Prince
2002-May-01, 11:19 PM
http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/sunboggl.htm

ToSeek
2002-May-02, 03:02 PM
Haven't we been through this before?

Natrium is just the Latin for sodium.

HO is not a stable molecule.

The whole story about the Mars Observer losing its mirror is a fantasy.

There's a lot more nonsense here, but that's the high spots. Interesting that this is the exact same article that someone linked to from here months ago - you'd think there'd be updates by now!

The Curtmudgeon
2002-May-02, 07:40 PM
Given this article, and Oldest map ever made? (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1206&forum=1&8) thread, it looks like Russian science has gone straight back to the bad old days of Lysenko.

The (not to mention...no, I won't mention him again) Curtmudgeon

Karl
2002-May-02, 08:44 PM
On 2002-05-02 15:40, The Curtmudgeon wrote:
Given this article, and Oldest map ever made? (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1206&forum=1&8) thread, it looks like Russian science has gone straight back to the bad old days of Lysenko.

They all shouldn't be tarred with the same brush. Things are definitely hard over there, but they still have a lot of top-notch people. I've worked with a couple, but since nothing they do will ever end up in the tabloids you don't hear about them.

Wiley
2002-May-02, 09:15 PM

Thank you for not mentioning he-who-must-not-be-named.

The Curtmudgeon
2002-May-02, 10:53 PM
On 2002-05-02 16:44, Karl wrote:
They all shouldn't be tarred with the same brush. Things are definitely hard over there, but they still have a lot of top-notch people. I've worked with a couple, but since nothing they do will ever end up in the tabloids you don't hear about them.

True enough, Karl, and in fact I don't believe that it's a nation-wide moratorium on good science over there. It's just that the two articles, surfacing at much the same time, just struck that note.

Pravda isn't generally considered to be a supermarket tabloid, but it's very true that their standards of news reporting, rather than their standards of science, are probably much more to blame here.

The (just shows that every country has their flakes) Curtmudgeon

beskeptical
2002-May-10, 06:15 AM
Pravda...it's a newspaper for heaven's sake! I haven't seen many articles in ANY newspaper, or the television news for that matter, that had the science correct.

John Kierein
2002-May-10, 12:16 PM
Hey, this article is not so bad. The sodium cloud around the moon is measured by some folks I know at Boston University, Mike Mendillo and colleagues. Also today I received a press release from JPL about how the HO radical in the Earth's atmosphere is causing ozone depletion and how hard it is to directly measure it; but that they are able to get hydrogen peroxide as an indirect measure from the results of OH reactions. I wouldn't debunk it too much. A stable amount of OH exists in the Earth's atmosphere as an equilibrium process for its creation and destruction in chemical reactions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Kierein on 2002-05-10 08:18 ]</font>