PDA

View Full Version : Favorite movie quotes

Pages : [1] 2 3

Buttercup
2011-Jun-17, 08:40 PM
Thought I should put this here, rather than in Fun & Games(?).

"If I'm going to {someplace unpleasant mentioned in the Bible}, I'm going to {someplace unpleasant mentioned in the Bible} playing the piano!"

--Jerry Lee Lewis in Great Balls of Fire!

SkepticJ
2011-Jun-18, 04:52 AM
Most of my favorite movie quotes aren't really board-appropriate, but here's a few that are:

"This guy's a waste of skin." - Russ Thomson Sr., Honey I Shrunk the Kids

"Blue Steel? Ferrari? Le Tigra? They're the same face! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy-pills! I invented the piano key necktie, I invented it! What have you done, Derek? You've done nothing! NOTHING!" - Jacobim Mugatu, Zoolander

"Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you, madam." - Buck Russell, Uncle Buck

AGN Fuel
2011-Jun-18, 11:39 AM
We never lost an American in space and we're sure as hell not going to lose one on my watch. Failure is not an option. (Gene Kranz - Apollo 13)

How's the serenity? ..... so much serenity. (Darryl Kerrigan - The Castle)

The powers that be have been very busy lately, clawing over each other to position themselves for the game of the millennium. Maybe I can help deal you back in.... I didn't realise I was out.... Well, maybe not out... but certainly being handed your hat! (S.R. Hadden talking to Ellie in Contact. Honorable mention also for his "Wanna take a ride???")

swampyankee
2011-Jun-18, 02:20 PM
From Casablanca:

Major Strasser: How about New York?
Rick: Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade.

peteshimmon
2011-Jun-18, 03:00 PM
Will Mr Mainwarings party come to the
assembley point.

Airport.

mike alexander
2011-Jun-18, 03:05 PM
The Blues Brothers:

"Are you the police?"

"No, Ma'am. We're musicians."

Swift
2011-Jun-18, 03:35 PM
"Yes it's true... this man has no _____" - Ghostbusters

"A spanking! A spanking!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"'Course it's a good idea!" - God, in MPATHG

"Run away!" - MPATHG

So many from Airplane:

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Steve McCroskey: Johnny, what can you make out of this?
Johnny: This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it?
Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Buttercup
2011-Jun-18, 04:00 PM
"Dodge this."

--Trinity to one of The Agents (The Matrix), just before shooting him.

Buttercup
2011-Jun-18, 04:36 PM
[David Aames receives his facial prosthetic]

Dr. Pomeranz: "It's...a helpful unit."

David: "Good." (pause of disbelief) "Because for a minute there, I thought we were talking about a 'stupid' mask!!"

--Vanilla Sky

Substantia Innominata
2011-Jun-18, 07:34 PM
"They're taking me with them... with the Phoenix... going to circle the universe forever. I'm with them now... be back this way again some day. Doolittle, before it's too late, there's one last thing I want to tell you... ... ... *sshhhhhhh*"

One of those I could never get out of my head again. This is, of course, Talby.. his last words, in John Carpenter's "Dark Star".

LaurelHS
2011-Jun-18, 07:47 PM
We never lost an American in space and we're sure as hell not going to lose one on my watch. Failure is not an option. (Gene Kranz - Apollo 13)

I second that... and of course the real Gene Kranz liked this line too. :)

Warden: Mr. Cash? Might I suggest you refrain from playing any tunes that remind them, the inmates that is, that they are in prison?
Johnny Cash: You think they forgot?
(Walk The Line)

Tensor
2011-Jun-18, 08:14 PM
Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Capt. Renault. "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money] "Your winnings sir".

Casablanca

Swift
2011-Jun-19, 04:39 AM
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."
Also from 2001:

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"

"No 9000 computer has ever distorted data"

"My mind is going, I can feel it, I can feel it"

Swift
2011-Jun-19, 04:44 AM
From Dr. Strangelove:

President Merkin Muffley: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

General "Buck" Turgidson: "Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!"

Tensor
2011-Jun-19, 04:52 AM
Again, from Dr. Strangelove:

Maj. T.J. "King" Kong: Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Tobin Dax
2011-Jun-19, 05:39 AM
"Dodge this."

--Trinity to one of The Agents (The Matrix), just before shooting him.

Even better when following the Agent's preceding line, "Only human."

geonuc
2011-Jun-19, 09:40 AM
"I'll alert the media." - Hobson, Arthur

danscope
2011-Jun-19, 12:23 PM
" We'll trade for it,Sir ." .......Milo Minderbender

and

" Nately,....where's my parachute ? " From ' Catch 22 '

Swift
2011-Jun-19, 01:05 PM
"I'll alert the media." - Hobson, Arthur
I occasionally use that one on my wife, for some of her pronouncements. :D

geonuc
2011-Jun-19, 01:21 PM
I occasionally use that one on my wife, for some of her pronouncements. :D

I put it to regular use at work.

geonuc
2011-Jun-19, 01:24 PM
"We're gonna need a bigger boat." - Chief Brody, Jaws

Swift
2011-Jun-19, 03:52 PM
There are a bunch I like from Blazing Saddles, but I'm not sure any are BAUT appropriate.... OK, maybe one:

"Mongo like chocolate"

Solfe
2011-Jun-19, 04:03 PM
Ray - "It's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man." Ghostbusters

Jimmy Dugan - "THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!" A League of Their Own

Rory - "Would you like me to repeat the question?" Dr. Who (not a movie.)

Swift
2011-Jun-19, 04:07 PM
Jimmy Dugan - "THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!" A League of Their Own
One of my favorites. Actually A League of Their Own has my two favorite baseball movie quotes, the other (also from Jimmy Dugan) is "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great"

vonmazur
2011-Jun-19, 06:24 PM
Guys, I like the line that George Macready gives as Paul Mireau in "Paths of Glory"; "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, they'll face French ones!" Macready's breathless delivery and style really made it stick with me....I use it as a signature line on the French Gun and Weapons Forums....since the film was banned in France for many years, and supposedly something like this really happened in the Great War...

Dr. Stranglove is full of memorable lines, but Colonel Batguano and Wing Commodore Mandrake at the phone booth/coke machine was a classic.....

"Who are you, and what's that funny suit you got on?" etc...the phrase "Deviated Pre-vert" was just too much for me the first time I watched this film....

Dale

vonmazur
2011-Jun-19, 06:28 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" What could top Alfonso Bedoya?? "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!!" This line has been made fun of in other movies as well....Like Weird Al's "UHF", and some others that I cannot recall....."Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!!"

Dale

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jun-19, 10:31 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" What could top Alfonso Bedoya?? "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!!" This line has been made fun of in other movies as well....Like Weird Al's "UHF", and some others that I cannot recall....."Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!!"

DaleSuch as the aforementioned Blazing Saddles when don't-call-me-Hedy Lamarr is hiring toughs.

danscope
2011-Jun-19, 11:53 PM
" Now...repeat after me....: "I " .
" I " .
" State your name " .
" State your name " ......

Solfe
2011-Jun-20, 01:54 AM
" Now...repeat after me....: "I " .
" I " .
" State your name " .
" State your name " ......

Ed Wood?

Solfe
2011-Jun-20, 02:16 AM
I know I am breaching etiquette with two back to back posts but...

"Bueller.... Bueller... Bueller..."

And of course the classic:

Cameron: I'm dying.
[Phone rings, and Cameron answers]
Ferris: You're not dying, you just can't think of anything good to do.

And the prophetic:

Jeannie: Why are you here?
Boy in Police Station (Charlie Sheen): Drugs.

AGN Fuel
2011-Jun-20, 03:40 AM
"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude." (Walter, The Big Lebowski)

"He died in a bizarre gardening accident... The authorities said 'best leave it unsolved'." (David & Nigel, This is Spinal Tap)

Talking about the US Ambassador visiting the radio telescope at Parkes, while they were trying to locate the "lost" A11 CSM: "(He's a) space nut... knows everything about Apollo 11." "Does he know where it is??" (Al Burnett & 'Mitch' Mitchell in The Dish)

Delvo
2011-Jun-20, 04:56 AM
"Yes it's true... this man has no _____" - GhostbustersThat reminds me of one I love but can't ever quote in a conversation, because appropriate contexts to use it in never arise and almost nobody would recognize it because the movie isn't well known. It's from "Brainsmasher: A Love Story", which starred Andrew Dice Clay as a bouncer and co-starred Teri Hatcher before she was famous. He's previously taught an old lady a fighting technique called "the one-two": first a strike to the groin, then one to the head. When they get attacked by Chinese warrior-monks ("not ninjas!"), he reminds her "Granny! The one-two!" and she responds "The one-two!" and smacks one between the legs with her cane while shouting "ONE!... This guy's got no balls!" (It didn't work, so she didn't get to step two.)

Liking little-known movies is a pain in the butt for people who like to conversationally quote movies. I frequently need to remind myself that, when any kind of change in plans is happening, it would be pointless to mimic Michael Douglas's way of saying "Change in plans" in the scene when he first arrives in "The Ghost and the Darkness", because nobody would know what I was doing.

vonmazur
2011-Jun-20, 05:05 AM
Such as the aforementioned Blazing Saddles when don't-call-me-Hedy Lamarr is hiring toughs.

Henrik: Thanks, I forgot where it was used....Too many dvd's and not enough time!!

Dale

Noclevername
2011-Jun-20, 05:56 AM
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
"Stop Saying That!"

And just about every other line from TPB.

Noclevername
2011-Jun-20, 06:11 AM
"Right, we agreed, no leaders. So shut up and do as I say. " Randall, Time Bandits

Noclevername
2011-Jun-20, 06:14 AM
"Get the bags, Igor."
"Sure, you take the blonde, and I'll get the one in the turban!"

Young Frankenstein

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-20, 06:29 AM
Pretty much everything Otto says in A Fish Called Wanda.

Sample:

KEN: What's goin' on?

OTTO: Well Ken, I'm going to ask you some questions while I eat my chips. First, who was the philosopher who developed the concept of the superman in "Also Sprach Zarathustra" No? That's a chip up the nose I'm afraid. Friedrich Nietzsche. Second, in which book did Nietzsche claim that all higher culture is based on cruelty? Are you thinking or are you in mid-stutter? No? Mm? "Beyond Good and Evil"! I guess I'm gonna have to ask you an easy one huh Ken. OK, ummm, lemme think... ummmmmmmmmm Where are the diamonds?"

OTTO: You English! You think you're so superior don't you? Well you're the filth of the planet! A bunch of pompous, badly dressed, poverty-stricken, sexually repressed football hooligans!"

And since others have already mentioned Ghostbusters:

PETER: "Go get her, Ray!"

RAY: "Gozer the Gozerian? Good evening. As a designated representative of the city, county and state of New York, I hereby order you to cease any and all paranormal activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

PETER: "That oughta do it, thanks very much Ray."

GOZER: "ARE YOU A GOD?"

RAY: "....No?"

GOZER: "THEN... DIIIIIIIEEE!"

WINSTON: "Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"

Delvo
2011-Jun-20, 06:31 AM
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
"Stop Saying That!"That actor is now a singer, but his music fans all know that one role, and he says it's his favorite role he ever had, so he doesn't get tired/annoyed with it. To this day, he still frequently inserts the line into his concerts, sometimes toying with his audience about it when they start requesting it, pretending not to know what they want or not to be sure whether or not he wants to do it. Then he says it and everybody has a laugh and he goes on to the next song.

Noclevername
2011-Jun-20, 06:33 AM
"If you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings

Tobin Dax
2011-Jun-20, 06:34 AM

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."

Noclevername
2011-Jun-20, 06:36 AM
"Su-per-man." The Iron Giant

AGN Fuel
2011-Jun-20, 06:49 AM

Nice one - some great lines in that movie.

Inigo Montoya to Vezzini: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-20, 06:55 AM
That actor is now a singer, but his music fans all know that one role, and he says it's his favorite role he ever had, so he doesn't get tired/annoyed with it. To this day, he still frequently inserts the line into his concerts, sometimes toying with his audience about it when they start requesting it, pretending not to know what they want or not to be sure whether or not he wants to do it. Then he says it and everybody has a laugh and he goes on to the next song.

Who do you mean? Christopher Guest or Mandy Petinkin? Because Guest was in Spinal Tap if I recall...

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jun-20, 07:06 AM
That actor is now a singer, but his music fans all know that one role, and he says it's his favorite role he ever had, so he doesn't get tired/annoyed with it. To this day, he still frequently inserts the line into his concerts, sometimes toying with his audience about it when they start requesting it, pretending not to know what they want or not to be sure whether or not he wants to do it. Then he says it and everybody has a laugh and he goes on to the next song.
With "that actor", do you mean Mandy Patinkin (Inigo) or Christopher Guest (Count Rugen aka the six fingered man)?

Delvo
2011-Jun-20, 05:19 PM
Patinkin Montoya (who apparently also starred on "Chicago Hope" for a while, along with an assortment of smaller parts in other shows/movies). It is, after all, HIS line, not that other guy's.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-20, 05:20 PM
He also quoted Guest

Buttercup
2011-Jun-20, 05:38 PM
Harry Callahan: "I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'

Well, do ya, punk?"

--Dirty Harry

danscope
2011-Jun-21, 12:35 AM
" Nothing like a fine piece of hickory . " Clint Eastwood in.... "Pale Rider "

eugenek
2011-Jun-21, 12:46 AM
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty - Bladerunner.

mike alexander
2011-Jun-21, 01:39 AM
"You're dumber than a sack of hammers." - Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Chuck
2011-Jun-21, 03:19 AM
An executive to an underling: "That's why my tie costs more than your suit." I don't remember where it came from. I just thought it was funny. I'm pretty sure it was science fiction.

captain swoop
2011-Jun-22, 11:34 AM
'He's not Judge Judy and Executioner, he's my Dad'

Hot Fuzz

Jim
2011-Jun-22, 12:05 PM
There are a bunch I like from Blazing Saddles, but I'm not sure any are BAUT appropriate.... OK, maybe one:

"Mongo like chocolate"

"It's twue! It's twue!"

... Dr. Stranglove is full of memorable lines, but Colonel [Bat Guano] and Wing Commodore Mandrake at the phone booth/coke machine was a classic...

"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

captain swoop
2011-Jun-22, 12:05 PM
Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.

Go, and never darken my towels again.

Marry me and I'll never look at another horse!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?

Policeman: "A hermit eh? Then why's your table set for four?"
Groucho: "That's nothing. My alarm clock is set for eight."

Groucho: "That's in every contract, that's what you call a sanity clause."
Chico: "You can't a fool a me there ain't no sanity clause"

We've got to speed things up in this hotel.
Chef, if a guest orders a three-minute egg, give it to him in two minutes.
If he orders a two-minute egg, give it to him in one minute.
If he orders a one-minute egg, give him a chicken and let him work it out for himself.

Groucho: You know I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world?
Woman: Really?
Groucho: No, but I don't mind lying if it gets me somewhere

We must remember that art is art.
Well, on the other hand water is water isn't it?
And east is east and west is west.
And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesause
they taste much more like prunes than rubarb does.
Now uh...now you tell me what you know.

You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff.
If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff.

Remember men, we're fighting for this woman's honour; which is probably more than she ever did.

Marx Brothers (various movies)

I could go on all day :)

captain swoop
2011-Jun-22, 12:21 PM
The Khasi of Kalabar: May the benevolence of the god Shivoo bring blessings on your house.
Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond: And on yours.
The Khasi of Kalabar: And may his wisdom bring success in all your undertakings.
Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond: And in yours.
The Khasi of Kalabar: And may his radiance light up your life.
Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond: And up yours.

Carry on up the Khyber

(edited one out, it fell foul of the auto sensor but I can't work out why)

Julius Caesar: Infamy, infamy. They've all got it in for me.

Horsa: If anyone in there asks who we are, say we're eunuchs.
Hengist Pod: Yeah. What have we got to lose?

Carry on Cleo

ToSeek
2011-Jun-22, 04:28 PM
That actor is now a singer.

He was a singer then, too. He won a Tony award as the male lead in the musical Evita years before he did Princess Bride.

ToSeek
2011-Jun-22, 04:35 PM
"I'll have what she's having." - When Harry Met Sally

"Well, that's you all over!" - The Wizard of Oz

"Nobody's perfect!" - Some Like It Hot

Noclevername
2011-Jun-22, 05:44 PM
"Janet!"
"Brad!"
"Janet!"
"Doctor Scott!"
"Rocky!"
"...!"

Rhaedas
2011-Jun-22, 06:06 PM
Nice one - some great lines in that movie.

Inigo Montoya to Vezzini: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Another one of his I love and like to use sometimes:

"Let me 'xplain. No, there is no time. Let me sum up."

mike alexander
2011-Jun-22, 06:07 PM
"It's GOOD to be king!" -History of the World, Part 1

"Has du gezen in deine leiben? They're darker than us. Woof!" -Blazing Saddles

“Lozem Geyn!” - ibid.

"Get out. Get out of my house." - The Desperate Hours

Oh my God, what have I done?" - Bridge on the River Kwai

captain swoop
2011-Jun-22, 07:30 PM
The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day.
Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

A prayer's as good as bayonet on a day like this.

If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.
And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.

Zulu

PetersCreek
2011-Jun-22, 09:39 PM
From Quigley Down Under:

Matthew Quigley: I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late.

Matthew Quigley [To a dying Marston, just after being forced to use a Colt revolver to win their showdown]: I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

From El Diablo:

Billy Ray Smith: You just shot that man in the back!
Van Leek: His back was to me.

From The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension::

Buckaroo Banzai [to ‘New Jersey’, while performing brain surgery]: You can check your anatomy all you want, and even though there may be normal variation, when it comes right down to it, this far inside the head it all looks the same. No, no, no, don't tug on that. You never know what it might be attached to.

Lord John Whorfin: Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy.

From The Right Stuff:

Alan Shepard: Request permission to relieve bladder.

vonmazur
2011-Jun-23, 02:19 AM
"Why a Duck?"

Dale

Spoons
2011-Jun-23, 02:55 AM
I remember it from The Simpsons but as is often the case with that show it may be a direct copy or variation on a movie line...

"I fear I have become a buttercup of winter."

I just love that line. Followed by, "Don't say that" if I remember correctly.

captain swoop
2011-Jun-23, 05:22 PM
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Buttercup
2011-Jun-23, 05:57 PM
I remember it from The Simpsons but as is often the case with that show it may be a direct copy or variation on a movie line...

"I fear I have become a buttercup of winter."

I just love that line. Followed by, "Don't say that" if I remember correctly.

:p

Meanwhile, I am a Buttercup for all seasons. :D

And since I posted that, had better post a favorite movie quote:

"Death - by - stereo!"

--Sam, The Lost Boys

captain swoop
2011-Jun-23, 09:54 PM
Red Rover Red Rover, let Ray go over.

baskerbosse
2011-Jun-24, 04:14 AM
-The life of a repo man is always intense..

Swift
2011-Jun-24, 04:36 AM
From The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension::

No matter where you go, there you are

INCONCEIVABLE!

Prince Humperdinck: Surrender.
Westley: You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

Have fun storming the castle!

Marx Brothers (various movies)
...and two hard-boiled eggs

<singing> "Whatever it is, I'm against it"

(one I use every time haddock shows up on a menu):
Professor Wagstaff: I got it. Haddock.
Baravelli: That's-a funny. I gotta haddock, too.
Professor Wagstaff: What do you take for a haddock?
Baravelli: Well-a, sometimes I take-a aspirin, sometimes I take-a Calamel.

Biology Professor: What do you think of that slide?
Professor Wagstaff: Well, I think he was safe at second, but it was very close.

(one I've said to my wife)
Connie: If icky baby don't learn about the football signals, icky baby gonna cwy.
Professor Wagstaff: If icky girl keep on talking that way, big stwong man's gonna kick all of her teef wight down her fwoat.

captain swoop
2011-Jun-24, 09:35 AM
I have to admit I could quite happily put up entire Marx Brothers scripts :)

captain swoop
2011-Jun-24, 10:10 AM
Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into.

Eta C
2011-Jun-24, 12:39 PM
Woman: Oh hold me, hold me closer, closer.
Groucho: If I held you any closer I'd be on the other side of you.

I know, you're a woman who's had nothing but dirty breaks.
Well, we can clean and tighten your brakes, but you'll have to say in the garage all night.

And one more from Casablanca for good measure

Renault: I've often wondered what in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca.
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Renault: Waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

jamesabrown
2011-Jun-24, 01:40 PM
My family and I enjoy repeating movie lines to each other:

Chicken Run:
"Oh, it's gnomes now!"
"I told you they was organized!"

The Princess Bride lines already mentioned, but here's one more:
"No more rhyming now, I mean it!"
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

Tobin Dax
2011-Jun-24, 10:31 PM
Chicken Run:
"Oh, it's gnomes now!"
"I told you they was organized!"

One of my favorites from that movie:
[As chickens start to rebel.]
"Mrs. Tweedy! The chickens are revolting!"
"Finally something we agree on."

Buttercup
2011-Jun-24, 10:41 PM
Dory: "Okay, he either said 'move to the back of the throat' or he 'wants a root beer float'."

--Finding Nemo

danscope
2011-Jun-25, 04:25 AM
" Please don't cry anymore! I'll get you in to see the wizard somehow. I......I had an Aunt Em myself, once ! "

And wasn't he just great? :)

captain swoop
2011-Jun-25, 10:16 PM
'It's Hedley'

marsbug
2011-Jun-25, 11:45 PM
Captain Kirk is being held by the throat a foot off the floor by a super strong space alien, who is only using one arm to do so:

Kirk: (strangled gargling noise)

Alien: "Your species is even weaker than I anticipated, so pathetic." (Brings Kirk closer so they are nose to nose) "What are you trying to say?"

Kirk snatches the aliens blaster out of his open holster and shoots him in the stomach.

Kirk: "I said: 'I've got your gun'."

danscope
2011-Jun-26, 02:53 AM
Brigid O'Shaughnessy:" I haven't lived a good life. I've been bad, worse than you could know. "
Sam Spade:" You know, that's good, because if you actually were as innocent as you pretend to be, we'd never get anywhere. "
The Maltese Falcon

Romanus
2011-Jun-26, 04:59 AM
<-- A huge quote geek. :) I won't even try to list my favorites, as it's impossible to pick choose when there's always a situation in which one or another is applicable, or when a random quote pops into my mind unannounced.

Hot Shots!
Admiral Benson: (talking to Lt. Block) You're right; "Dead Meat" Thompson only had a *small* family. Kid's a brat, wife's on the sauce--yeah, better off dead. What size shoes do you wear?
Block: A nine, sir.
Benson: Good, it's settled then; we'll send Harley to the front.

Ghostbusters
Stantz: I tried to think of the most harmless thing, something I loved from my childhood, something that could never, ever possibly destroy us: Mr. Stay-Puft.
Venkman: Nice thinkin', Ray.
Stantz: We used to roast Stay-Puft Marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wakanda...
Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon; what have you got left?
Spengler: Sorry, Venkman; I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Sulu: You did it, sir--
Kirk: I did *nothing*, except get caught with my britches down; must be getting senile. Mr. Saavik, you go *right* on quoting regulations!

Last one for now...

Face/Off
Archer (as Castor): You...you killed them?
Castor (as Archer): Beats paying the bill, right? I mean, if a face-lift costs five grand...

jamesabrown
2011-Jun-27, 01:23 PM
From Tremors, a line that makes me laugh out loud, after a very long intense scene:

"Looks like you broke into the wrong blankety-blank rec room, didn't ya!"

darkhunter
2011-Jun-27, 02:36 PM
Aliens
Ripley: "Did IQs drop sharply while I was away?"

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-27, 07:26 PM
Ah Ripley! She's so awesome.

"Changes in air density, my ***."

"They can bill me!"

"You've been a part of my life so long, I can't remember anything else."

"Ripley, you've fought one of these things before, right?"

"Yes".

"So, like, what didja do?"

"I died."

danscope
2011-Jun-27, 11:36 PM
" In 1857 , Henson and Stringfellow flew a rubber powered model over 600 meters before it encountered an obstruction . "

" Was that yards .... or meters, Mr Dorfman ? "

AGN Fuel
2011-Jun-28, 03:12 AM
Aliens
Ripley: "Did IQs drop sharply while I was away?"

Yes, some really good quotes from these movies. I think my favourite though was Newt's simple and earnest comment when told that the men protecting her & Ripley were soldiers:

"It won't make any difference."

Sends a shiver up my spine every time!

Chuck
2011-Jun-28, 03:58 AM
I remember one from Aliens between Hudson, a male space marine, and Vasquez a female space marine:

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Vasquez: No. Have you?

danscope
2011-Jun-28, 05:00 AM
" It's times like this when I miss the flatlands, Joe. The nearest water was 100 miles away. You could wade across it
at the height of the rainy season. We used to make clay pots out of it's bottom in the summer . "
Adm. Chester W. Nimitz ... as played by Henry Fonda in Mid-way .

Swift
2011-Jun-28, 01:48 PM
I remember one from Aliens between Hudson, a male space marine, and Vasquez a female space marine:

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Vasquez: No. Have you?
Two of my favorite lines from Aliens (both of which I use in real life):

"That's it man, game over man, game over!"

" I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Buttercup
2011-Jun-28, 02:28 PM
"We have such sights to show you."

"No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

--Hellraiser

Romanus
2011-Jun-28, 11:49 PM
God, as long as we're dropping Aliens lines (it's still my all-time favorite movie), here are my two favorites:

Ripley (pointing to Newt): She survived longer than that with no weapons, and no training!
(Newt salutes Hudson)
Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?!

And:

Hudson: What are we going to do now, what are going to do?!
Burke: Maybe we can build a fire, sing a couple of songs, heh? Why don't we try that?

jokergirl
2011-Jun-29, 08:23 AM
[Henry Jones, Jr.] "No ticket!"

WHarris
2011-Jun-29, 02:39 PM
"Ah, Kirk, my old friend. Have you heard the Klingon proverb that tells us that revenge is a dish best served cold? It is very cold... in space."
Khan, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Swift
2011-Jun-29, 03:11 PM
KHAN!!!!

danscope
2011-Jun-29, 07:54 PM
" Give me 'genesis' and I'll consider it ! "

NEOWatcher
2011-Jun-29, 08:20 PM
Star Trek has some good ones, but part of it depends on understanding the character. Here's some that I like.

The Advocate will refrain from making her opponent disappear.

It's difficult to work in groups when you're omnipotent.

We have them just where they want us.

I am NOT a merry man!!!

Data: I hate this! It is revolting!
Guinan: More?
Data: Please!

Buttercup
2011-Jun-29, 08:26 PM
Alan Frog: We don't ride with vampires.

Sam Emerson: Fine, stay here.

Edgar Frog: [Looks around, clearly scared] We do now.

Alan Frog: Yeah.

Edgar Frog: We trashed the one that looks like Twisted Sister.

Alan Frog: Totally annihilated his night-stalking rump!

Edgar Frog: Well...Nanook helped a little.

Sam Emerson: You're a vampire! I knew it!

Michael Emerson: I am not!

Sam Emerson: So what are you? The Flying Nun?

Alan Frog: [after Laddie vamps out] Holy "socks"! It's the attack of Eddie Munster!

--The Lost Boys

nosbig5
2011-Jun-29, 08:58 PM
Redford was great in Sneakers.

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little ones and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!

Okay, boss, this LTX-71 concealable mike is part of the same system that NASA used when they faked the Apollo Moon landings. They had the astronauts broadcast around the world from a sound stage at Norton Air Force Base in San Bernadino, California. So it worked for them, shouldn't give us too many problems.

marsbug
2011-Jun-29, 09:29 PM
IMHO Picard vs the Borg produces some of the best trek quotes:

Picard: "I will resist you with my last ounce of strength!"

Borg hive: STRENGTH IS IRRELEVANT. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. WE WISH TO IMPROVE OURSELVES. WE WILL ADD YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TRECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR CULTURE WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE OURS.

Picard: "We would rather die!"

Borg hive: DEATH IS IRRELEVANT.

Or:

" We've made too many compromises, too many retreats: They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again, the line must be drawn here! And I will make them pay for what they've done!"

Rhaedas
2011-Jun-29, 09:39 PM
Admiral Matthew Dougherty: Jean-Luc, we're only moving 600 people.
Captain Picard: How many people does it take, Admiral, before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand, fifty thousand, a million? How many people does it take, Admiral?

Tobin Dax
2011-Jun-29, 11:18 PM
" We've made too many compromises, too many retreats: They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again, the line must be drawn here! And I will make them pay for what they've done!"

The line is more fun when Quark does his take on it. Especially when you realize that Ron Moore is, in the latter case, poking fun at himself by tweaking and reusing his own material.

Jim
2011-Jun-30, 12:32 AM
... WE WILL ADD YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TRECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. ...

Uh-huh. Interesting slip of the typing finger.

Delvo
2011-Jun-30, 03:20 AM
The best statement in Star Trek was made without any words, although it also set up a pretty good line from Dukat explaining it to Weyun, when they had just retaken the station and entered Sisko's otherwise empty office and found it. Weyun, not knowing Sisko as well or recognizing a baseball when he saw one, asked what the thing was, and Dukat answered while looking at the ball instead of at Weyun. "It's a message from Sisko to me: he's coming back."

Van Rijn
2011-Jun-30, 04:04 AM
"ROADS? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"

from Back to the Future.

Chuck
2011-Jun-30, 04:37 AM
Not sure about the exact wording, but in the 1960's on The Beverly Hillbillies, Jethro wants to enroll in a college to meet girls and a college administrator asks his uncle Jed: "How many years of education has Jethro had?"
Jed: "Eighteen."
Adminstrator: "Impressive."
Jed: "Yep, first through sixth grades, three times each."

captain swoop
2011-Jun-30, 11:56 AM
Are we running out of Movie quotes and slipping into TV?

Ok thread done for me.

nosbig5
2011-Jun-30, 12:29 PM
Had the kids at the library last night, saw this movie on the shelf and had to give it another watch.

"It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?"

"I was quit when I came in here. I'm twice as quit now."

"One more question. You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progress. The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters. The entree consists of boiled dog."

I flinched, guess I'm no skin job.

Strange
2011-Jun-30, 12:59 PM
Yes, some really good quotes from these movies. I think my favourite though was Newt's simple and earnest comment when told that the men protecting her & Ripley were soldiers:

"It won't make any difference."

Sends a shiver up my spine every time!

In a similar vein, from watchmen:
Rorschach: None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me.

Even bad movies can have good quotes:
Jordan Tate: So who are you? Are you, you, like, some special forces guy or something?
Casey Ryback: Nah. I'm just a cook.
(Under Siege, if you are lucky enough not to have seen it, it may be enough to say that Steven Seagal is the "cook")

Giles Prentice: I don't know what's scarier, losing nuclear weapons or that it happens so often there's actually a term for it.
(Broken Arrow)

Buttercup
2011-Jun-30, 01:19 PM
"Man, you sound like a comic book."

--The Game of Death (?) / Bruce Lee movie

mike alexander
2011-Jun-30, 04:02 PM
"Our arrows will blot out the sun!"

"Then we will fight n the shade."

Jim
2011-Jun-30, 04:23 PM

Ok thread done for me.

Elitist.

parallaxicality
2011-Jun-30, 05:34 PM
Camelot!

Camelot!

Camelot!

It's only a model...

Sh.

WHarris
2011-Jun-30, 06:39 PM
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
Scotty, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

WHarris
2011-Jun-30, 06:46 PM

Ok thread done for me.

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves." -- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes :)

Buttercup
2011-Jun-30, 07:20 PM
"Can't rain all the time."

"Victims; aren't we all?"

"Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children. Do you understand? Morphine is bad for you. Your daughter is out there on the streets waiting for you."

--Eric Draven / The Crow

"Great. A guy shows up looking like a mime from Hades and you lose him right out in the open. Well, at least he didn't do that walking against the wind {stuff}, I hate that."

Lead Cop: "What the {tarnation} do you call that?"'

"I call it blood, detective. I suppose you'll write it up as graffiti."

--Officer Albrecht / The Crow

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Jun-30, 07:23 PM
It's a trap

Strange
2011-Jun-30, 08:20 PM
There are lines that you don't realise the significance of when your first hear them:

From The Usual Suspects:
[someone] "What language is that"
Verbal: "Hungarian"

In Inside Man there is a scene where two of the bank robbers are looking at a hole in the floor; the dialogue goes something like:
A: "What have we got?"
B: "One large pipe and one small one."
A: "Excellent"

Swift
2011-Jun-30, 08:42 PM
"I'll have what she's having"

Harry Burns: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally Albright: Which one am I?
Harry Burns: You're the worst kind; you're high maintenance but you think you're low maintenance.

When Harry Met Sally

Swift
2011-Jun-30, 08:43 PM
<smack> "Snap out of it!" Moonstruck

marsbug
2011-Jun-30, 08:56 PM
Uh-huh. Interesting slip of the typing finger.

Was a genuine slip but I left it on purpose. Trechnology is so mush prettier and easier than its real world counterpart.

The line is more fun when Quark does his take on it. Especially when you realize that Ron Moore is, in the latter case, poking fun at himself by tweaking and reusing his own material.

I didn't know about that one, any chance you know where a clip could be interneted?

Alfred the butler in Dark Knight: " Some men don't want anything rational. They can't be bought, bullied, or reasoned with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Van Rijn
2011-Jun-30, 09:29 PM
"I know engineers, they love to change things!"

Bones, ST I

danscope
2011-Jul-01, 02:59 AM
" You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big.
Norma Desmond: I *am* big. It's the *pictures* that got small ! "

Gotta love film .

eburacum45
2011-Jul-01, 06:35 AM
(corrected version)
Cleopatra (holding poisonous asp): One bite from this is enough!
Mark Anthony (bite's snake's head off): You're right- one bite is enough for anyone - it's shocking!!

Julius Caesar: Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me!
Carry on Cleo

Tobin Dax
2011-Jul-01, 07:35 AM
A comment in another thread reminded of this quote from The Muppet Movie that a college roommate and I probably enjoyed too much.

[as Fozzie is driving, with Kermit in the passenger seat]
Kermit: "Bear left."
Fozzie: "Right, frog."

danscope
2011-Jul-01, 02:36 PM
" LIFE !!!! Do you hear me ??? Give my creation......LIFE !!!!! "

and,,,

" Igor , ....would you sit down over here , please ? "

and.....

" The people get anxious ven der is an ' Frankenstein in the castle ' !!! Meow !!

Delvo
2011-Jul-01, 02:39 PM
Fozzie: "Right, frog."Was that at the "fork in the road"?

WHarris
2011-Jul-01, 05:23 PM
"What does God need with a starship?" - Kirk. "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"

Good line in a very bad movie.

Tobin Dax
2011-Jul-02, 10:11 PM
Was that at the "fork in the road"?

Right around there. It's been quite a while since I've seen that movie.

Solfe
2011-Jul-03, 02:49 AM
Judge: "What is a yute?"
Vinny: "Oh, excuse me, your honor... the two YOUTHS"

Vinny Gambini: Your Honor, may I have permission to treat Ms. Vito as a hostile witness?
Mona Lisa Vito: You think I'm hostile now, wait 'til you see me tonight.

Swift
2011-Jul-03, 04:12 AM
"Food Fight!"

"Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Toga, toga..."

Animal House

danscope
2011-Jul-08, 04:23 AM
And perhaps my favourite ending for a favourite film :
"Perseus has won . "
My Son– …has triumphed.
– - A fortunate young man. – Fortune is ally to the brave.
– What a dangerous precedent.
– What if there are more heroes like him?
– What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities?
– We would no longer be needed.
– But for now, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth…
– …and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
– I forbid any revenge against Perseus.
– He has done well.
– He will be rewarded.
– This will make a fine heroic poem, you know.
– Or perhaps a play.
– Oh, don’t worry. I won’t leave you out.
– Perseus and Andromeda will be happy together.
– Have fine sons…
– … rule wisely…
– … and to perpetuate his legend…
– … I command that from henceforth…
– … he will be set among the stars and constellations.
– He, Perseus, the lovely Andromeda…
– … the noble Pegasus and even the vain Cassiopeia.
– Let the stars be named after them forever.
– As long as man shall walk the Earth and search the night sky in wonder…
– … they will remember the courage of Perseus…
– … forever.
– Even if we, the gods, are abandoned or forgotten…
– … the stars will never fade.
– Never.
– They will burn till the end of time.

And when I view the night sky , how often shall I think of these great words as I delight in the stars , and the
legends which inspired them . A treasure for all that enjoy the night sky.
Good viewing,
Dan

danscope
2011-Jul-09, 04:52 PM
Obi-Wan: " Mos Eisley spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious " .

swampyankee
2011-Jul-09, 05:02 PM
From The African Queen:

Charlie: We can't do that!
Rose: How do you know? You never tried it.
Charlie: Well, yeah, but I never tried shooting myself in the head neither.

danscope
2011-Jul-10, 04:14 AM
" No.... it wasn't the planes that got him. It was beauty that got the beast . "

Swift
2011-Jul-10, 02:54 PM
" No.... it wasn't the planes that got him. It was beauty that got the beast . "
That is a great line, but I always like to add "... well, beauty, and slamming into the ground after a 1000 foot fall." :D

danscope
2011-Jul-10, 05:13 PM
LOL !!!! Guess he got the "gravity of the situation " . :)

danscope
2011-Jul-10, 05:18 PM
I think this one said a lot about WW2 and the 8th airforce (my father -in-law's outfit, sperry ball gun turret ).

Major Harvey Stovall: "That is not why I am drunk tonight. I got drunk because I am confused. I was thinking, which is a thing a man should not do, and all at once I couldn't remember what any of them looked like. I, I couldn't see their faces, Bishop, Cobb, Wilson, Zimmy, all of them. All of you. They all looked alike, just one face. And it was very young. It confused me. I think I shall stay drunk until I'm not confused anymore. "
Always remember that life is precious.

Dan

vonmazur
2011-Jul-11, 02:03 AM
I think this one said a lot about WW2 and the 8th airforce (my father -in-law's outfit, sperry ball gun turret ).

Major Harvey Stovall: "That is not why I am drunk tonight. I got drunk because I am confused. I was thinking, which is a thing a man should not do, and all at once I couldn't remember what any of them looked like. I, I couldn't see their faces, Bishop, Cobb, Wilson, Zimmy, all of them. All of you. They all looked alike, just one face. And it was very young. It confused me. I think I shall stay drunk until I'm not confused anymore. "
Always remember that life is precious.

Dan

Dan: That is my very favorite movie. I think this is the best anti-war movie ever made, and I have been in a war, twice!! Actually Harvey Stovall's best line was the one about the trials, "They never hang the Lawyer..."

BTW: Have you noticed the amazing resemblance between a Sperry Ball Turret and Darth Vader's fighter??

Thanks for posting this!!

Dale

novaderrik
2011-Jul-11, 02:36 AM
every line from Blazing Saddles is my favorite movie quote.

danscope
2011-Jul-11, 02:38 AM
Hi, And yes.... the ball turret lived on in Star Wars. My Father-in-law told me some hair raising stories about life in a B-17-C to Schweinfurt and regansburg . They were happy to get some " Little Friends " .

Best regards,
Dan

Parrothead
2011-Jul-16, 03:08 PM
A couple of my favourites from the movie Ronin:

Spence: "You ever kill anybody?"

Sam: "I hurt somebody's feelings once."
---------------------------------------

Spence: "We were taught to hold out indefinately." (discussing interrogation)

Sam: "Nobody can."

Spence: "Is that so?"

Sam: "Yeah, everybody has a limit. I spent some time in interrogation .... once."

Larry: "They make it hard?"

Sam: "They don't make it easy. Yeah it was unpleasant. I held out as long as I could. All the stuff they tried. You just can't hold out forever. Impossible."

Larry: "How'd they get you?"

Sam: "They gave me a grasshopper."

Larry: "What's a grasshopper?"

Sam: "Let's see. That's two part gin, two part brandy, one part creme de menthe and ..."

Spence: "Smart-***"

Cougar
2011-Jul-16, 03:26 PM
"He will know your ways."

I figure this crowd will know the movie....

Rift
2011-Jul-16, 03:29 PM
"A person is smart. People are stupid." Men in Black

swampyankee
2011-Jul-16, 05:03 PM
Hi, And yes.... the ball turret lived on in Star Wars. My Father-in-law told me some hair raising stories about life in a B-17-C to Schweinfurt and regansburg . They were happy to get some " Little Friends " .

Best regards,
Dan

One of my uncles flew with the Carpetbaggers (http://www.492ndbombgroup.com/cgi-bin/pagepilot.cgi?page=492home). They took off the ball turrets, as the fighters couldn't approach from below, and it reduced their clearance when flying over trees and steeples. My father and all my uncles who are ww2 veterans are gone, although I have two uncles who were too young for ww2 who are still alive.

From what I've heard, it was really, really unsafe to be a ball turret gunner. It was also really, really unsafe to be flying bombing missions before fighter escorts. I saw a statistic that USAAF and RAF strategic bombing groups had higher casualty rates than kamikaze squadrons.

TJMac
2011-Jul-16, 05:06 PM
We use this one a lot at work, mainly, well, actually always after someone has cut themselves, or done something that hurts.

"Pain don't hurt." Roadhouse

Additionally, from the ever famous Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, "Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K", gets used quite a bit whenever something odd happens.

TJ

swampyankee
2011-Jul-16, 08:54 PM
From The Longest Day:

Lt. Col. Ocker: [Pluskat, inside a bunker, has just realized the Normandy invasion has begun and is warning Ocker, who is skeptical] And just where, my dear Pluskat, are those ships?
Maj. Werner Pluskat: Straight for me!

vonmazur
2011-Jul-17, 03:32 AM

Best regards,
Dan

Dan: That would have been a B-17F model, the C model was long gone when they raided Schweinfurt and Regensburg. IIRC, all of the bombers on that raid were F models, but I could be wrong...

Dale

danscope
2011-Jul-17, 04:20 AM
He was in a C model earlier, got shot up, pilot blinded, co-pilot injured, bombadier killed . He had just a little time in the seat, but he brought it back. Next one was probably an F. Called " Never at it so good " .
He was a great man.
Best regards,
Dan

Noclevername
2011-Jul-22, 09:50 AM
"Khaaaaaan!"

jlhredshift
2011-Jul-22, 10:40 AM
My vote is for:

"Greetings Starfighter"

captain swoop
2011-Jul-22, 12:03 PM
They took off the ball turrets, as the fighters couldn't approach from below, and it reduced their clearance when flying over trees and steeples. .

Your Uncle in the Carpetbaggers was in the 492nd Bomb Group, they flew in B-24 Liberators which had a retractable ball turret that was drawn up into the fuselage when it wasn't in use otherwise it would have fouled the runway because of the low ground clearance of the B-24. They didn't need to take them off.

Fighters did approach from below, a dive through the formation then a pull up under the aircraft was a fave method of attack. German Night Fighters had upward facing Schrage Musik cannon in the fuselage they would always attack RAF bombers from below as they had no belly turrets and were blind from below.

Sorry Getting Off topic. Maybe we should start something in OTB

jokergirl
2011-Jul-22, 12:31 PM
A comment in another thread reminded of this quote from The Muppet Movie that a college roommate and I probably enjoyed too much.

Fozzie: "Right, frog."

That just reminds me of my TomTom.
(which says it in a Dalek voice, by the way...)

;)

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-23, 03:30 PM

Dale
Common misquote BTW.
The real one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdZKCh6RsU) is: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!!"

Romanus
2011-Jul-23, 11:15 PM
El Guapo: "Many piñatas?"
Jefe: "Yes, many!"
El Guapo: "Would you say I have a 'plethora' of piñatas?"
Jefe: "A what?"
El Guapo: "A plethora."
Jefe: "Oh, yes--you have a plethora!"
El Guapo: "Jefe, what is a plethora?"
Jefe: "Why, El Guapo?"
El Guapo: "You told *me* I have a plethora; I want to know if *you* know what a plethora *is*. I would *not* want someone telling me I have a 'plethora', when he has *no* idea what it means to have a 'plethora'!"

:D

Delvo
2011-Jul-24, 02:08 AM
Since we seem to be into this thing of using quotes that really need an explanation and not giving the explanation...

"No. He won't even know your name." (Pan's Labyrinth)

starcanuck64
2011-Jul-25, 05:09 PM
Groucho Marx:
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"

Graybeard6
2011-Jul-25, 08:40 PM
"He left River City the library building, but he left all the books to her!"
(The Music Man)

vonmazur
2011-Aug-03, 06:24 AM
Common misquote BTW.
The real one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdZKCh6RsU) is: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!!"

Alfonso Bedoya, as Gold Hat, the Bandito leader...You are correct, just that it is often mis-quoted, just like "Play it again, Sam..."

Dale

danscope
2011-Aug-03, 08:50 PM
Howard: Say, answer me this one, will you? Why is gold worth some twenty bucks an ounce?
Flophouse Bum: I don't know. Because it's scarce.
Howard: A thousand men, say, go searchin' for gold. After six months, one of them's lucky: one out of a thousand. His find represents not only his own labor, but that of nine hundred and ninety-nine others to boot. That's six thousand months, five hundred years, scramblin' over a mountain, goin' hungry and thirsty. An ounce of gold, mister, is worth what it is because of the human labor that went into the findin' and the gettin' of it.
Flophouse Bum: I never thought of it just like that.
Howard: Well, there's no other explanation, mister. Gold itself ain't good for nothing except making jewelry with and gold teeth.
From " Treasure of the Sierra Madre " .

Strange
2011-Aug-03, 08:58 PM
Why don’t you come up sometime ‘n see me?

Solfe
2011-Aug-11, 04:04 AM
Almost every line by Oddball and Crapgame say in Kelly's Heroes:

Oddball: Arf arf arf... That's my other dog impression.

Crapgame: [into field phone] Hogan? Yeah, it's me. Listen... I gotta favor to ask ya. Will you quit cryin... I haven't even asked ya yet!

Oddball: To a New Yorker like you, a Hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on 3 Tigers.

Chaos
2011-Aug-13, 12:09 PM
"Me, I´m dishonest. And a dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it´s the honest ones you´ve got to watch, because you´ll never know when they´re going to do something incredibly stupid..."
- Captain Jack Sparrow

"You´re off the edge of the map, Jack. Here there be monsters!"
- Captain Barbossa

"Whose side is Jack on?"
"You mean, right now?"
- Will and Elizabeth

"They leave no survivors? Then who is telling all those stories about them?"
- Captain Jack Sparrow

"We´re all men of our word here... except for Elizabeth, who is in fact a woman."
- Captain Jack Sparrow

"In a fair fight, I would have killed you."
"Now, that´s not a lot of incentive for me to fight fair, is it?"
- Will and Captain Jack Sparrow

All from Pirates of the Caribbean

mike alexander
2011-Aug-13, 11:59 PM
"Are you the police?"

"No, Ma'am. We're musicians."

DonM435
2011-Aug-14, 03:31 AM
HYPNOTIST: There's no man of woman born that I can't put under!

DR. FRANKENSTEIN*: Then this should be really interesting.

-- *Peter Cushing in The Evil of Frankenstein

parallaxicality
2011-Aug-14, 07:41 AM
King of New York: Christopher Walken at his most bone chilling:

Walken, ice cold: "Guys... How come you never came to see me?"

Underling, after an awkward pause: "Wh... who wants to see you in a cage, man?"

jamesabrown
2011-Aug-15, 01:49 PM
Whenever my son and I hear the name 'Keith,' no matter the context, we quote this to each other:

<Sarcastic voice>"Oooh . . . Watch out for Keith!"

(From Hoodwinked.)

Strider1974
2011-Aug-17, 10:20 AM
He's not the messiah.....he's just a really naughty boy
The Life of Brian

and

And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint.
The meaning of Life

peteshimmon
2011-Aug-17, 11:34 AM
What has just become interesting to me.
The second James Bond film has a Boeing
707 touching down. Chap in the control
tower on the phone;

"Calling London..your flight has just arrived."
or something similar.

Same words as in the first Bond film. Same
bit of film as well I think!

Ahh..life was so simple 50 years ago.

swampyankee
2011-Aug-17, 12:14 PM
This was in Goldfinger.

Bond: You expect me to talk? strapped to slab with powerful laser heading towards his crotch
Goldfinger: No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die. with small, psychotic giggle

Of course, I never figured out why he Goldfinger didn't just point the laser at Bond's head or simply kill him instead of tying him up.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Aug-17, 01:20 PM
Of course, I never figured out why he Goldfinger didn't just point the laser at Bond's head or simply kill him instead of tying him up.
Because he hadn't read the Evil Overlord List (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html).

swampyankee
2011-Aug-17, 01:46 PM
Because he hadn't read the Evil Overlord List (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html).

Oh, right. Something about mandatory use of Monologuing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilGloating?from=Main.Monologuing) must be part of the Evil Overlord mutation.

danscope
2011-Aug-17, 04:41 PM
"I have to sink this to halve the game, right?
- You win, Goldfinger. - It seems I'm too good for you!
You play a Slazenger don't you?
- Yes, why? - This is a Slazenger .
Here's my Penfold Hearts.
You must have played the wrong ball on the the fairway.
We are playing strict rules, so
I'm afraid you lose the hole and the match. "

A polite exchange between James Bond and Auric Goldfinger on the golf course .

captain swoop
2011-Aug-18, 01:00 PM
"I have to sink this to halve the game, right?
- You win, Goldfinger. - It seems I'm too good for you!
You play a Slazenger don't you?
- Yes, why? - This is a Slazenger .
Here's my Penfold Hearts.
You must have played the wrong ball on the the fairway.
We are playing strict rules, so
I'm afraid you lose the hole and the match. "

A polite exchange between James Bond and Auric Goldfinger on the golf course .

After bond had 'counter cheated' and snaffled Goldfingers 'extra' ball.

Bill Clark
2011-Aug-18, 01:22 PM
Curly:

"I tried thinkin' once but nothin' happened!"

SeanF
2011-Aug-18, 02:24 PM
After bond had 'counter cheated' and snaffled Goldfingers 'extra' ball.
"If that's his original ball, I'm Arnold Palmer."

"It isn't."

"How do you know?"

"I'm standing on it."

:D

Eta C
2011-Aug-21, 11:09 PM
Groucho Marx:
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"

Not strictly from a movie, but a quote from Groucho in an introduction to a collection of Marx Brother's quotes.

"I'm often asked how I feel about nudity in the theater. Well, in the theater, or anywhere else for that matter, I love to feel about nudity."

WHarris
2011-Aug-22, 04:25 PM
Oh, right. Something about mandatory use of Monologuing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilGloating?from=Main.Monologuing) must be part of the Evil Overlord mutation.

"You sly dog! You got me monologuing!" -- Syndrome, "The Incredibles"

HenrikOlsen
2011-Aug-22, 05:19 PM
If only they'd learn to soliloquize instead.

Solfe
2011-Aug-22, 08:47 PM
Defending Your Life has some really great quotes -

Shirley MacLaine: Welcome to the Past Lives Pavilion.

Bob Diamond: For example, I use forty-eight percent of my brain. Do you know how much you use?
Daniel Miller: Forty... seven?
Bob Diamond: [laughs] Three

Bob Diamond: Being from Earth, as you are, and using as little of your brain as you do, your life has pretty much been devoted to dealing with fear.
Daniel Miller: It has?
Bob Diamond: Well everybody on Earth deals with fear - that's what little brains do.
Bob Diamond: ...Fear is like a giant fog. It sits on your brain and blocks everything - real feelings, true happiness, real joy. They can't get through that fog. But you lift it, and buddy, you're in for the ride of your life.
Daniel Miller: God... my three percent is swimming.

Lord Jubjub
2011-Aug-23, 04:58 PM
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Oh no, don't do that, don't do that. If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad.

danscope
2011-Aug-23, 06:05 PM
" Is Bismark a herwing ? "

WHarris
2011-Aug-25, 02:16 PM
"No, Communism was a red herring." - Clue

starcanuck64
2011-Aug-25, 05:37 PM
"I swallowed a bug"- River Tamm in Serenity after a harrowing hovercraft chase.

danscope
2011-Aug-27, 06:47 PM
" Allow me to introduce myself; ......Wile E. Coyote , 'Super-genius' ! "

peteshimmon
2011-Sep-02, 09:26 AM
Highly irregular I know but my blood was up!

Dial M for Murder, Alfred Hitchcock.

Whirlpool
2011-Sep-11, 06:48 PM
"With Power comes Great Responsibility" - Peter Parker- Spiderman

<did I say it that right?> :doh:

HenrikOlsen
2011-Sep-11, 06:54 PM
"With great power comes great responsibility":)

danscope
2011-Sep-13, 05:12 AM
" Mr. Christian , stir your scum ! "

from a film ...... " Mutiny on the Bounty "

starcanuck64
2011-Sep-13, 05:00 PM
"If you can eat this piece of cheese without farting you can sleep with my sister"- Sheldon to Leonard on the Big Bang Theory

stutefish
2011-Sep-14, 02:29 AM
Joe Sarno: So, you the brains of this outfit, or is he?
Longbaugh: Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation.

Way of the Gun

WHarris
2011-Sep-14, 05:32 PM
"He's the brains, sweetheart!" -- Han Solo, "Star Wars"

emmylou
2011-Sep-14, 05:43 PM
"Mavrick you big stud take me to bed or lose me forever" Charlie to Mavrick in Top Gun

Buttercup
2011-Sep-14, 06:12 PM
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there?...Yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
The Bride: Trix are...
O-Ren Ishii: ...for kids.

--Kill Bill Vol. 1

parallaxicality
2011-Sep-15, 08:00 AM
Otto: Now. Apologise.
Archie:Are you totally deranged?
Otto: You... pompous, stuck up, snot-nosed, English, giant, twerp scumbag [language]!
Archie: How very interesting. You're a true vulgarian aren't you?
Otto: YOU'RE the vulgarian you [language]! Now apologise!
Archie: Wait, me to you?
Otto: [slow smile] ... Apologise.
Archie [dangling from a window]: Alright, alright I apologise.
Otto: You're really sorry?
Archie: I'm really, truly sorry. I apologise unreservedly.
Otto: You take it back?
Archie: I do. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.
Otto: ... OK.

A Fish Called Wanda

ggremlin
2011-Sep-15, 11:06 AM
Snaps: I'm used to dealing with mobsters and bootleggers and gunsles but you bankers, scary.

Oscar, the one good Stallone comedy

Jim
2011-Sep-15, 04:28 PM
Oscar, the one good Stallone comedy

I dunno, I thought Rambo was pretty funny.

parallaxicality
2011-Sep-15, 05:33 PM
Ray [looking at Gozer]: It's a girl...
Winston: I thought Gozer was a man.
Egon: It's whatever it wants to be.
Peter: Well, whatever it is, it's gotta get by us!
Ray: Right!
Peter: Go get her, Ray!
Ray: [approaches Gozer] Gozer the Gozerian? Good evening. As a duly-designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the next convenient parallel dimension.
Peter: That oughtta do it. Thanks very much, Ray.
Gozer: ARE YOU A GOD?!!!
Ray: [looks at the others, who all nod] No...
Gozer: THEN...DIIIIIIIIE! [sends the Ghostbusters sprawling with lightning bolts]
Winston: Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "Yes!"
Peter: All right! This chick is toast!

Ghostbusters

Chaos
2011-Sep-16, 10:44 AM
Ben: "Sorry for dropping you. I had to save the Declaration."
Abigail: "No, it´s okay. I would have done the same for you."
Riley: "I would have dropped you both - freaks!"

Riley: "Right... who goes down the creepy underground tunnel first?"

Riley: "There´s twenty million books in this library, and they all say the same thing: ´Listen to Riley´."

National Treasure

Cycle
2011-Sep-19, 03:26 PM
From the film "It Came From Outer Space"

Sheriff Matt Warren - "Did you know, Putnam, more people are murdered at ninety-two degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once - lower temperatures, people are easy-going. Over ninety two, it's too hot to move. But just ninety-two, people get irritable. "

Noclevername
2011-Oct-04, 01:38 AM
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

AndreH
2011-Oct-21, 10:58 PM
A White Russian, no Vodka, no creme de coco, no ice.

obviously this is the correct version: White Russian, no ice, no vodka... hold the KahluaCatwoman

The problem when re-transöating movie quotes from German versions of Americanfilms

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-24, 04:48 PM
"Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines" Sung in a very sarcastic tone as the squad in Stripes marches back to barracks at sunset.

Swift
2011-Oct-24, 05:23 PM
How could I have forgotten the sexist line ever in a movie...

Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.
- To Have and Have Not

And almost as good...

[Slim kisses Steve]
Steve: What did you do that for?
Slim: I've been wondering if I'd like it.
Steve: What's the decision?
Slim: I don't know yet.
[They kiss again]
Slim: It's even better when you help.

ToSeek
2011-Oct-25, 02:24 PM
How could I have forgotten the sexist line ever in a movie...

Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.
- To Have and Have Not

And almost as good...

[Slim kisses Steve]
Steve: What did you do that for?
Slim: I've been wondering if I'd like it.
Steve: What's the decision?
Slim: I don't know yet.
[They kiss again]
Slim: It's even better when you help.

The amazing thing is that Bacall was 19 at the time, and this was her first movie role ever. Part of what makes it so sexy is the way she held herself, which she didn't do for that reason but because otherwise she would have been visibly shaking.

Swift
2011-Oct-25, 03:14 PM
The amazing thing is that Bacall was 19 at the time, and this was her first movie role ever. Part of what makes it so sexy is the way she held herself, which she didn't do for that reason but because otherwise she would have been visibly shaking.
Yes and yes. Not to mention the facts that (1) she was absolutely knock dead gorgeous and (2) the text version does not do either scene justice. You have to see both scenes, not only the way she held herself, but her smoky voice, her look, her whole attitude. I suspect one can find both scenes on Youtube, but I can't search at work.

Bogarts reaction to her after her "You just put your lips together and... blow" is great too.

jamesabrown
2011-Oct-26, 02:22 PM
The entire scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Ay727EYzw.

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-26, 05:01 PM
"Fleshy-headed mutant, are you friendly?"- Doug McKenzie Strange Brew

HenrikOlsen
2011-Oct-27, 12:04 AM
Yes and yes. Not to mention the facts that (1) she was absolutely knock dead gorgeous and (2) the text version does not do either scene justice. You have to see both scenes, not only the way she held herself, but her smoky voice, her look, her whole attitude. I suspect one can find both scenes on Youtube, but I can't search at work.

Bogarts reaction to her after her "You just put your lips together and... blow" is great too.
Same scene, different parts of it.

The entire scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Ay727EYzw.
And yes, knock/drop dead gorgeous. And she kept that well into her fifties and later as well.

There aren't many actresses to count as hot after fifty, but she's one of them.

jokergirl
2011-Oct-29, 07:50 AM
"Hey guys, there's a red... thingy moving towards the green... thingy."
"What?"
"Red... thingy moving towards the green... thingy. I think we're the green thingy!"

I have taken to quoting that at work, not sure why...

;)

Noclevername
2011-Oct-29, 03:08 PM
"The use of excessive force in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers... has been approved."

Buttercup
2011-Oct-29, 05:39 PM
Scars: I need a woman.
Ellen: You need a bath.

Scars: You're purty.
Ellen: You're not.

--The Quick and The Dead 1995

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-18, 12:16 AM
Luke: Vader's on that ship.
Han Solo: Now don't get jittery, Luke. There are a lot of command ships. Keep your distance, though, Chewie, but don't *look* like you're trying to keeping your distance.
[Chewie barks a question]
Han Solo: *I* don't know. Fly casual.

Roy Batty: Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here.

peteshimmon
2012-Sep-18, 04:02 PM
How's the boy doing?

He saved his life!

Tommy Lee Jones expression and blinking
shows a verrrry slight fluster in Gerrard
at this point.

Thank you...

The Fugitive.

mike alexander
2012-Sep-18, 05:13 PM
Carry on Cleo

Swift
2012-Sep-18, 05:36 PM
I saw The Big Chill the other day, after not seeing for many years. I went through a period where I was crazy about the movie; I still really like it, and think it has held up pretty well.

A line I've used myself:
[Michael enters the kitchen, sees Sarah standing in front of the open refrigerator]
Michael: You know, that's the problem with these things. You have to watch them every minute.

One scene I always found very funny had Nick up very late watching some old movie on TV. Sam comes in and asks what the movie is about. Nick says "I think the guy in the hat did something terrible" and they show the shot of the movie and there are like 20 guys on the screen, all wearing hats.

And then, in a scene I can't explain on CQ, there is Meg's line "I feel like I just got a great deal on a used car".

There are a whole bunch of really poignant lines too:

Chloe: I don't know. We had some good times. I haven't met that many happy people in my life, how do they act?

Michael: Amazing tradition. They throw a great party for you on the one day they know you can't come.

Meg: It's a cold world out there. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting a little frosty myself.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-18, 05:53 PM
I'm a big fan of As Good As It Get's;

Carol Connelly: Come on in, and try not to ruin everything by being you.
Melvin Udall: Maybe we could live *without* the wisecracks.
Carol Connelly: Maybe we could.

Melvin Udall: I've got a really great compliment for you, and it's true.
Carol Connelly: I'm so afraid you're about to say something awful.
Melvin Udall: Don't be pessimistic, it's not your style. Okay, here I go: Clearly, a mistake. I've got this, what - ailment? My doctor, a shrink that I used to go to all the time, he says that in fifty or sixty percent of the cases, a pill really helps. I *hate* pills, very dangerous thing, pills. Hate. I'm using the word "hate" here, about pills. Hate. My compliment is, that night when you came over and told me that you would never... all right, well, you were there, you know what you said. Well, my compliment to you is, the next morning, I started taking the pills.
Carol Connelly: I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.
Melvin Udall: You make me want to be a better man.
Carol Connelly: ...That's maybe the best compliment of my life.
Melvin Udall: Well, maybe I overshot a little, because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out.

Carol Connelly: When you first entered the restaurant, I thought you were handsome... and then, of course, you spoke.

Noclevername
2012-Sep-18, 05:57 PM
"I'd sooner kiss a Wookiee!"
"I can arrange that!"

captain swoop
2012-Sep-18, 08:16 PM
Carry on Cleo

From the same film 'Infamy Infamy, they've all got it in for me'

captain swoop
2012-Sep-18, 08:21 PM
May his wisdom bring success in all your undertakings.
And in yours.
And may his radiance light up your life.
And up yours.

I've never ridden in a cart pulled by cows before.
Bullocks, Mr Belcher!
No, I haven't, honestly

Carry on up the Khyber

captain swoop
2012-Sep-18, 08:35 PM
lol good old auto censor

swampyankee
2012-Sep-19, 11:06 AM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

While chased by a large and aggressive posse, they're hiding on a ledge on a cliff above a river.

Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.

Loved that movie. Of course, Redford and Newman did very little wrong on film.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-19, 04:53 PM
From Mystery Men

[Mr. Furious, the Blue Raja, and the Shoveller are sneaking across Frankenstein's property to undertake some reconnaissance]
Mr. Furious: Shh! Wait! Hear that? We must have hit a trip-wire. It could be a proton eviscerator heating up.
The Shoveller: It could be a cybernetic atom scrambler. They target moving objects.
The Blue Raja: It sounds more like a heat-seeking anthrax projection gun to me. Quickly, cover your mouths.
Mr. Furious: No, let's bolt! Come on!
The Shoveller: No! Don't move.
The Blue Raja: Don't breathe!
Mr. Furious: Let's bolt!
The Shoveller: Don't move!
The Blue Raja: Don't breathe!
Mr. Furious: Let's bolt!
The Shoveller: Don't move!
[a sprinkler system turns on and the three are soaked]
The Shoveller: [disgustedly] Ohh, it's the sprinkler.

Mr. Furious tries to balance a hammer on his head]
Mr. Furious: Why am I doing this, again?
The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
Mr. Furious: And why am I wearing the watermelon on my feet?
The Sphinx: [looks at the watermelon on Mr. Furious' feet] I don't remember telling you to do that.

PlutonianEmpire
2012-Sep-20, 02:50 AM
I'm too lazy to read the thread and I don't care if it's been posted before. :p

My first favorite quote: "We've never lost an American in space, and we're sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option!" ~ Gene Kranz, Apollo 13

Second: "No Elvis is not dead, he just went home." ~ Agent K, Men In Black

I really, really, REALLY wanted to say that second one about Armstrong when he passed away, but felt it to be too insensitive. :o

Jim
2012-Sep-20, 02:58 AM
I dunno... It's funny about Elvis, but very poetic about Neil.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-21, 08:53 AM
Nothing? Nothing? NOTHING? Nothing, tra la la?

That's not fair!
You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is?

You have to understand my position. I'm a coward. And Jareth scares me.
What kind of a position is that?
No position! That's my point.

Gillianren
2012-Sep-21, 05:48 PM
Mr. Furious tries to balance a hammer on his head]
Mr. Furious: Why am I doing this, again?
The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
Mr. Furious: And why am I wearing the watermelon on my feet?
The Sphinx: [looks at the watermelon on Mr. Furious' feet] I don't remember telling you to do that.

This is one of my all-time favourites. I read a column called (at the time this particular one was written) My Year of Flops, and he did Mystery Men some time ago. (One of the reasons for the name change is that the column is still going after like four years.) In the comments, a bunch of people all said they thought he was wrong and that it was a terrible movie . . . except for "this one line." Naturally, all the exceptions were different lines.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-21, 06:54 PM
This is one of my all-time favourites. I read a column called (at the time this particular one was written) My Year of Flops, and he did Mystery Men some time ago. (One of the reasons for the name change is that the column is still going after like four years.) In the comments, a bunch of people all said they thought he was wrong and that it was a terrible movie . . . except for "this one line." Naturally, all the exceptions were different lines.

It's a silly story done seriously...or maybe the other way around...and that can be difficult to pull off. Ben Stiller has kind of worn thin for me, but I can still enjoy him in this movie.

danscope
2012-Sep-21, 09:46 PM
" Dat your purse? "

answer: "Yes" .

" Dat's a nice purse " . From " Trading Places "

captain swoop
2012-Sep-22, 10:40 AM
"Prepare the virgin"? I don't like the sound of that.
Let's just hope they're not referring to you.

Now let me tell you something, Streebeck. There are two things that clearly differentiate the human species from animals. One, we use cutlery. Two, we're capable of controlling our sexual urges. Now, you might be an exception, but don't drag me down into your private Hell.

Basically, it burns the eyes, lungs and throat, causes vomiting and if continuously inhaled, death.
Oh, sort of like your aftershave.

Vitamin D, calcium, essential for good strong bones and healthy teeth. But that's all Greek to you, isn't it, Mr. Gingivitis?

parallaxicality
2012-Sep-22, 08:15 PM
So, Emo, I guess it's just you, and me... your [-]... and this drawer.

Gillianren
2012-Sep-23, 04:54 AM
I was rewatching that movie the other day, and three things struck me. First, the scene where Joe and Pep go looking for a working pay phone in Los Angeles. (That park where they're sorting Emil Muntz's garbage is MacArthur Park!) Second, the fact that there's a scene in downtown Los Angeles where the smog is so thick you can't make out any details past a couple of blocks--the air in LA may not exactly be good now, but it's much better. Third, premium gas is seventy-five cents a gallon.

parallaxicality
2012-Sep-23, 08:12 AM

I'll check his pulse...

I was rewatching that movie the other day, and three things struck me. First, the scene where Joe and Pep go looking for a working pay phone in Los Angeles. (That park where they're sorting Emil Muntz's garbage is MacArthur Park!) Second, the fact that there's a scene in downtown Los Angeles where the smog is so thick you can't make out any details past a couple of blocks--the air in LA may not exactly be good now, but it's much better. Third, premium gas is seventy-five cents a gallon.

"You know the kinds of things that can fall into an industrial sausage press? Not excluding rodent hairs and... bug excrement?"

"I hate you Streebeck".

That movie is an odd one, because it is not, by any stretch, good, yet it stays in the memory, kinda like Spaceballs

captain swoop
2012-Sep-23, 12:05 PM
I'll check his pulse...

"You know the kinds of things that cancan fall into an industrial sausage press? Not excluding rodent hairs and... bug excrement?"

"I hate you Streebeck".

That movie is an odd one, because it is not, by any stretch, good, yet it stays in the memory, kinda like Spaceballs

It has a good cast and some good one liners.

Doodler
2012-Sep-23, 02:32 PM
Best line from "As Good As It Gets".

Nicholson's character on how he writes women so well: "I just think of a man, and I take away reason, and accountability."

Gillianren
2012-Sep-23, 04:38 PM
It has a good cast and some good one liners.

I'm not sure I'd entirely agree that Dragnet has a good cast. It has Tom Hanks and Harry Morgan, and Dan Aykroyd isn't bad, but most of the cast is either nonentities or actively disagreeable. They just make it work.

Best line from "As Good As It Gets".

Nicholson's character on how he writes women so well: "I just think of a man, and I take away reason, and accountability."

Also, I really hate that line.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-23, 07:05 PM
Dan Aykroyd

Enough for me.

Two of my fave films Ghostbusters and Blues Brothers.

SkepticJ
2012-Sep-23, 08:04 PM
"If you'll notice the arterial nature of the blood coming from the hole in my head, you can assume that we're all having a real lousy day."

Deacon in Waterworld has a lot of great lines.

It's a shame Costner can't act his way out of a wet paper bag, and tried to play the movie straight. Dennis Hopper obviously had a lot of fun.

Swift
2012-Sep-23, 10:55 PM
Two of my fave films Ghostbusters and Blues Brothers.

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western.

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

And of course....
Elwood: We're on a mission from God.

schlaugh
2012-Sep-23, 11:38 PM
One of my favorites from The Big Chill:

Michael: I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.
Sam Weber: Ah, come on. Nothing's more important than sex.
Michael: Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?

iquestor
2012-Sep-24, 12:15 AM
The Fugitive:

After a long chase, at the end of a drainpipe, giant waterfall, long drop:
Harrison Ford: I Didn't Kill My Wife!
Tommy Lee Jones: I Don't Care.

Noclevername
2012-Sep-24, 12:22 AM
Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western.

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

And of course....
Elwood: We're on a mission from God.

Nazi to leader: ...I've always loved you.

Dispatcher: The use of excessive force in the apprehension of the Blues brothers, has been approved.

Swift
2012-Sep-24, 03:53 AM
Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: [chuckles] That's not a knife.
[he pulls out a large bowie knife]
Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: THAT's a knife.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-24, 07:14 AM
Oh, yeah - - I remember television from way back. I saw it at a buddy's house one time.
turns on the set and sees an "oldies re-run" of an "I Love Lucy" show pop up on the screen Yup - - that's what I saw.

mike alexander
2012-Sep-24, 01:55 PM
"Get out. Get out of my house!"

NEOWatcher
2012-Sep-24, 03:28 PM
Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: [chuckles] That's not a knife.
[he pulls out a large bowie knife]
Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: THAT's a knife.
Neuife

danscope
2012-Sep-24, 06:13 PM
" What was that?"
" Oh..... that was Seaman Hornsby. He drinks you know; too much of that gilly juice. "
Tony Curtis from ' Operation petticoat ' .

danscope
2012-Sep-24, 10:34 PM
" We shall fight them in the bunkers, and we shall fight them on the fairways, and we shall fight them off the tee, and we shall fight them by the greenside. We shall fight in the wind and in the rain. We shall fight in the tough. We shall fight on in blind confidence to the end. We shall never surrender.Just give us the clubs,
and we shall finish the job." From a movie script " A course to win " . otherwise known as "Trying to break 80" . :)

Jim
2012-Sep-26, 11:45 AM
From a different thread:

It is most certainly to prevent unwanted entry, but not necessarily by barricading. Whichever side the door swings to is the side from which the hinge pins are accessible...

Reminded me of a great line from Ever After. After Leonardo DaVinci frees Danielle from the cell by removing the hinge pins from the door and pulling it out of the frame, he's told he is a genius and will be famous.

"Yes, I shall go down in history as the man who opened a door!"

DonM435
2012-Sep-26, 02:11 PM
From a different thread:

Reminded me of a great line from Ever After. After Leonardo DaVinci frees Danielle from the cell by removing the hinge pins from the door and pulling it out of the frame, he's told he is a genius and will be famous.

"Yes, I shall go down in history as the man who opened a door!"

In Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, the duo are being pursued by the Frankenstein Monster (there: we've already justified the title), and Abbott suggests "Let's barricade the door!" They stack lots of stuff on their side, after which the Monster calmly opens the door from his side, reaches in and scatters their barricade.

captain swoop
2012-Sep-26, 03:08 PM
In Carry on screaming a door is barricaded with furniture to keep out the 'Monster'. One of the items used is a cupboard that was hiding a hole in the wall (made earlier in the film) next to the door that the Monster walks through.

starcanuck64
2012-Sep-27, 01:20 AM
Not a movie quote, but my favorite anecdote about the Marx Brothers.

http://www.harpomarx.net/anecdotes.html

Such was MGM chief Irving Thalberg's hectic schedule that even VIPs were often obliged to wait many weeks for an appointment - not to mention many minutes (or hours), on the "million-dollar bench" in Thalberg's anteroom, for the actual meeting.
When the Marx Brothers moved from Paramount to MGM in 1935, they arranged to meet with Thalberg at ten o'clock one morning. They arrived on time, waited several hours, were told to come back the next day at two o'clock, and left. Though they did meet with Thalberg the next day, he was an hour late. "Now, look, Mr Thalberg," Groucho said angrily, "we've been stars in three Broadway shows, in Vaudville and in motion pictures. When we have an appointment we are accustomed to having it kept. Yesterday we waited four hours and finally left. Today we were kept waiting an hour. In the future, don't ever call us unless we can see you at the appointed hour."
Thalberg apologized and promised to be more responsible. At the Marx Brothers' next meeting, he had them ushered into his office at the appointed time but was soon called away on urgent business. "Okay, let's show him," Harpo suggested. The brothers agreed and, after pushing Thalberg's filing cabinets against the door, climbed out through the window and left.
Sure enough, at their next meeting, Thalberg was right on time but was called away on urgent business once again. This time Harpo got some potatoes from the commissary kitchen and Chico and Groucho built a roaring fire in the office fireplace. When Thalberg returned, he found his visitors sitting by the fire roasting potatoes - completely naked! "Wait a minute, boys," he playfully ordered - and promptly had the commissary deliver some butter for the potatoes. He never walked out on the Marx Brothers again.