PDA

View Full Version : Article on debating pseudoscience in NYT

David Hall
2002-May-01, 04:54 PM
I just came across this New York Times article. I think the title says it all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/30/science/30ESSA.html

The Bad Astronomer
2002-May-01, 05:05 PM
For those wondering why the author's name is familiar, he wrote "The Physics of Star Trek" and other science works. One of these days I need to chat with him; he sounds like na interesting guy.

His article is of course correct, and I have said the same thing for some time. Debating True Believers can be very frustrating, which is why (as those of you with long memeories will recall) I declined being on Clyde Lewis' radio show to debate Bart Sibrel. Now, after a year, I think I'd be happy to do that, but at that time I was not prepared to be thrown into a one-sided debate.

Michael Shermer talks about this in "Why People Believe Weird Things" as well. I think it would be fun to get a bunch of skeptics together to swap stories like this. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ToSeek
2002-May-01, 06:44 PM
On 2002-05-01 13:05, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
For those wondering why the author's name is familiar, he wrote "The Physics of Star Trek" and other science works. One of these days I need to chat with him; he sounds like na interesting guy.

He gave a talk at an astrobiology symposium I attended a few years ago - he is an interesting guy.