PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: incoming klutz

Mouser
2011-May-20, 09:22 PM
Greetings. I'm no astronomer nor do I have background other than being fascinated by it all. And by all, I mean ALL. So it's no wonder I have little (if any) expertise in ALL subjects.

This said, I do have a couple of questions regarding the universe and Hawking is not returning my calls. No, I'm seriously joking about this.

I did google this forum (and read some articles) about the (purported) expanding universe and some theories about it but, for the life of me, couldn't find anything that remotely correlates to an idea that germinated in my noob head.

So, either it's a stroke of genius (chances are slim and really stacked up against me but hey, even I play lotto at times) or it's incredibly (astronomically) stupid, in which case it would be very embarrassing to even discuss.

So, the question is, is there a preferred format to discuss ideas on here and submit questions in a way that by the rapture time tomorrow, I will not be cast in hell for wasting everyone's time?

JohnD
2011-May-20, 09:25 PM
Welcome, Mouser and all that but cut to the chase; what's your question?

pzkpfw
2011-May-20, 09:26 PM
Welcome.

Just ask the question, in the Q&A forum (where this thread originally was) and mostly (in this context):
* Be polite.
* Ask a question and don't argue against the mainstream answers you get.

If you actually want to push for an idea, that may be non-mainstream, you need to do it in the ATM (Against the mainstream) sub-section. (Note that that section has certain rules of it's own).

My signature has links to the rules and some other threads of use.

astromark
2011-May-20, 09:35 PM
And NO... you will not be killed of this weekend.. its a load of horse manure..

Harold Camping and his followers are off on a tangent of self delusion... and wrong.

Swift
2011-May-20, 09:37 PM
A link to the Q&A forum (http://www.bautforum.com/forumdisplay.php/8-Space-Astronomy-Questions-and-Answers)

And welcome to BAUT

Mouser
2011-May-20, 09:57 PM
And NO... you will not be killed of this weekend.. its a load of horse manure..

Harold Camping and his followers are off on a tangent of self delusion... and wrong.

Yeah. I figured this much. At the expense of being knowledgeable, I was trying to be entertaining.

Like the Hawking reference (and the more astute would have seen the white text next to that).

Thank you folks for a very speedy response. I had no idea this forum moved this fast.

Noclevername
2011-May-21, 02:30 AM
Yeah. I figured this much. At the expense of being knowledgeable, I was trying to be entertaining.

Like the Hawking reference (and the more astute would have seen the white text next to that).

Thank you folks for a very speedy response. I had no idea this forum moved this fast.

If you want people to know you're kidding, we have a wide selection of emoticons (http://www.bautforum.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001)-- a simple wink ;) is a semicolon and close-parenthesis, or you can click on the "go advanced" button under the Quick Reply box to find a truckload of other options.

slang
2011-May-21, 08:35 AM
I was trying to be entertaining.

Not a bad attempt at all :)

Usher
2011-May-21, 05:47 PM

Ah yes, I missed the white text as well. Won't be changing my user name to Mora Stute anytime soon.