PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many rules?

Alien Horror
2011-May-17, 02:15 AM
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/115666-Heaven-is-a-fairy-tale-says-physicist-Hawking.?p=1889549#post1889549

No mention of anything remotely related to religion? At a space forum? Religion used to be the only topic allowed in space discussions. Now you are doing to religion what religion once did to science. I would have thought Stephen Hawkings opinions might garner some interest at a space forum. This is a space forum right? I've never seen so much censorship at a forum. Science is about truth. Questioning outdated theories. Not censorship.

Threads being displaced from their proper category and relocated in unsuitable ones. Moderators jumping on anyone who says the dreaded word religion. Warnings for writing initials of words. Galileo would turn in his grave if religion did have any factual basis and he hadn't turned to dust in the last few centuries. Free and open debate would probably lead to anarchy but this constant nitpicking by mods is bizarre.

I was given a warning for writing two letters. B followed by another letter. An abbreviated term of two words meaning an untruth. Swearing originates from religion. Taking the lords name in vain. I didn't even write the words and they are in common usage.

You people are censorship fanatics.

Noclevername
2011-May-17, 02:22 AM
The rules were clearly posted, you failed to follow them, end of story. Please don't be That Guy, Alien Horror.

Alien Horror
2011-May-17, 02:40 AM
The rules were clearly posted, you failed to follow them, end of story.
These rules?

.................................................. ........................................

12. Politics & Religion

Due to the contentious nature of these subjects, forum participants are strongly advised to avoid discussing religious and political issues. Please don't begin or contribute to a topic that's merely going to incite or fuel a flame war.

However, the following exceptions apply:

A) Political impact upon space programs, exploration, and science.
B) Focused, polite discussion of concepts such as creationism and "intelligent design" which bear direct relevance to astronomy and science, for the purposes of conversing about and addressing misconceptions.

C) Focused, polite discussion of the difference between astronomy (including cosmology) and religion

D) In the Bad Astronomy Stories section only, focused, polite discussion of topics or issues brought up in the originating post. Do not start a new thread there with your own topics, and do not take the discussion to another forum section.

.................................................. .................................................. ...............

I felt that exception A adequately covered it. There is no explicit rule against religion. 'Strongly advised' is not an instruction. Read your own rules before judging me. But hey, who cares what Stephen Hawking thinks. He's only the worlds most popular astrophysicist.

Galileo was censored for writing about space without incorporating religion. Now you are censoring people for writing about space and incorporating religion. Ironic.

Noclevername
2011-May-17, 02:51 AM
I'm fairly sure it was the content of your post not attributable to Hawking that earned you a medium infraction. Just for the sake of comparison, my first violation of the rules for similar content, earned me a week-long suspension. So from my POV you have little to complain about on the leniency-vs.-censorship front.

grapes
2011-May-17, 02:52 AM
These rules?

12. Politics & Religion

Due to the contentious nature of these subjects, forum participants are strongly advised to avoid discussing religious and political issues. Please don't begin or contribute to a topic that's merely going to incite or fuel a flame war.

B) Focused, polite discussion of concepts such as creationism and "intelligent design" which bear direct relevance to astronomy and science, for the purposes of conversing about and addressing misconceptions.

C) Focused, polite discussion of the difference between astronomy (including cosmology) and religion

D) In the Bad Astronomy Stories section only, focused, polite discussion of topics or issues brought up in the originating post. Do not start a new thread there with your own topics, and do not take the discussion to another forum section.

I felt that exception A adequately covered it. But hey, who cares what Stephen Hawking thinks. He's only the worlds most popular astrophysicist.

Galileo was censored for writing about space without incorporating religion. Now you are censoring people for writing about space and incorporating religion. Ironic.You linked to the offending thread in your OP, and since it's short, I was able to read it a couple times. I saw absolutely no discussion of "Political impact upon space programs, exploration, and science," but instead just a short speculation on the origins of religion, with a couple snide comments.

korjik
2011-May-17, 03:08 AM
These rules?

.................................................. ........................................

12. Politics & Religion

.................................................. .................................................. ...............

I felt that exception A adequately covered it. There is no explicit rule against religion. 'Strongly advised' is not an instruction. Read your own rules before judging me. But hey, who cares what Stephen Hawking thinks. He's only the worlds most popular astrophysicist.

Galileo was censored for writing about space without incorporating religion. Now you are censoring people for writing about space and incorporating religion. Ironic.

This is a science board. We discuss science here. Not religion.

Your post was making fun of the beliefs of most of the people that there are. The only thing it would have done is start a flame war. Having seen that a couple times, and not really considering it a worthwhile endeavour I personally am all for no religion here at BAUT.

If you want to talk beliefs, go to a board that caters to that sort of thing.

Alien Horror
2011-May-17, 03:10 AM
I'm fairly sure it was the content of your post not attributable to Hawking that earned you a medium infraction.

Hawking called religion a fairy tale. He's allowed to have an opinion but I can't add an opinion. Remarkable.

Just for the sake of comparison, my first violation of the rules for similar content, earned me a week-long suspension.

I'm surprised you wanted to come back. What did you do? Write the initial D for Darn?

So from my POV you have little to complain about on the leniency-vs.-censorship front.

I'm not complaining. I'm genuinely curious. Have you even read the rules?

I saw absolutely no discussion of "Political impact upon space programs, exploration, and science," but instead just a short speculation on the origins of religion, with a couple snide comments.

Stephen Hawking doesn't have any impact on science? Okey dokey. Ahem. I see... What snide comments? Religion is the worst kind of brainwashing. Lets face reality. There is no Odin, Zeus or Yaweh.

This is a science board. We discuss science here. Not religion.

Are you sure?

Your post was making fun of the beliefs of most of the people that there are.

Most people? Most people are atheists in my country. Where are you? America? That would explain things.

The only thing it would have done is start a flame war. Having seen that a couple times, and not really considering it a worthwhile endeavour I personally am all for no religion here at BAUT.

I'm all for no religion anywhere.

If you want to talk beliefs, go to a board that caters to that sort of thing.

Science is a belief system too. Is that banned?

PetersCreek
2011-May-17, 03:15 AM
Thread closed pending moderator discussion of religious comments repeated in spite of the previously given infraction.