PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic Inflation Theory

thefish7
2004-May-20, 02:34 PM
I just read some article on Chaotic Inflation Theory on msn.slate.com about the creation of the universe... What do you guys think about this theory? The Slate article was not very technical, so I wasn't able to get much out of it. Anyway, just looking for your opinoins...

genebujold
2004-May-20, 03:23 PM
I just read some article on Chaotic Inflation Theory on msn.slate.com about the creation of the universe... What do you guys think about this theory? The Slate article was not very technical, so I wasn't able to get much out of it. Anyway, just looking for your opinoins...

Chaos is. It's why the Grand Canyon isn't a straight ditch. It's why the precise position of electrons cannot be measured. It's why things in a very steady-state environment will happen 1,000 times one way, then one day, they'll happen quite differently, due to a minor change in the weather, someone's emotions, etc, that shifted the locus slightly, and shifted the outcome dramatically.

Think about it. During the Big Bang, if just one quantum unit of matter hiccuped rather than burped, it would have affected half the known universe. We may not have had the same physical rules we have today. We may not have had the same structure of matter, the same periodic table of the elements. Just because that's the way things fit in our universe is no reason to assume that's the way they would have fit in someone else's.