PDA

View Full Version : What colour is the moon??

Johnno
2002-May-01, 10:45 PM
We've been having a discussion regarding the colour of the moon over at the el3d discussion group (eagle lander 3d).

Most of us say the moon is shades of gray, but one guy keeps insisting that it's light brown, one even said it was partially green!

So lets hear it, what colour is the moon?

JJ
2002-May-01, 10:56 PM
Well, it depends upon what kind of cheese it is ... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

JJ

Johnno
2002-May-01, 11:00 PM
what a serious response to a serious question. thanks! that really helped /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

NasaStooge
2002-May-01, 11:20 PM
<in joke>

If its covered in a big red sheet does it matter?

</in-joke>

(code)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NasaStooge on 2002-05-01 19:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NasaStooge on 2002-05-01 19:21 ]</font>

JJ
2002-May-01, 11:21 PM
You´re welcome !

However,

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/apollocolor.html

.. says:

"Color on the moon, as you know, is a very subjective phenonmenon; it is also quite variable in terms of actual physical phenomena, ie, the color changes depending on the angle of the sun and one's orientation to it. 'Mouse grey,' 'mouse brown,' 'concrete,' 'asphalt,' etc. -- ask the 12 moonwalkers what the color of the moon is and you'll get 12 different answers. Of course we know that there is color on the moon (the green rocks, the reddish hues, localized phenomena like Shorty Crater's orange), and Dave Scott put it well in our gallery walk-through at the Hayward Gallery (London) last year: "You see what you expect to see: you have to open your mind." (That got the more youthful partying astro-wannabes in the crowd going, let me tell you ;-}.)"

JJ

JayUtah
2002-May-02, 12:00 AM
Gray is the most commonly named color. The photography shows gray and brown. Photography from outbound spacecraft shows a definite brown. The astronauts say it depends on the lighting and the location.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-May-02, 09:34 AM
On 2002-05-01 19:00, Johnno wrote:
what a serious response to a serious question. thanks! that really helped :wink:

You can't be serious?

No, seriously, do you mean when you look at it up in the sky, or when the astronauts walked upon it?

Johnno
2002-May-02, 09:53 AM
Grapes: I simply mean what colour is the moon. Of course it depends on the lightning and angle, so can you say the moon is a definite colour?

Kind of a trick question, Im just gathering information to slap the guy who said the moon is a defenite light brown (he had some HBer tendencies, picked out the images that supported his 'conclusion' and wouldnt reply when told it would depend on lightning and angle).

ToSeek
2002-May-02, 03:11 PM
Parts of it are orange. (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap010523.html)

DaveC
2002-May-02, 03:51 PM
We covered that issue some time back at Apollohoax and concluded that the orange was Tang crystals flung out in disgust by the astronauts.

jagster
2002-May-03, 06:24 PM
I remember the discussion regarding Tang. This was before I was a member so I never responded. I actually liked Tang. I would have those along with Space Food Sticks. Remember those? They were individually wrapped pieces that resembled a skinny hot dog (although not meat) that was similar to what they ate in space (or so the manufacturer told us). Us kids loved 'em!

Jim_McBrearty
2002-May-03, 07:53 PM
<checks out of window>

Yep, it's still a lovely shade of pink - damn these hallucinogins!

DaveC
2002-May-06, 06:14 PM
On 2002-05-03 14:24, jagster wrote:
I remember the discussion regarding Tang. This was before I was a member so I never responded. I actually liked Tang. I would have those along with Space Food Sticks. Remember those? They were individually wrapped pieces that resembled a skinny hot dog (although not meat) that was similar to what they ate in space (or so the manufacturer told us). Us kids loved 'em!

Duh, you coulda been a astronaut!

jagster
2002-May-06, 06:40 PM
Yep! Just like any self respecting ten-year-
old, I pretended that I was!

2002-Jun-26, 11:25 PM
On 2002-05-01 20:00, JayUtah wrote:
Gray is the most commonly named color. The photography shows gray and brown. Photography from outbound spacecraft shows a definite brown. The astronauts say it depends on the lighting and the location.

I just noticed that Kenneth Brecher, a professor of astronomy at Boston University had an angle on this one in yesterday´s space.com:

""Color is a very, very subjective phenomenon," he said. "Color is in the eye of the beholder."

As an example, Brecher asks what color the Moon is. The instinctive answer is "white." Some might say yellow. And in certain sky conditions, it can look orange.

Brecher calls this question absurd, too, because it does not include the context necessary to allow an accurate answer. The dusty coating on the Moon's surface resembles finely ground charcoal. "If you bring average lunar material to Earth and view it in normal terrestrial lighting, it would look very dark." The color of the Moon and the light coming from it are two very different things.

"It is time for astronomers and the press alike to carefully distinguish between [color and light] when discussing astronomy," Brecher said."

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/color_universe_020625-1.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solar Flare on 2002-06-26 19:31 ]</font>