PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the impact of fictional works and movies.

Inclusa
2011-May-23, 11:49 PM
Fictional works and movies are meant to be entertaining rather than informing, even though they often contain quite a bit of facts (but beware, they can be fabricated.)
Even facts from non-fictions are not always reliable upon tests.
The issue is: most people lack the critical thinking ability to tell between fabricated facts; the pharmaceuticals have a lot at stake when it comes to medical reality.

Noclevername
2011-May-24, 12:04 AM
The much bigger impact comes not from fictional works, but from those works that present themselves as factual and unbiased when they are neither. News organizations, advertisements, documentaries and so forth. These present so much misinformation, so much conflicting information, and such an incomplete picture that it's no wonder people lack the ability to sift truth from mounds of half-truths and outright falsehoods.

Of course, the other half of the equation is that most people are not educated in critical thought processes, or given any indication of their importance, to even a slight degree. And that's where the fictional works come in-- people are told via fictional characters that logic is a poor means of making choices, to "go with your gut", to do what feels right, to rely on instinct.

Inclusa
2011-May-24, 05:31 AM
The much bigger impact comes not from fictional works, but from those works that present themselves as factual and unbiased when they are neither. News organizations, advertisements, documentaries and so forth. These present so much misinformation, so much conflicting information, and such an incomplete picture that it's no wonder people lack the ability to sift truth from mounds of half-truths and outright falsehoods.

Of course, the other half of the equation is that most people are not educated in critical thought processes, or given any indication of their importance, to even a slight degree. And that's where the fictional works come in-- people are told via fictional characters that logic is a poor means of making choices, to "go with your gut", to do what feels right, to rely on instinct.

Reasons and emotion are not the antonyms that people make them to be; they are interdependent. Sometimes it is not the matter of education; it can be the "soil for reasons" is not right YET.

John Jaksich
2011-May-24, 07:05 AM
Interestingly I have taken a few courses on "film" -----> & the works that have impressed me are by and large artistically well done and fairly true to the "text"

Many so-called science -related films (IMHO) are much too difficult to be manageable.

Having read Dune, Brave New World, Contact, . . . to name a few---(despite the success of Contact) IMO--there have been too few American-made films that can duplicate the "richness" of the book.

One foreign-made film of which I was impressed but ---- was somewhat difficult to watch (due to so-called mature nature of some of the subject matter) Solaris----(not the popularized version). I would tend to say (in some parts of the U.S) it would be banned . . . if my memory serves correctly about what I thought I saw???

HenrikOlsen
2011-May-24, 01:39 PM
One foreign-made film of which I was impressed but ---- was somewhat difficult to watch (due to so-called mature nature of some of the subject matter) Solaris----(not the popularized version). I would tend to say (in some parts of the U.S) it would be banned . . . if my memory serves correctly about what I thought I saw???
The Tarkovsky version?

John Jaksich
2011-May-24, 01:47 PM
The Tarkovsky version?

I obtained it from my local public library----and it was in Russian---and I believe it was approx 2-3 hours long. Unfortunately--I can't recall the director?

But I do recall---Soviet style insignia: CCCP -

It has been awhile since I viewed it.

Noclevername
2011-May-24, 04:51 PM
Reasons and emotion are not the antonyms that people make them to be; they are interdependent. Sometimes it is not the matter of education; it can be the "soil for reasons" is not right YET.

Reasoning and critical thinking are learned skills, but emotions come naturally. Film and TV mostly teach people to emphasize one part of their nature and diminish another.

Paul Beardsley
2011-May-24, 05:36 PM
I obtained it from my local public library----and it was in Russian---and I believe it was approx 2-3 hours long. Unfortunately--I can't recall the director?

But I do recall---Soviet style insignia: CCCP -

It has been awhile since I viewed it.

That's the Tarkovsky version - the second of three.

The third starred George Clooney and wasn't any good. The first is generally unavailable apart from clips on YouTube.

And I never tire of pointing out that there are three film versions, not two, as most people suppose.

And I never tire of pointing out the virtues of audio/radio versions. Solaris was adapted as a two-part radio play by the BBC. I strongly recommend it.