PDA

View Full Version : Wings Over Cullman

Gemini
2011-May-27, 04:09 AM
Last Saturday, my home town put on its first airshow in about 7 years, which of course I had to check out since the A-10 was the star attraction (first time we've had jets performing in the show to my knowlede, we have a fairly small airport).

Anyway, here are a few photos. The first one is kind special since it was taken after the second time I've ever flown in any sort of vehicle, in this case a Bell UH-1H.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/Wings%20Over%20Cullman/#

slang
2011-May-27, 07:07 AM
That's great! Somehow I thought the A-10 was taken out of service after Iraq.. glad to see they still fly. Awesome machine. Same day as your airshow, there was a day for ill kids organized on our local airfield, about 95 kids were taken for a short flight in small aircraft, Cessna's, Pipers, Beechcrafts, etc.

There were a few jets on static display, and one jet that flew... but oooh man was it ever a beauty! This one (http://dutchhawkerhunter.nl/), the two-seater. Members of a local flying club collected money so one of their senior members could have a trip in this. Guy had flown these in his own military career, and had taught the one flying it Saturday how to fly! Couple of guys from the airbase where I spent my military service keep it airworthy. Awesome.

Congrats on your flying trip, I was lucky enough to get a backseat on a half hour trip in a Beechcraft 58 Baron.

Delvo
2011-May-27, 08:55 AM
Last Saturday, my home town put on its first airshow in about 7 years, which of course I had to check out since the A-10 was the star attraction (first time we've had jets performing in the show to my knowlede, we have a fairly small airport).How did you find out when & where the show would be? I want to see an air show, but never hear of any nearby until it's too late, and there doesn't seem to be a central source of information about them in general.

the second time I've ever flown in any sort of vehicleI've been in commercial passenger places a few times, but some of my earliest flying experiences were on the job, flying over local forest land to track a plague of insects attacking our trees, in some 4-seat thing with a single propeller on the nose, which managed to make a clear calm day feel like a hurricane. Based on that, I should hate planes. :D Actually, I love the machines, I just hate riding in them.

That's great! Somehow I thought the A-10 was taken out of service after Iraq.. glad to see they still fly. Awesome machine.They plan to keep flying those for another 1-2 decades. You were probably thinking of F-14 (similar vintage, last major action was in Iraq and accompanied by its last major modification/upgrade, retired in 2006) or F-117 (similar job to do, should have had an A-number, first publicly proved itself in Iraq, retired in 2008).

Jim
2011-May-27, 12:02 PM
There are two planes I've seen up close, sitting on the runway, that really, really impressed me.

The SR-71 Blackbird... it looks like it's moving even though it's sitting still.

The A-10 Warthog... if I were an opposing tank commander, that's the last thing I'd want to see topping the hill. (And probably would be.)

The appearance of each aircraft tells you everything about it. One is fast, very fast. The other is deadly, very deadly. Both are beautiful.

HenrikOlsen
2011-May-27, 01:02 PM
That's great! Somehow I thought the A-10 was taken out of service after Iraq.. glad to see they still fly. Awesome machine.
Basically, every war they get used in they get 1-2 decades extension to their expected life in service because they're still the best solution for what they do, and what they do is still needed.

And yes, they're awe-inspiring up close.

Swift
2011-May-27, 01:33 PM
How did you find out when & where the show would be? I want to see an air show, but never hear of any nearby until it's too late, and there doesn't seem to be a central source of information about them in general.
Try this website (http://www.airshows.com/) for a list (mostly in the US). Where on the planet do you live? Maybe members can give you suggestions (Cleveland, Ohio has a big airshow every year)

ngc3314
2011-May-27, 03:25 PM
Hmm - is this why I saw an A-10 flying over Tuscaloosa? No way the pilot is going to convince anyone he did all that mayhem by himself, though. I missed by about an hour the spectacle of Air Force 1 sitting on our none-too-long runway. And along that line - how is cleanup in Cullman going?

slang
2011-May-27, 04:00 PM
You were probably thinking of F-14 (similar vintage, last major action was in Iraq and accompanied by its last major modification/upgrade, retired in 2006) or F-114 (similar job to do, should have had an A-number, first publicly proved itself in Iraq, retired in 2008).

No, the day I confuse one of those two with an A-10 is when you can have me institutionalized. :) I'm pretty sure the A-10 was scheduled to be taken out of service, then given an extension after proving itself so well in tank-hunting, CAS and Scud-hunting in Iraq. I just wasn't aware the extension was all the way to 2028. How do you figure that the F-114 had a similar role to the A-10? Or just both being mud-movers?

Delvo
2011-May-27, 04:31 PM
How do you figure that the F-114 had a similar role to the A-10? Or just both being mud-movers?It doesn't. But who said anything about F-114?:whistle: I'm talking about F-117.:shhh:

And yes, I just meant that they both had the job of striking targets on the ground on too small of a scale to be bombers.

The idea wasn't that you mixed up the planes, but that a news report about one of them might have sounded as if they meant another.

KaiYeves
2011-May-27, 04:38 PM
Nice, Gem! I wish I could have been there!

Trebuchet
2011-May-27, 06:46 PM
I've had a long admiration for the A-10. The Air Force wanted to retire it just prior to the first Gulf War, fortunately plans had not progressed very far and the airplane performed really well at its intended mission of destroying tanks. I thought at the time, and still believe, that the AF just wanted to get rid of it because it wasn't sexy enough. The only thing wrong with it was the writing on the side. It should have said US Army instead of Air Force.