PDA

View Full Version : Coronal Mass Ejection

elizabeth25
2011-Jun-08, 12:34 PM
The Sun unleashed an M-2 (medium-sized) solar flare, an S1-class (minor) radiation storm and a spectacular coronal mass ejection (CME) on June 7, 2011 from sunspot complex 1226-1227. The large cloud of particles mushroomed up and fell back down looking as if it covered an area of almost half the solar surface.

It is somewhat unique because at many places in the eruption there seems to be even cooler material - at temperatures less than 80,000 K.

sky watchers should be alert for auroras when the CME arrives.

As i was browsing through the internet for more information and pictures i accidentally clicked on 2012;Coronal mass ejection. why do people link everything to 2012 now.

NASA has confirmed that there are two large holes or areas in the Earth's magnetosphere , confirmed by their THEMIS satellites. When this solar event happens again as predicted by NASA , there will be alot less protection from our magnetosphere . The end result will be a life changing event for the whole world

End of the world? NO, when will people understand? :wall:

Shaula
2011-Jun-08, 04:22 PM
End of the world? NO, when will people understand? :wall:
Hopefully 2013.

elizabeth25
2011-Jun-08, 10:56 PM
Hopefully 2013.

you want the world to end in 2013? :confused:

Shaula
2011-Jun-09, 05:30 AM
Nope, I just mean that hopefully when 2013 ticks over they will have learnt an important lesson about ends of the world. I'm being hopelessly optimistic here, they'll just switch to 2021 or some other date but hope springs eternal.

elizabeth25
2011-Jun-09, 09:53 AM
yeah i know what you mean, some people have nothing better to do than scare people with end of the world rubbish, it was supposed to end last month, then September or something, now next year, these people need to get a life really. i mean the world will end but not yet, we got billions of years left, unless some power hungry idiot pushes a button. A lot of people believe strongly about the Mayan calendar, but its just a calendar, i, personally dont understand what all the fuss is about. and when the world ends, it ends. nothing we can do about it. everything will eventually die.