PDA

View Full Version : [classic on Roswell]

classic
2011-Apr-12, 10:22 PM
Mod note: this is a merging of seven posts made to other threads in the CT section.

FBI vault confirms aliens did land at Roswell!!!

FBI vault confirms aliens were involved in the Roswell landing!!!! It is amazing!!

Newly released FBI documents confirm Roswell and aliens. True story!!!

This footage may be fake. But FBI released declassified documents proving Roswell really happend. Aliens landed!!!!

Wow Mitchell might be on to something. The FBI releases documents which seems to prove that Roswell really happened. This gives credibility to his stories and the stories of many other that were ridiculed throughout the years. Roswell for real!! Wow!!!

FBI releases it's own paper trail on Roswell. Confirming what many people have said throughout the years. Aliens landed at Roswell!!!!!!

Coast to coast am will have a field day with this. Roswell records released by the FBI confirms the existance of aliens. Aliens landed at Roswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Van Rijn
2011-Apr-12, 10:48 PM
FBI releases it's own paper trail on Roswell. Confirming what many people have said throughout the years. Aliens landed at Roswell!!!!!!

You didn't post a link, and I hadn't heard of this, so I googled it. Is this what you're talking about?

http://news.discovery.com/space/secret-fbi-file-exposes-roswell-ufoor-not-110412.html

In this case, as is mentioned in the article, the memo doesn't mention Roswell, but it sounds like a description of a known UFO hoax not long after that.

Strange
2011-Apr-12, 10:58 PM
Also discussed here: http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/114570-FBI-Memo-Does-Not-Prove-Aliens-Crash-Landed-in-Roswell

Not new. Not secret. Not evidence of aliens. What can you say....

pzkpfw
2011-Apr-12, 11:00 PM
classic, sprinkling little one-liners into every Roswell thread you can find is nothing short of spamming. Bumping very old threads is also considered rude.

All of your recent posts have been moved into this thread, where you will discuss your claims as appropriate (when your suspension ends).

Van Rijn
2011-Apr-12, 11:12 PM
Also discussed here: http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/114570-FBI-Memo-Does-Not-Prove-Aliens-Crash-Landed-in-Roswell

That's a good article. I also found this, on the Aztec Hoax:

http://www.skepdic.com/aztec.html

Quoting:

The Aztec story was revived in 1986 by William Steinman and Wendelle Stevens in their privately-published book called UFO Crash at Aztec. It was revived again in 1998 when Linda Mouton Howe, a UFO and Art Bell mainstay, claimed she had government documents that proved the Aztec crash. What she had was a rumor eight times removed from the source, Silas Newton, that eventually ended up in a memo written to J. Edgar Hoover. Newton told George Koehler about 3-foot tall aliens and their saucer; Koehler told Morley Davies who told Jack Murphy and I. J. van Horn who told Rudy Fick who told the editor of the Wyandotte Echo in Kansas City where it was read by an Air Force agent in the Office of Special Investigations who passed on the story to Guy Hottel of the FBI who sent a memo to his boss (Thomas).

(Bolding added.) This story is all about, apparently, the well known Hottel memo. This revival apparently started with a story from the Sun, not exactly a paper known for doing good research.

slang
2011-Apr-12, 11:27 PM
That's a good article.

Except for linking to Hastings... Can't we just ignore that guy until he fades out of view?

And yes, Hastings has no skill or credentials as a researcher. His research method appears to be:

1. Hear story.
2. Believe story.

eburacum45
2011-Apr-13, 06:57 AM
I'd say 99% of the people who read this article think that the Hottel memo was about Roswell, when it was in fact about the Aztec hoax. That implies that the newspaper article was either deliberately misleading, or written by someone who knows little about UFO lore.

More about the Aztec hoax here
http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/161/incident_at_aztec.html

In the diary Newton revealed that, in the early 1950s, he was contacted by US military officials who wanted to speak with him about his crashed UFO story. Newton was told that the military knew that his UFO-crash-at-Aztec story was bogus. Incredibly, however, they wanted him to continue spreading the story far and wide, and to whoever would listen.

Van Rijn
2011-Apr-15, 08:13 AM
I'd say 99% of the people who read this article think that the Hottel memo was about Roswell, when it was in fact about the Aztec hoax. That implies that the newspaper article was either deliberately misleading, or written by someone who knows little about UFO lore.

You're referring to the Sun article? For others, here's the link:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3519288/Aliens-exist-say-real-life-X-Files.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

"Deliberately misleading" seems pretty likely to me. There are just too many bits for me to think it's all ignorance or accidental wording. For instance, there's this:

Roswell's radar sparked technical problems on the UFOs causing them to come down, said Hottel who was in charge of the FBI's Washington field office.

which is attributing a statement about Roswell to Hottel, but, of course, "Roswell" doesn't appear in the Hottel memo.

The entire excuse for the article seems to be that the FBI recently opened a new website that - oh, by the way - happens to contain the Hottel memo. Here's the FBI website:

http://vault.fbi.gov/

Here's part of the site description:

The Vault is our new electronic reading room, containing more than 2,000 documents that have been scanned from paper into digital copies so you can read them in the comfort of your home or office.

Included here are more than 25 new files that have been released to the public but never added to this website; dozens of records previously posted on our site but removed as requests diminished; and files from our previous electronic reading room.

So, nothing secret there, just more convenient access for already available material, most of which doesn't mention UFOs.

My guess would be that the author of the Sun article was told about the FBI website, and looked for a way to turn it into a story by puffing these bits up.

But then again, I didn't think the Sun was supposed to be a serious news site, so that would be about what I'd expect from them. Do many people take the Sun seriously?

Normandy
2011-May-04, 06:12 PM

What a suprise (irony on the left-disclaimer for growing list of UFO fans on the board) but probably a shocker for little green men lovers that will invent new story again in a week or two. Same stories again and again.

Garrison
2011-May-04, 06:57 PM
What a suprise (irony on the left-disclaimer for growing list of UFO fans on the board)

What growing list? There haven't been more than 2 or 3 at a time on BAUT in recent months, and they've all run into the same dead ends of either no evidence or evidence that was easily explained. A willingness to engage with UFO believers does not mean people are believers themselves.

Swift
2011-May-05, 01:31 AM
What a suprise (irony on the left-disclaimer for growing list of UFO fans on the board) but probably a shocker for little green men lovers that will invent new story again in a week or two. Same stories again and again.
Just in case anyone is not aware, Normandy was infracted and suspended for yet another rude, dismissive, disruptive, and non-contributory post in a UFO thread.

WhoSaysSo
2011-May-08, 05:03 AM
Classic - Assuming you are still reading this thread and considering responding; where is your proof? Anyone who reads the opening post to this thread is left wondering if they just read the cover of the Inquirer, or if this is a legitimate claim without one shred of proof ... only statements.

Can you provide links, preferable from the FBI website, where these new documents have been released? If not the FBI website, some other reputable source?

KaiYeves
2011-May-08, 09:55 PM
Classic - Assuming you are still reading this thread and considering responding; where is your proof? Anyone who reads the opening post to this thread is left wondering if they just read the cover of the Inquirer, or if this is a legitimate claim without one shred of proof ... only statements.

I know that the stereotype is that the Inquirer prints stories about UFOs, but every time I've seen it at the checkout, it seems to only have headlines about celebrities. Am I just at the supermarket on the wrong days?

WhoSaysSo
2011-May-08, 10:54 PM
I know that the stereotype is that the Inquirer prints stories about UFOs, but every time I've seen it at the checkout, it seems to only have headlines about celebrities. Am I just at the supermarket on the wrong days?

LOL, you caught me not doing my research! Shame on me. :) Maybe I should have said, "newsstand tabloids" instead?

Nowhere Man
2011-May-09, 12:09 AM
IIRC, it was the Weekly World News that had the alien-spaceship stories; ditto for the Globe and the Sun. The National Enquirer (note the spelling) was always more mainstream/gossip oriented.

Fred

pzkpfw
2011-May-09, 12:52 AM
I doubt classic will be back, so it's best to let this drift off into cyberspace.

If anyone - classic especially if you come back - wants this re-opened, please report this thread to provide a reason.