PDA

View Full Version : StarGate in stasis

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-May-11, 04:05 PM
I saw the series finally of Stargate Universe and I was in general very pleased with it and the the series in general. I wished they made this series instead of Atlantis. It also looks like there are no new plans for the Stargate series at the moment so I guess for the Americans sci-fi plans one less reason to watch syfy.

Amber Robot
2011-May-11, 05:17 PM
I was quite disappointed with Stargate Universe. It seemed they were focusing too much on copying Battlestar Galactica's mood and style and less on actually exploring the potential of their own storyline. You may not have liked Atlantis, but it was more in concert with the original series than S:U was.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-May-11, 06:46 PM
I like Atlantis just fine. SGU felt it had greater depth and had more options for exploration than Atlantis.

Amber Robot
2011-May-12, 12:37 AM
SGU felt it had greater depth and had more options for exploration than Atlantis.

Though it seemed to me that they did not take advantage of these options. However, I admit to stopping watching about half way through the series, so perhaps they did more with it in the latter episodes. My wife got bored with the first half of the series, especially because she was comparing it to the previous series.

Van Rijn
2011-May-12, 01:10 AM
I had stopped for a bit (it was too much like BSG, and there was too much soap opera) but I did watch most of this season. I thought they had improved some, though I'm not terribly concerned they stopped it.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-May-12, 03:39 PM
The soap opera stuff was done pretty much in the first half of the first season. The series pick-up a little when the lucien alliance tried to take over the ship. My cheif gripe I ahve some series lately is how they split up seasons like 10 episodes then 4-5 months off or reruns then they come back for the rest of the season.

Amber Robot
2011-May-12, 04:00 PM
The soap opera stuff was done pretty much in the first half of the first season. The series pick-up a little when the lucien alliance tried to take over the ship. My cheif gripe I ahve some series lately is how they split up seasons like 10 episodes then 4-5 months off or reruns then they come back for the rest of the season.

Maybe it took them the 4-5 months to rewrite and film the latter half of the season based on how bad the first half was.

Solfe
2011-May-12, 11:54 PM
There was an episode, Trial and Error that sort of rehashed The Defense of Duffer's Drift (http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/resources/csi/swinton/swinton.asp) which I found interesting. I rather liked that.

They played SGU wrong. I always thought it was hovering on the edge of potential and never made the leap to greatness (or disaster).

Van Rijn
2011-May-12, 11:57 PM

Or very long breaks between seasons on some series. I couldn't really get back into V this season, and the huge break didn't help them.

novaderrik
2011-May-14, 04:22 AM

they do that for a couple of reasons..

1) the network doesn't want to commit to a full season.. if the short season does well, they pick it up again.
2) dvd sales- they charge as much for a season dvd set of 10 episodes as they do for a season with 30 episodes. they are getting twice the money from the dedicated fans.

good or bad, this is the way the modern tv industry works. i think it started with BSG with their "season 1.5" crap, and it's spread out to the rest of the tv industry.

EDG
2011-May-18, 09:06 PM
Syfy actually committed to two seasons. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/an-open-letter-to-stargate-fans-from-syfy/

IMO Stargate Universe was hands down the best Stargate series ever, and one of the best SF shows I've seen (and I've seen a lot. I think it was better than nBSG in places - e.g. "Time"). I am very disappointed that it's over before we had a chance to see where it was going, though the finale was really good.

The astronomy was bang-on, the worlds they encountered were more often than not hostile environments rather than "tame B.C. forest of the week", and I loved all the characters and the tensions between them. Things were getting really interesting at the end of season 2, and I think it's a shame that some people couldn't get past comparing it to the older shows (which were also good - I really enjoyed Atlantis - but different in feel) to give it a chance.

Now, there's no more Stargate at all and we'll probably never find out where SGU was going. :(

Van Rijn
2011-May-18, 09:58 PM
Syfy actually committed to two seasons. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/an-open-letter-to-stargate-fans-from-syfy/

IMO Stargate Universe was hands down the best Stargate series ever, and one of the best SF shows I've seen (and I've seen a lot. I think it was better than nBSG in places - e.g. "Time").

Clearly we have different subjective views on what is best or better. For me, Star Gate SG1 was by far the best of the SG series, though even it was falling down in the later seasons. Overall, I didn't like new BSG. I did like the first season (though the story was so dark it was painful to watch), but it went downhill fast. I ended up watching because I'd gone too far into it to stop, but honestly, if I could forget the later BSG seasons, I would. So, that might give you some idea of why I wasn't happy to see BSG in Star Gate clothing. At least SGU wasn't as bad as BSG.

Solfe
2011-May-18, 10:11 PM
Ely and the "I just work here" guy were the best. It was very interesting to see non-standard aliens.

Lou Diamond Phillips character annoyed the crap out of me.

EDG
2011-May-18, 10:51 PM
Clearly we have different subjective views on what is best or better.

Obviously. Hence the "IMO" in my statement.

I thought nBSG was the best SF show I'd seen for years, and loved every minute of it. I'm not interested in seeing the same old boring formulas show up in SF shows, and I loved both nBSG and SGU because they shook things up quite a bit. Both pulled the rug out from under one's feet quite often in fact, and at no stage could you take anything for granted.

Jim
2011-May-19, 05:35 PM
I liked (most of) SGU. I don't think it got too soap opera-y; I liked many of the relationships and how they were being addressed. And I thought "Time" was exceptional.

Lou Diamond Phillips character annoyed the crap out of me.

I think that was the idea. If so, he played the role well.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-May-19, 05:58 PM
Not every main character has to be likeable. Some people who think they are doing the best thing real life can be seen as very unlikable people by some.

cjl
2011-May-24, 08:20 PM
Honestly, I stopped watching it after the first half of the season or so. SG1 and Atlantis were much better IMO. I may try to watch the second half of the season at some point, but the first half was disappointing.