PDA

View Full Version : On the "No Script" add-on in Firefox.

Inclusa
2011-Jun-03, 07:09 AM
I used to think it was a necessity; later, it provides more inconvenience than security.
What do you think?

ggremlin
2011-Jun-03, 08:01 AM
I use it all the time, I enable the sites I want to work all the time, and temporary enable sites, like google when I need something more than the basics.

I don't want or need to have video, flash and animations auto-start, I like to spending my CPU cycles, bandwidth and memory on stuff I want. Security is really secondary, but I don't like being tracked and being hacked either.

Track record is good, I haven't had a virus or malcode downloaded to my PCs in over three years. I also use AdBlock, but some people say that's like card-counting, not cheating, but not fair to the website host.

For the record Bautforum is on my white list.

PaulLogan
2011-Jun-03, 08:38 AM
i agree with ggremlin.

i use firefox 99% of the time. noscript, adblock and "tab utilities" are the bare minimum of add-ons for me.

i like to be in charge of what i receive from (and send to) the internet, which is an essential tool for me. for a variety of reasons. security and removal of annoyances are the top priorities for me.

noscript does the job. no problems so far. whenever i suspect it might mess things up i can always disable it with 2 mouse clicks. works for me.
same with adblock. i find most ads simply insulting. i want to be in charge of what i see.

however, both of those are quite technical in nature and not for everyone i'd say. it takes a bit of computer and also web knowledge to make full use of them.
if you have that knowledge, i'd say they are must-haves.

Fazor
2011-Jun-03, 11:49 AM
I just incorporated a few google ads into my webpage: nothing too much -- I hate when ads take over a website. But when I was trying to get the code to work I spent nearly a half hour without any luck.

. . . then I realized that was because I use both noscript and adblock plus! :) I disabled adblock and found that the ads were, indeed, working after all. D'oh!

Jim
2011-Jun-03, 12:00 PM
And obviously adblock is, too.

Romanus
2011-Jun-03, 10:58 PM
I absolutely swear by NoScript and AdBlock; any of their annoyances are a small price for peace of mind.