PDA

View Full Version : Old Newbie

The Admiral
2004-May-27, 03:07 PM
Hi All

It's me, The Admiral. I haven't been on the Bad Astronomy board since the philosophy board was discontinued. Have you missed me? I guess that makes me a newbie all over again. I wonder what happened to all those people. It was fun.

The Admiral

Kaptain K
2004-May-27, 03:17 PM
Welcome aboard (or back, as the case may be)! =D>

Glom
2004-May-27, 03:17 PM
There was a philosophy board?

cyswxman
2004-May-27, 03:20 PM
Philosophy board? Before my time here. :cry:
Anyway, welcome back! :)

The Admiral
2004-May-27, 03:23 PM
Yep, there was a philosophy board. I can't remember many of the names. Ratchet, Barbarian, Mel(for Melissa), that's about it.

I will revive an old tradition and hoist the secret Atheist cocktail flag at 1630 CST.

milli360
2004-May-27, 05:19 PM
Hi All
Welcome back, Admiral

There was a philosophy board?
Oh yeah (http://web.archive.org/web/20001110203700/http://www.intelligentchild.com/discussion/philosophy/index.html) (thanks to the Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org/collections/web.html)). It was attached to the astronomy board (http://web.archive.org/web/20001206072400/www.intelligentchild.com/discussion/astronomy/index.html) of the intellgentchild website, and it linked to the old BA board.

Ratchet, Barbarian, Mel(for Melissa), that's about it.

What? No JW, Torsten, or Keith? They're all around I think. Ratchet dropped by some time ago. Even Mish stopped by. And there was Rosen, Susanne, Hook and Nick.

You may not recognize me, but I was there--it looks like I took a sabbatical during the time of most of your posts.

I will revive an old tradition and hoist the secret Atheist cocktail flag at 1630 CST.
By coincidence, in the philosophy board archive number four, first half of 2000 (http://www.intelligentchild.com/discussion/philosophy/archives/philo4.zip), posts 160, 281, 284, 302, 303, are an exchange between you, me, and Jim about science and religion.

Russ
2004-May-27, 06:52 PM
Hi All

It's me, The Admiral. I haven't been on the Bad Astronomy board since the philosophy board was discontinued. Have you missed me? I guess that makes me a newbie all over again. I wonder what happened to all those people. It was fun.

The Admiral

Hello Admiral. Having been a regular since 96' I remember your original piping aboard. As I recall you faded out in your usage of the BABB. In any event, welcome back.

I also seem to remember you are in Madison, Wisconsin or some other, equally non-nautical location. It made me wonder if you were really an admiral or just using the handle. Which is it??

Welcome back.

Chip
2004-May-27, 07:02 PM
Hi All
...I wonder what happened to all those people. It was fun.
The Admiral

Hi there.
Some of them are still here, under new names.
It was fun then, and still is now.

Chip (formally "Gregory")

The Admiral
2004-May-28, 11:18 PM
Well, this certainly has nothing to do with astronomy and I hope we are not bending the rules to badly. But then, rules were made to be bent, were they not?

Thank you for reminding of some of the names I had forgoten.

My name has not changed. I do not share the passion for anonimity of others on boards such as this.

In Kentucky, I am told, Numerous old gents sit out on their blue grass lawns sipping mint juleps and known as Colonels. In that respect I am an Admiral.

This is old stuff which we have gone over some years back, but since you asked, I served about 2 years on a destroyer in WW2. I rose through the ranks to the level of S1c, twice. I have an honorable discharge but no good conduct medal. My handle, The Admiral, was bestowed on me by a simulator instructor in the Capital Airlines training center in about 1950. I liked it and have used it ever since.

The Admiral

aporetic_r
2004-May-29, 12:19 AM
I also seem to remember you are in Madison, Wisconsin or some other, equally non-nautical location.

Great sailing around Madison, and it's under 2 hours to Lake Michigan for even better sailing. I was lucky enough to take many lessons on the Soma - one of the UW Sailing Club's keelboats; it is a 26 footer that is painted like a cow.

Aporetic

The Admiral
2004-May-29, 12:48 AM
No, I am not in Madison. I am in Racine. 1.5 miles from Lake Michagin. I grew up swimming in that lake. It was wonderful, but that was long ago, and now my consolation. Oh well, never mind.

The Admiral

ocasey3
2004-May-29, 06:32 AM
Hi All

The Admiral

Hey there, I was wondering where you were! I remember you from the old board too. Good to have you back.

Musashi
2004-May-29, 07:02 AM
Hi All

The Admiral

Hey there, I was wondering where you were! I remember you from the old board too. Good to have you back.

And I was wondering where you were. :) Hope this marks your return as well.

ocasey3
2004-May-29, 07:12 AM
I've mostly just been lurking. There is always so much to read here and I haven't had much to contribute as of late. Good to be missed though. :D

Torsten
2004-Jun-04, 05:14 AM
Admiral! Good to see you back! Where on Earth have you been?

I don't post much any more, I seem to have even less time than back in those days, but I do read the odd thread when I'm in town. . . . which reminds me, I have to follow up on that Ice Age thread with milli 360 some time in the next half year or so. :roll:

I am sure I have seen your friend with the two initials here in disguise. Well, the arguments sounded the same.

Remember Dave Todd, Gawyn Damodred, and sandoval? I don't know where any of them are.

Wally
2004-Jun-04, 12:54 PM
No, I am not in Madison. I am in Racine. 1.5 miles from Lake Michagin. I grew up swimming in that lake. It was wonderful, but that was long ago, and now my consolation. Oh well, never mind.

The Admiral

Ah yes. Racine! Nice little town! Last time I was there was for the start of the Hook race (sailboat race from Racine, up around Washington Island into Green Bay, ending down at Sturgeon) back in 00 or so. We had a slip right smack dab in front of the cabana at the marina. We'd roll outa the bunk, step off the boat, take a few steps, and bingo! Bloody Marys to start the day! Great little town. . .