PDA

View Full Version : Fighting for time on Hubble

ToSeek
2002-May-01, 04:24 PM
For every astronomer who uses the telescope, eight more are turned away. Hubble has not seen that kind of demand since it first launched in 1990. (http://www.floridatoday.com/news/space/stories/2002a/050102nasa.htm)

rsa
2002-May-01, 04:42 PM
From your link.

It costs about $200 million a year to maintain Hubble, so having both Next Generation Space Telescope and Hubble operating at the same time would be costly, and therefore unlikely.
It seems to me that it would be well worth $200 million a year to keep Hubble going along with the NGST. What a waste to decommision the HST.

Azpod
2002-May-01, 06:28 PM
On 2002-05-01 12:42, rsa wrote:
It seems to me that it would be well worth $200 million a year to keep Hubble going along with the NGST. What a waste to decommision the HST.

I couldn't agree more. Granted, the HST should be decommisioned at some point, but there should be overlap of a few years between the HST and the NGST, where astronomers who can't get time on the NGST may get a decent crack at time on the HST. Also, the HST and the NGST could do observations of the same object to try to resolve planets or other such exteremely faint objects that would be difficult for either one to resolve on its own.