PDA

View Full Version : Asteroids change color as they age

ToSeek
2004-May-20, 05:47 PM
University of Hawaii Astronomer and Colleagues Find Evidence That Asteroids Change Color as They Age (http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/press-releases/Jedicke_asteroids5-17-04.html)

Jedicke said that they found that “asteroids get more red with time in exactly the right manner and at the right rate to explain the mystery of the color difference between them and OC meteorites.” He added, “Even though we have found a link between the two types of objects, we still don’t know what causes space weathering.”

Master258
2004-May-20, 06:10 PM
Werid

devil's advocate
2004-May-20, 06:13 PM
Stickin' to one word answers, eh?

Master258
2004-May-20, 06:26 PM

Yeah. I'm a man of little words.

Russ
2004-May-20, 06:41 PM

I would have just said: "nope" :wink:

Andromeda321
2004-May-20, 08:16 PM
That IS weird though. Any theories as to why it happens? Since it's compared to weathering on Earth in the article it would make sense if it was a similar effect... solar wind maybe?

Master258
2004-May-20, 08:32 PM

I would have just said: "nope" :wink:

:lol: I was just going to say yeah but decided agaist it.

ngc3314
2004-May-20, 09:55 PM
That IS weird though. Any theories as to why it happens? Since it's compared to weathering on Earth in the article it would make sense if it was a similar effect... solar wind maybe?

Before getting evidence as to just how it happens, asteroid observers have used the generic "space weathering" noticing that some such modification (driven by solar UV, cosmic-ray exposure, whatever) would bring together the properties of various objects in a sort-of comprehensible way. Among other things, only if space weathering had this sort of effect on surface reflectance was it easy to figure out what the asteroid counterparts of carbonaceous chondrites might be. If little ones fall here so often, there have to be a few big ones out there...

xbck1
2004-May-20, 10:00 PM
I, too, wonder what it could be. Very interesting. Maybe they're just getting too much sun. Sunburnt, maybe? :-s :-k

PhantomWolf
2004-May-21, 08:30 AM
Perhaps it's all the iron in them going rusty. I wonder if it explains Sedna's colouration?

Morrolan
2004-May-21, 09:05 AM
iron rusting? but rust is oxydation, oxydation requires oxygen, no? :o

PhantomWolf
2004-May-21, 01:00 PM
iron rusting? but rust is oxydation, oxydation requires oxygen, no? :o

It comes from passing comets. 8-[

Master258
2004-May-22, 04:02 PM
maybe its cause is something we don't know about. something out there.