PDA

View Full Version : state of the show

toenacious
2011-May-03, 04:54 AM
Does anyone know what is going on over at Astronomy Cast headquarters? I know Dr. Gay and Fraser are both busy but as the show becomes more inconsistently produced I can't help but fear it is fizzling to a end.
As an avid fan of the show I can handle not having my "weekly facts based journey through the cosmos" but I need to know for certain not to expect it. I check the website frequently but nothing is ever mentioned. Can we get some clarification the state of the show and what is planned for the future?
Thanks!!

ThomasAJ
2011-May-04, 12:32 PM
sigh...

You won't get an answer to your simple q.

Regardless of when the show is recorded or posted to the website the 'publisher' has decided to play games with BOTH the dates mentioned in the show (ie spoken dates) and dates assigned to podcasts.

Neither bear resemblence to reality.

The dates shown against each show on the website are made to appear as if they were 'recorded' at equal (ish) intervals when nothing could be further from the truth.

Pity - it really leaves a bad taste in the mouth when such fine podcasts do not deserve it - and listeners are being treated with contempt.

Apologists have previously 'explained' away this phenomena as due to their very busy schedules - and of course they are very busy - but it's no excuse for time-shifting games.

So sad.

ThomasAJ
2011-May-04, 12:44 PM
I just realized I may have stumbled across a new form of 'relativity'.

Shows are put up according to when Fraser feels like doing 'it'.
'It' being assigned dates - so let's call it 'Fraser time' - it's a variable and not a constant as previously thought.

It's not 'once a week' at all but 'once a whenever'.

If you look at old show intervals it appears to the untrained eye as weekly and constant but the experienced observer knows that to be a comlete falsehood.

PS please send my Nobel $s to...

Empyre
2011-May-04, 11:18 PM
You need to learn to be patient, and be grateful for what you have. Pam and Frasier are making this podcast in their spare time for free. They don't owe us anything. WE owe THEM a debt of gratitude for the over 200 shows they have already made. Such ingratitude is actually a disincentive for them to keep making Astronomy Cast.

toenacious
2011-May-05, 02:51 AM
Yes of course. I AM patient and grateful. I'm not demanding more shows, I'm simply asking, what we can expect going forward? I'm almost offended you inferred such an attitude from my post because I most certainly do not feel the way you suggest. I don't think it's too much to ask that Dr. Gay and Fraser let us know what they intend for the future of Astronomy Cast. Be it weekly, monthly, whenever, or never again all I ask is that they clarify for the fans that eagerly stand by to support their decision.

justlearning
2011-May-05, 11:49 AM
toenacious, I think Empyre's reply was directed at ThomasAJ, not at you. I've been concerned too, keep drifting back here to see if there's any other news. I hope they can post a new podcast soon!

Empyre
2011-May-05, 11:31 PM
Yes, my reply was indeed directed at ThomasAJ. I too am eager for more, and concerned that this podcast might be winding down. Ironically, it might have been Astronomy Cast's success that helped make Frasier and Dr. Gay too busy to make more.

plant
2011-Aug-15, 02:23 PM
do what i do... relisten to one of the previousr 200 podcasts! that should keep you busy for a while.......

agro the wombat
2011-Aug-17, 11:38 AM
Pamela was interviewed on Planetary Radio recently and she mentioned that Astronomy Cast is likely to go to about 40 episodes per year instead of 52 "because life is too short"

This episode in fact (http://planetary.org/radio/show/00000455/) at 20:54 :-)

I guess after giving us 260 podcasts they've both probably earned the right to have a social life :-)

Solfe
2011-Aug-17, 02:33 PM
Frasier put out a call for help here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/119682-365-Days-of-Astronomy-Needs-a-Little-Help-From-Their-Friends). The show is 365 Days of Astronomy and they need content.

It sounds like he works on more than podcasts. I am sure they are working as hard as they can to produce shows as fast as possible.

bestpodcast
2011-Sep-14, 11:53 AM
I believe I have listened to all the astronomycast and there is no hint it is coming to an end. The reduction is the way they are just doing it now. Fraser is busy earning a living with the universe today, pamela is busy teaching, researching, and doing other projects. They both are busy with all their extra learning they do! I have seen posts before and this one i am sure upsets both of them they are busy and they are doing them and they are carrying on and its the way they are doing them.
Pamela Gay describes the state of the show here at 20:54 dated the 26th July: 2011: http://planetary.org/radio/show/00000455/

in the meantime between shows i get the pc to read aloud text from books etc from the web to you. Or:
cheapastro.com from Steve.
the naked scientists from Chris, weekly.
well not really but 365daysofastronomy
sciencefriday, science in action. etc.

I love the show and i dont like reading.

JayAaroBe
2011-Sep-27, 03:26 AM
I think I can sum up what's troubling many listeners, including myself.

We all love the show and it seems like a high quality show. Which is why we are perplexed when the shows suddenly stop and there is no mention of it at all. We all understand that they're busy people and we're not mad that they're not producing shows--we're just kinda peeved that they have not said a single word about it.

That's all we ask: talk to us. A simple announcement on the website that says: "Astronomy Cast is on hiatus until further notice." would suffice; it would prevent many many people from stumbling in here, confused, perplexed, wondering what's going on with the show.

To reiterate: we don't need constant shows, just communicate with us in some way. That's all.

bestpodcast
2011-Sep-27, 08:32 AM
Well if it was explicitly ONLY the case they do 3 at a time is because they have to login, then upload, then attach to the website I would think this is bad of them if they feel it is too much effort. lets be honest there are people that are busy but you will find that the genuinely busy people will find the time of a few moments to login, set to upload, (do something else whilst uploading), then attach to the site. its the pretend busy that make out like they dont have a few moments. like i said the very very busy might not have time to ie go to the pub on sunday after 5pm for example with no notice. well a set procedure would end up as drag and drop (and putting a title) right? lol
well as explained ONLY if this is the case. remember they do shownotes, transcripts and more all that i've never read. they must do these when they put the mp3 up so could make sense to do in one go like 3 in one go.

JayAaroBe
2011-Sep-27, 10:03 AM
I think I can sum up what's troubling many listeners, including myself.

We all love the show and it seems like a high quality show. Which is why we are perplexed when the shows suddenly stop and there is no mention of it at all. We all understand that they're busy people and we're not mad that they're not producing shows--we're just kinda peeved that they have not said a single word about it.

That's all we ask: talk to us. A simple announcement on the website that says: "Astronomy Cast is on hiatus until further notice." would suffice; it would prevent many many people from stumbling in here, confused, perplexed, wondering what's going on with the show.

To reiterate: we don't need constant shows, just communicate with us in some way. That's all.

Mods, I'm sorry but I meant to start a new thread, not reply to this one. Please feel free to delete my above post and this one as well. Thanks.

mikeg64
2011-Oct-06, 12:48 PM
A show a week is a lot of work....
It can't end yet though,
they started going through the constellations...
there's a few more to go...

not to mention the show suggestions