PDA

View Full Version : Are Planetary Nebula in need of renaming - anyone for Ejstellats instead?

Messier Tidy Upper
2011-Jun-08, 01:37 AM
Is it time (overdue even) that we changed the term 'Planetary Nebulae' just as we've long since changed the term 'spiral nebulae' to 'glaxies' instead?

A number of comments - starting from this one (#17) :

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/06/06/a-star-on-the-edge-of-a-weird-lovely-death/comment-page-1/#comment-387436

(See also comments #20, 21, 23 & 26.)

have pointed out the confusing inaccuracy of the term 'Planetary Nebula' when it comes to astronomical nomenclature and have argued its time that term was changed.

What do folks here think?

A few alternatives have been suggested - mine* being that we call them “Ejstellats” (pronounced like "Edge-stellats") from “Ejected Stellar Atmospheres”. This sounds good, indicates their true nature and follows from the traditions model of Pulsar, quasar and Antares. “Protoplanetary nebulae” would then become “Proto-Ejstellats” in turn.

Other suggestions include " Terminal Nebula" by Nigel Depledge & “Stellar Terminal Nebulae” (STSNs) by "Anchor". Thoughts?

* I post on the BA blog as Messier Tidy Upper.

Messier Tidy Upper
2011-Jun-08, 01:50 AM
Okay, sorry about the misspelling of "renaming" & the italicising of the first poll option there. Don't know how that happened & doesn't look like you can edit the poll question here. Mea culpa

Kinetic
2011-Jun-08, 03:29 AM
Possibly, but not with 'Ejstellat' as it is a hideous word.

Cobra1597
2011-Jun-08, 03:36 AM
I'd rather use the entire "Ejected Stellar Atmospheres" than "Ejstellats." That shortened name is, no offense, terrible IMO.

Amber Robot
2011-Jun-08, 05:46 PM
Protoplanetary nebulae” would then become “Proto-Ejstellats” in turn.

I'm not sure I understand this point. What would a proto-ejstellat be?

Romanus
2011-Jun-08, 10:19 PM
Given that astronomical terminology is often conservative, I see no reason to change it.