PDA

View Full Version : Alien Life Carnivor Herbivor Omnivor

Raptor1967
2004-May-28, 08:20 PM
I wonder which would be the most Common . I fell omnivors would be the most likely to Develope into Intelligent life due to the their inherent adapdability.

Sorry thought passed through my brain and out my fingers

:lol:

ToSeek
2004-May-28, 08:40 PM
Herbivores have to spend a lot of time eating and probably don't need to think a whole lot to find food, so I would think intelligent life would tend to be carnivores or omnivores.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-May-28, 08:52 PM
Of course this all assumes a Chlorophyllic Primary Food Source.

Different Stellar Harvesting sources may be possible.

Also, different forms of Primary energy gathering may occur.

When we get out into Inter-Stellar Space, we may find out that Chemovores are the most Common Intelligences, but, who knows ...

HenrikOlsen
2004-May-28, 09:57 PM
Intelligence has clear advantages in all three groups, however you define them.

Yes, it doesn't take much intelligence to sneak up on a leaf, but it does take intelligence to notice a lurking pack of lions while doing so and to find the best escape route.

Raptor1967
2004-May-28, 10:03 PM
I would think the energy need to fuel a mobile intelligent being could'nt be derived from photosynthesis. Isnít the efficiency rating of photosynthesis something like 5%?

Kaptain K
2004-May-28, 10:22 PM
Good question! =D>

On Earth, the most intelligent animals are omnivores (us), with carnivores second (cetaceans). The top five is rounded out with two carnivores (canines and felines) and one omnivore (ursines). Herbivores rank way down the list (the dumbest pig is far smarter than the smartest horse).

My guess is that intelligent species in the universe would be split 60% omnivores, 35% carnivores and 5% herbivores.

JohnW
2004-May-28, 11:06 PM
Good question! =D>

On Earth, the most intelligent animals are omnivores (us), with carnivores second (cetaceans). The top five is rounded out with two carnivores (canines and felines) and one omnivore (ursines). Herbivores rank way down the list (the dumbest pig is far smarter than the smartest horse).

My guess is that intelligent species in the universe would be split 60% omnivores, 35% carnivores and 5% herbivores.
I think it's possible that there may be more herbivores than that. Don't forget that of the five great ape species, three (humans, chimpanzees and bonobos) are omnivores, and two (orang-utans and gorillas) are herbivores.

How long do you suppose it will be before our sample size is big enough to give a firm answer?

Kaptain K
2004-May-28, 11:45 PM
Even gorillas go for termites whenever they can!

TriangleMan
2004-May-29, 03:33 PM
This link (http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/orangutan.htm) claims orangutans are omnivores - they occasionally eat insects and birds.

(edited to add: The Orangutan Foundation (http://www.orangutan.org/facts/orangutanfacts.php) says they occasionally eat insects but are primarily vegitarian.)

Mainframes
2004-May-29, 04:07 PM
Intelligence has clear advantages in all three groups, however you define them.

Yes, it doesn't take much intelligence to sneak up on a leaf, but it does take intelligence to notice a lurking pack of lions while doing so and to find the best escape route.

I would have thought decent surround vision and being able to run very fast would be better!

Hunters usually have to outwit faster and better endurance herbivores by advanced hunting techniques, which demand high levels of intelligence.

Raptor1967
2004-May-30, 04:56 PM
I would think Carnivors would be second on the list behind omnivors I believe any intelligent race would eventually follow these habits (omnivour that is ) for efficiancy reasons alone. Imagine the number of stock animals you need to maintain for your population.