PDA

View Full Version : It looks as if I've sold my first story

Tog
2011-May-18, 08:29 AM
Last night I woke up to find a congratulatory E-mail and contract from MuseItUp Publishing in my inbox.

They are a new E-publisher, but by all accounts they are doing well so far. I've some editing to do, then a scheduled release in Jan of 2012.

I'd like to thank those members of BAUT who have taken the time to answer so many of my silly questions. And give warning that there may be many more to come.

Woohoo!

jokergirl
2011-May-18, 08:42 AM
Yay! Congratulations!

So when will we be able to read it? :D

Romanus
2011-May-18, 09:50 AM
Congratulations! :)

Moose
2011-May-18, 09:55 AM
:) Congrats!

Jim
2011-May-18, 12:00 PM
Way to go! I'm proudaya, Tog.

Solfe
2011-May-18, 12:25 PM
That is awesome!

Buttercup
2011-May-18, 12:54 PM
Congratulations! :) :clap:

Swift
2011-May-18, 01:09 PM
Congrats, that's terrific. That's at least two authors among our members (Mike Alexander being the other), and that doesn't even count those of us who have published in journals.

Fazor
2011-May-18, 01:39 PM
Congratulations Tog! Proof that hard work and persistence pays off. Let it be a boon to your other works as well.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-May-18, 02:36 PM
congrats

Paul Beardsley
2011-May-18, 04:35 PM
Way to go, Tog! Let us know when you get confirmation.

Noclevername
2011-May-18, 04:38 PM
:clap:

NickW
2011-May-18, 05:03 PM
Congrats!

mike alexander
2011-May-18, 07:33 PM
Well done, Tog!

Any hints on the story itself?

Inquiring minds want to know.

KaiYeves
2011-May-18, 09:38 PM
Great news! Give yourself a pat on the back!

Tog
2011-May-19, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'm both excited and nervous about this.

The story is a sort of modern version of the old radio detective dramas from the 40's and 50's, so it follows that format. I hope to make him a series character. I've got two others finished, but they need work.

If all goes well, it will be available in e-reader format just after the new year.

parallaxicality
2011-May-19, 09:22 AM
Cool!

Paul Beardsley
2011-May-19, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm both excited and nervous about this.

The story is a sort of modern version of the old radio detective dramas from the 40's and 50's, so it follows that format. I hope to make him a series character. I've got two others finished, but they need work.

If all goes well, it will be available in e-reader format just after the new year.

Any chance of it being adapted for radio? I really love audio - more than books, sometimes. As I might have mentioned once or twice before, audio has the immediacy of film and TV, but at a fraction of the cost, and it can be as in-depth as written fiction.

Old-time radio detectives can be hugely entertaining, so it would be great to hear a modern-day take.

Tog
2011-May-19, 05:23 PM
I don't have any plans to try it. It wouldn't be hard to adapt to a drama. Here's some stuff you might like though.

Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine each have a roughly monthly podcast where they put up an audio version of a story from past issues, free for the listening.

AHMM Site http://www.themysteryplace.com/ahmm/excerpts/excerpt5.aspx
EQMM Site http://www.themysteryplace.com/podcasts/mystery_podcasts.aspx

There is one on the AHMM site called "In Search Of" that is really different. It's short and I think a lot of people here would like it for the way it starts off. It's the very first one listed, which is on the bottom of the list they way the put it together.

There is also this place, Old Time Radio Fans (http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/) which is an online archive of thousands of old programs from the 30's on up to the present. With my 1.5 hour round trip drive every day, I pulled down about 1000 of the detective stories to listen to on my iPod for the drive.

There is also http://librivox.org/, which is a set of short story collections from works that have slipped into the public domain. Their goals is actually to have EVERY book in the public domain available.

Tobin Dax
2011-May-21, 01:24 AM
Congrats, Tog!

Tog
2012-Jan-20, 11:56 PM
It came out today. Now I guess the real fun starts.

Fazor
2012-Jan-21, 01:09 AM
Ah, the exciting part! Then I'll raise my glass in a second round of cheers! (Not to diminish it, but was already raising my glass. You just gave me an excuse for it.)

Jens
2012-Jan-23, 04:25 AM
Just a question, but how heavily did they edit the manuscript?

Tog
2012-Jan-23, 08:27 AM
Just a question, but how heavily did they edit the manuscript?

Not much at all, and I had to either approve the changes or present my case to keep it the way I had it. The first editor was for content, and she caught a few really important errors. She also selected some word changes that I didn't agree with. We passed it back and forth a few times until we had a version we agreed on, then it went to a line editor for punctuation and such.

Not much changed there, since the content editor caught most of the stuff that needed to be changed. After that, it went to a cover artists who submitted a cover to me that didn't fit the story at all. I sent back my feedback and she redid it with something that matched a lot better.

The last step was the galley proof where I read the final version and caught a missing word that was so obvious, I almost wonder if it was done on purpose to see if I'd really check through it. I can't see the three of us missing it that many times.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Jan-23, 08:08 PM
The last step was the galley proof where I read the final version and caught a missing word that was so obvious, I almost wonder if it was done on purpose to see if I'd really check through it.

I very much doubt that! Authors - especially first-time authors - are so proud of their published work that they invariably read over them multiple times at every stage of the publishing process. Editors and publishers know this, of course.

Tog
2012-Jan-24, 07:41 AM
The reason I thought that was because for the month before I got my proof, the lead editor sent out multiple e-mails telling people to be sure to check them. Then I get mine and it's got an error that made it past all my readings, and a half dozen editor versions.

I went back and looked at the final version that went on to be the galley proof and it was missing the word, so it wasn't a set up.

Solfe
2012-Jan-25, 12:53 PM
I am reading a book by Alistair Reynolds that has a minor typo in the printed book. It is "hda" instead of "had. The only reason I noticed it was I was interrupted a couple times before I could start reading again. I swear I read that one page about 4 times. :)

I bet if I had just read through it, I would have missed it.

jamesabrown
2012-Jan-25, 02:23 PM
You'll never forget your first.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jan-29, 04:30 PM
The reason I thought that was because for the month before I got my proof, the lead editor sent out multiple e-mails telling people to be sure to check them. Then I get mine and it's got an error that made it past all my readings, and a half dozen editor versions.

I went back and looked at the final version that went on to be the galley proof and it was missing the word, so it wasn't a set up.
There IS a reason for all the re-reading.

Torsten
2012-Jan-29, 05:09 PM
Hey, congratulations Tog (I never saw this thread the first time around). And I've certainly enjoyed reading your questions and the responses to them.

mfumbesi
2012-Jan-31, 09:59 AM
Congrats.

Jim
2012-Jan-31, 05:40 PM
... After that, it went to a cover artists who submitted a cover to me that didn't fit the story at all. I sent back my feedback and she redid it with something that matched a lot better.

Let me guess. The first pass had bare chests and ripped bodices, right?

The last step was the galley proof where I read the final version and caught a missing word that was so obvious, I almost wonder if it was done on purpose to see if I'd really check through it. I can't see the three of us missing it that many times.

O-o-o-oh, I hate to tell you this, but you may have been the victim of Hairy Arm Syndrome.

I worked with a guy once who would submit regular reports to his supervisor. The super would go over them in excruciating detail, looking for the slightest mistake, until my friend learned a trick.

It relates to someone examining his hairy forearm until he finds the one odd-colored hair. He then plucks it and moves on to another task. My friend applied this to his reports.

Early in the report, he would make a major and obvious mistake. The supervisor would gleefully point it out and stop reviewing the report. Mission accomplished, move on.

Just sayin'...

Tog
2012-Feb-01, 09:29 AM
Let me guess. The first pass had bare chests and ripped bodices, right?

Heh, no. That does seem to be a theme with a lot of them though. It also would have been a better fit.

Mine is best described as a Sam Spade/Phillip Marlowe style in a modern setting. My guy dresses the part having been brought up on the old radio shows. The first cover looked like a closeup of an android's eye with Matrix-style numbers trickling down the cover. It looked good, but it was way more Bladerunner than Maltese Falcon.

O-o-o-oh, I hate to tell you this, but you may have been the victim of Hairy Arm Syndrome.

I worked with a guy once who would submit regular reports to his supervisor. The super would go over them in excruciating detail, looking for the slightest mistake, until my friend learned a trick.

It relates to someone examining his hairy forearm until he finds the one odd-colored hair. He then plucks it and moves on to another task. My friend applied this to his reports.

Early in the report, he would make a major and obvious mistake. The supervisor would gleefully point it out and stop reviewing the report. Mission accomplished, move on.

Just sayin'...
That's kind of funny in a twistedly related way. One of the the things that hit me with this story were the coincidences during editing. I downloaded a number of old radio shows to listen to on my drive to and from work (about 50 minutes each way). While I wrote this, I was listening to the Sam Spade shows. The most famous Spade story is The Maltese Falcon. The content editor is from Malta.

Hammett, who wrote The Maltese Falcon, was a detective and an accepted authority on the criminal element. If he threw in slang of some sort, people just assumed that it was used correctly. He did have an issue with an editor that would take out things he thought were too offensive, though. In Falcon, he described a character as a "gunsel," which is probably a reference to an unflattering Jewish word for a young, male companion (wink wink nudge nudge) to an older, affluent man. To get that word a better chance at getting into the story, he added something he knew wouldn't pass just ahead of it. There's your hairy arm tie in.

The punch line is that not many knew that word and assumed it was a gangland term for a young, gun-toting thug, and that became a common term in many other radio shows, especially "Pat Novack, for Hire," which was the first big thing that Jack Webb did.

My line editors name is Gunselman.

I got the final versions of my story and the release date on my birthday, and the story released a little before midnight, which was still on my mother's birthday.

Jim
2012-Feb-01, 12:48 PM
Huh, your last post seems a good fit for the "coincidences" thread in OTB.

(BTW, let us know when you want to change the title of this thread, replacing "first" with "second," "third," etc.)

Fazor
2012-Feb-01, 09:45 PM
*D'oh* I was about to ask when the book comes out, even tho I said "congratulations" too your "It came out today" post. Toldja I was drinking. ;) What's it called? I gotta go get it, of course!

Tog
2012-Feb-02, 04:29 AM
The title is "Cue the Sax." :)

Jim
2012-Feb-02, 12:27 PM
Are you sure the first cover didn't have bare chests and ripped bodices?

Oh, wait. "Cue the Sax."

Never mind.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Feb-02, 01:27 PM
A dash of Google-fu: Cue the sax (http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=247&category_id=122&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1).

Tog
2013-Feb-02, 07:08 PM
(BTW, let us know when you want to change the title of this thread, replacing "first" with "second," "third," etc.)

It's time. ;)

Wolf1066
2013-Feb-02, 11:23 PM
Heartiest congratulations, Tog.

Solfe
2013-Feb-03, 12:59 AM
Congrats!

More google-fu, please.

Tog
2013-Feb-03, 06:45 AM
Congrats!

More google-fu, please.

Thanks. Nothing Googleable about it yet. The tentative release is July.

Torsten
2013-Feb-07, 07:20 AM
Congratulations Tog! I see a pattern emerging.