PDA

View Full Version : LHC - time travel?

pie33
2011-Jun-08, 04:39 PM
Los Angeles Times has reported for June 06, 2011 that researchers at the large hadron collider have trapped atoms of antimatter form of hydrogen for nearly 17 minutes. - So if a clock was placed into the trap area, time would travel backward, and what one would see was the 17 minutes before the collision occured through another dimension.

Strange
2011-Jun-08, 04:51 PM
Er, no.

emmylou
2011-Jun-08, 05:10 PM
Don't even know what to say to that :/

Think you are over thinking the whole antimatter thing ;)

Daffy
2011-Jun-08, 05:12 PM
Er, no.

Answers like that are precisely why I don't participate here anymore.

jfribrg
2011-Jun-08, 05:40 PM
antimatter is a term used to describe matter that has opposite electrical charges than the "ordinary" matter that is all around us. In other respects, it is just like regular matter. It is affected by gravity the same way. It's quantum and relativistic behavior is the same as ordinary matter. And what's most important to this thread, it travels through time the same as ordinary matter.

ShinAce
2011-Jun-08, 07:36 PM
There are many instances where looking at something happening backwards is just as fruitful, but that doesn't make it true. In electronics, you can say a negative charge moving forward is the same as a positive charge moving backwards.

We sometimes say a positron(antimatter electron) is an electron travelling backwards in time. While this does not disturb the mathematics, it should not be taken literally.

What may have happened is that the reporter googled antimatter and got the "antimatter is the same as normal matter going backwards in time" and took it too far.

The reason we want to make antimatter hydrogen (antihydrogen) is because we want to double check that the light it gives off has the same colors as normal hydrogen. It's supposed to, but first you need cold antimatter to do these spectroscopy experiments.

slang
2011-Jun-08, 09:09 PM
Los Angeles Times has reported for June 06, 2011 that researchers at the large hadron collider have trapped atoms of antimatter form of hydrogen for nearly 17 minutes. - So if a clock was placed into the trap area, time would travel backward, and what one would see was the 17 minutes before the collision occured through another dimension.

This is Q&A. Are you asking a question, but forgot to put in the question mark?

pzkpfw
2011-Jun-08, 09:09 PM
Answers like that are precisely why I don't participate here anymore.

Leave out the commentary. If you have an issue with a post, report it.

Strange
2011-Jun-08, 10:15 PM

OK. Let me try a slightly fuller reply, assuming the last part is a question. Although antimatter can be treated mathematically as time, charge and parity reversed matter that doesn't actually mean that it travels backwards in time. It is just a way of representing the symmetries involved.

But even if it did move backwards in time, there is no reason to think that it would drag any ordinary matter along with it.

Please let me know if that doesn't answer your questions or uncertainties.

Jeff Root
2011-Jun-09, 07:57 AM
antimatter is a term used to describe matter that has opposite
electrical charges than the "ordinary" matter that is all around us.
In other respects, it is just like regular matter. It is affected by
gravity the same way. It's quantum and relativistic behavior is
the same as ordinary matter. And what's most important to this
thread, it travels through time the same as ordinary matter.
Antimatter is the reverse of ordinary matter in more than just
electric charge. As others said, it looks exactly like ordinary
matter reversed in time. As Strange said, it has reversed "parity".
That means left and right are reversed.

Some of the electromagnetic properties of antimatter have never
been measured. That is what this antimatter is being made for.
The spectra of antihydrogen atoms will be examined for the first
time in the next couple of years. After that, no earlier than 2015,
will be the more difficult experiment to determine whether antimatter
responds to Earth's gravity the same as ordinary matter.. Theory
says it will, but the theory was developed entirely on the basis of
observations of ordinary matter.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

astromark
2011-Jun-09, 08:46 AM

Maybe the fault lies with 'the Los Angeles Times' ... was it them that mentioned the time aspect.. because that is the part of this that is misleading.. It would be My understanding that as has been said.. Time does not reverse just because you have a negative charged particle.. Oops that should read as 'Antimatter' which is not what it is not but is.. and now I shall return to watching Doctor Who... and talk with cat some more.. sorry.

astromark
2011-Jun-09, 09:04 AM
I do not have a copy of your Los Angeles Times to read and check but can with some assuring authority tell you that as antimatter might be found or created from the LHC... Time reversal is not at any point a reality other than the mathematicians mind. If you can contradict that FACT please be forthcoming with it... Thanks, Mark Lee.

Sam5
2011-Jun-09, 05:39 PM
Here's the LA Times article. I haven't read it yet.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/06/science/la-sci-antimatter-20110606

Sam5
2011-Jun-09, 05:42 PM
Ok, I just read it. Looks to me like the Times didn't say anything about time travel. Seems that the article just says it's difficult to contain anti-matter for several minutes, but someone finally did it.

slang
2011-Jun-09, 05:52 PM
If it traveled time it would be difficult to contain for several minutes before it was made, no?

astromark
2011-Jun-09, 08:02 PM
Thank you Sam5... So I file this as 'not said'. No mention or implication of time not doing what it's famous for. Marching on.