PDA

View Full Version : 400-meter Asteroid – 0.002 AU from Earth – 2011 NOV 08

Centaur
2011-Apr-09, 05:52 AM
Asteroid 2005 YU55 with a width of about 400 meters is expected to pass 0.002 AU or 0.85 lunar distances from Earth on 2011 NOV 08 at 23:28 UT. I’ve made a chart of the asteroid’s positions in relation to the Earth and Sun. I’ve also created an animated graphic. They can be seen at: www.curtrenz.com/asteroids

Photos, descriptions and related discussion would be welcome additions to this thread.

Ara Pacis
2011-Apr-09, 07:09 AM
If they start now, they might try to land something on it. Or better yet, they might use a laser system to turn it into a billboard.

Arneb
2011-Apr-09, 11:16 AM
Spooky. Great animation.
Centaur, the trajectory of the asteroid looks pretty much unchanged after the encounter. Will it be influenced to any significant degree due to the fly-by?

IsaacKuo
2011-Apr-09, 03:20 PM
If they start now, they might try to land something on it. Or better yet, they might use a laser system to turn it into a billboard.
At closest approach, it will only by 1/66th as wide as Mars at closest approach. In other words, a dot.

Ara Pacis
2011-Apr-09, 03:58 PM
At closest approach, it will only by 1/66th as wide as Mars at closest approach. In other words, a dot.

Yeah, I know, but with some one pointing a big telescope at it...

tony873004
2011-Apr-09, 06:53 PM
Spooky. Great animation.
Centaur, the trajectory of the asteroid looks pretty much unchanged after the encounter. Will it be influenced to any significant degree due to the fly-by?

Here's an image I made showing the change in its orbit. You can see 'before' and 'after' on the same plot. Prior to the Earth encounter, the asteroid went out almost as far as Mars' orbit. After the Earth encounter, it goes slightly farther than Mars' orbit.
http://orbitsimulator.com/BA/2005YU55.GIF

publiusr
2011-Apr-09, 07:51 PM

Will this asteroid come back on a later visit--and if so, where will our Moon be at that time? I keep wondering when a NEO will hits Luna.

Centaur
2011-Apr-09, 09:56 PM
Spooky. Great animation.

A slight change, Arneb, as Tony nicely described.

Will this asteroid come back on a later visit--and if so, where will our Moon be at that time? I keep wondering when a NEO will hits Luna.

This asteroid does swing by with some regularity, Publiusr, although usually not nearly so close. During the upcoming passage this asteroid will actually come closer to the Moon than the Earth. Calculations for the next 100 years show no collision between this asteroid and either the Earth or Moon.