyed is I Walked With a Zombie, which is the classic voodoo zombie and not the Romero neo-zombie. It's also a telling of Jane Eyre and a far better movie than I had expected it to be.

Spoons
2011-Jun-28, 05:29 PM
I found Carnival of Souls strangely hypnotic. It's available on the public domain channel on my Roku; I may go back and watch it again.

It was kind of, yeah. There are a number of sets of strange eyes in that film.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jun-28, 07:00 PM
I'd rather credit Mary Shelley, who wrote The Last Man; a book I'm pretty sure inspired Matheson far more than Dracula.

I get the feeling you're arguing for the sake of arguing here.

Dracula gets a mention in I Am Legend. A novel which treats vampirism as if it had a scientific basis is likely to be a response to a popular vampire novel. According to Wikipedia, at least, Matheson does not mention The Last Man, and it was not generally available between 1833 and 1965 (I Am Legend came out in 1954), so I don't know why you're "pretty sure" it inspired him far more than Dracula. Maybe he read a description of it (evidence for this would be helpful, BTW), but by the 1960s there were many SF stories about humanity being wiped out.

It may well be the case that Night of the Living Dead would not have existed if it hadn't been for I Am Legend, but it was necessary for Night of the Living Dead to exist for the zombie genre to have exploded the way it did. Romero-rules zombie films have an identity which is quite distinct from I Am Legend. To say I Am Legend started the zombie genre is like saying Einstein's father discovered relativity.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-28, 08:18 PM
Say more "arguing for the sake of introducing personal beliefs". Yes, I know there's no established connection between I Am Legend and The Last Man but I find, from personal experience of reading all three books many times, that Stoker's novel didn't really contribute anything to I Am Legend. Yes, I Am Legend references Dracula several times but, despite Stoker's focus on modern science and technology, his novel is primarily about the supernatural. The Count and his minions remain supernatural, demonic, spiritual beings. I Am Legend is a science fiction novel. Matheson's vampires are physical, predatory creatures; they don't turn into mist, don't turn into bats, don't psychically extend their minds into others, don't regain their youth, and, let's not forget, turn to dust in sunlight, which Dracula never did.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jun-28, 09:13 PM
Stoker's novel didn't really contribute anything to I Am Legend

Matheson's take was a "what if" - "what if vampires had a scientific basis rather than a supernatural one?" Clearly he was kicking against Stoker's novel, deliberately changing the tropes. Which he clearly wouldn't have been able to do if it (and the various legends and good and bad film adaptations) had not existed.

It is similar to what Lindqvist (author of Let The Right One In) did in his novel Handling The Undead. "What if there was a zombie outbreak that was almost completely unlike the ones in the Romero films?" Or what Lucius Shepard did with The Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter - "What kind of story can I tell about a dragon which takes a completely different turn to The Hobbit and the work of Anne McCaffrey and her imitators?"

bunker9603
2011-Jun-29, 02:26 AM
This has to be the worse movie ever made in the history of bad movies:

"Rubber" a killer tire movie, “is the story of Robert (a rubber tire), an inanimate tire that has been abandoned in the desert, and suddenly and inexplicably comes to life.

It rolls around chasing people and killing them...

You can see the trailer below:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/rubber/trailer

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-29, 05:07 AM
Matheson's take was a "what if" - "what if vampires had a scientific basis rather than a supernatural one?" Clearly he was kicking against Stoker's novel, deliberately changing the tropes. Which he clearly wouldn't have been able to do if it (and the various legends and good and bad film adaptations) had not existed.

But that's the point. He could just as easily have drawn the tropes from the legends or the film adaptations. As far as I can see, the novel itself didn't get a lookin.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jun-29, 05:35 AM
Yes, I Am Legend references Dracula several times

But that's the point. He could just as easily have drawn the tropes from the legends or the film adaptations. As far as I can see, the novel itself didn't get a lookin.

I'm done here.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-29, 06:42 AM
I should have said "namechecked".

ggremlin
2011-Jun-29, 09:50 AM
This has to be the worse movie ever made in the history of bad movies:

"Rubber" a killer tire movie, “is the story of Robert (a rubber tire), an inanimate tire that has been abandoned in the desert, and suddenly and inexplicably comes to life.

It rolls around chasing people and killing them...

You only think so, have you ever head of the "Creeping Terror"? A shag carpet from Outer Space comes to eat people for analysis. They don't even run, just stand there, screaming and actually help get eaten. It is so bad, the director lost the audio and had to Narrator it.

Gillianren
2011-Jun-29, 06:19 PM
I've been watching a lot of educational shorts on my public domain channel recently, and I've been surprised occasionally. Yes, there's that terrible one from the National Spring Council or whatever, but there's also a fairly intelligent one from 1960 or so about how to deal with the mentally ill made for police in New Orleans. The only cringeworthy part of it is the statement that the hospital won't take the guy in without a report from a doctor, and the doctor won't be there until Monday. The moral of the story is "don't exhibit troubling behaviour outside office hours."

bunker9603
2011-Jun-29, 08:40 PM
I've been watching a lot of educational shorts on my public domain channel recently, and I've been surprised occasionally. Yes, there's that terrible one from the National Spring Council or whatever, but there's also a fairly intelligent one from 1960 or so about how to deal with the mentally ill made for police in New Orleans. The only cringeworthy part of it is the statement that the hospital won't take the guy in without a report from a doctor, and the doctor won't be there until Monday. The moral of the story is "don't exhibit troubling behaviour outside office hours."

In Cincinnati a Police Officer can have someone held for "Evaluation" for up to 72 hours by filling out what is known as a "Pink Sheet". In most cases a life squad is used to transport the pt.

Gillianren
2011-Jun-29, 10:53 PM
The issue is, where do they have them held? In this, it was clearly just a generic police cell, though they made sure it was the one closest to the desk, so the guy watching the cells could keep an eye on him.

Tor Hershman
2011-Jul-01, 12:56 PM
Methinks that MST3K was made for folk that are
Genuinely frightened by SciFi/horror films. I don’t care for MST3K at-t-all.

Try "The Revenge Of Dr. X."

Gillianren
2011-Jul-01, 04:42 PM
I have never been genuinely frightened by a sci-fi/horror film in my life. I am very rarely genuinely creeped out--anything realistic about cannibalism can keep me awake for hours--but never frightened.

DonM435
2011-Jul-30, 05:40 AM
Anything wrong with this ad copy?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/DJMan435/Dinosaurus2.jpg

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-30, 05:52 AM
Apart from real dinosaurs also having dna I can't think of anything.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jul-30, 06:25 AM
Cavemen didn't start wearing t-shirts and jeans until 64 million years ago, by which time dinosaurs were extinct.

DonM435
2011-Jul-30, 03:16 PM
This was a 1990s VHS release of a 1960 movie.

The "Before DNA" and "Real Dinosaurs" no doubt referred to those fake laboratory dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

I think that the biggest creatures to exist "Before DNA" were a few viruses who used RNA for all those purposes, right? Nothing quite so large as these.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-30, 03:45 PM
This was a 1990s VHS release of a 1960 movie.

The "Before DNA" and "Real Dinosaurs" no doubt referred to those fake laboratory dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.
As the book was published in 1990 and the movie's from 1993 I think that might be a good bet.