PDA

View Full Version : Binary Jovians

Tom Mazanec
2004-May-30, 04:15 PM
Any prospect of discovering binary jovians in the next few years? I would think that a transit detecting satellite would be the best chance.

Candy
2004-Jun-07, 01:47 PM
Good question! I, being a layman would say not in my lifetime. I may get debunked, but I believe the planets in our Solar System are as is up to the Kuiper Belt. I don't believe Pluto is a legitimate planet, yet. :o

Demigrog
2004-Jun-07, 02:35 PM
Good question! I, being a layman would say not in my lifetime. I may get debunked, but I believe the planets in our Solar System are as is up to the Kuiper Belt. I don't believe Pluto is a legitimate planet, yet. :o

I'd guess he meant extra-solar planets by his reference to transit detection.

Oh, and I don't consider Pluto a planet either, but that is a different thread. :)

eburacum45
2004-Jun-07, 03:04 PM
Like this you mean? (http://www.orionsarm.com/worlds/Bill_and_Bull.html)
http://www.orionsarm.com/worlds/Bill_and_Bull.jpg

You will have to wait till 2012 (43 after Tranquillity)

Candy
2004-Jun-07, 06:23 PM
I'd guess he meant extra-solar planets by his reference to transit detection. #-o

Spacedog
2004-Jun-07, 09:46 PM
Pluto is a Planet, because it's spherical and orbits the Sun. Besides, it has a Moon. But anyways, such distinctions are interpretive as poetry, and thus more political than literal.

(dare to say whatever, wherever)
8)

But I'm guessing what Tom Mazanec inquires to is Jupiter size planets in Binary Systems? Not likely this week (another lay-creature doth speak), if only because of the proximity required to infer from wobble?

Tom Mazanec
2004-Jun-08, 07:51 PM
Two Jovians which each orbit a center of mass that in turn oribits a star other than the sun.

TravisM
2004-Jun-09, 05:01 PM
I'd venture to guess that any jovian type planet wouldn't have formed as a binary pair. I'm not sure how stars do it either, but they would have merged early on, right? Only other way I can think of is that one is 'captured' by the other. Here's the scenarios I've come up with:
1. The two planets were orbiting in opposite directions with approx. the same mass and approx. the same speed brushed by one another.
2. The larger of the two no-where-near-simmilar mass jovians (say Jupiter and Neptune) captured the smaller.
Both of these scenarios seem unlikely, the first more so than the second.