PDA

View Full Version : Neaby Galaxy Has Two Monster Black Holes

Fraser
2011-Jun-10, 08:00 PM
Why does this galaxy appear to be smiling? The answer might be because it has been holding a secret that astrophysicists have only now just uncovered: there are two — count ‘em – two gigantic black holes inside this nearby galaxy, named Markarian 739 (or NGD 3758), and both are very active. While massive black [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/86485/neaby-galaxy-has-two-monster-black-holes/)

Buttercup
2011-Jun-10, 08:04 PM
Okay, HOW COME that galaxy gets TWO supermassive black holes and meanwhile OUR galaxy gets only one?? :mad:

George
2011-Jun-10, 08:37 PM
:) But, for galaxies, two is likely a crowd, if you want to live for a while.

Buttercup
2011-Jun-10, 08:40 PM
:) But, for galaxies, two is likely a crowd, if you want to live for a while.

You've got a really good point there! ;)

Yeah, being spaghetti-inized doesn't appeal to me at all.

swampyankee
2011-Jun-11, 03:16 PM
Buttercup, I don't think that you'd have to be very close to get killed by these black holes. How much energy will get released when the two of them merge? (this is a genuine question--I've really no good idea, except to calculate how much potential energy that a few million solar mass objects separated by a few thousand light-years have to turn into other forms.)

Buttercup
2011-Jun-11, 04:03 PM
Buttercup, I don't think that you'd have to be very close to get killed by these black holes. How much energy will get released when the two of them merge? (this is a genuine question--I've really no good idea, except to calculate how much potential energy that a few million solar mass objects separated by a few thousand light-years have to turn into other forms.)

I was surprised to read they're only separated from each other by 11,000 light years. That's mighty close, astronomically speaking.