PDA

View Full Version : Question about Coruscant

Buttercup
2011-Jun-27, 03:01 PM
Even though I live here, I've been shocked to discover a rumor (via a scandalous book I picked up yesterday entitled Coruscant Nights 1: Jedi Twilight by some fellow named Michael Reaves probably a Sith trying to bad-mouth MY planet :mad: ) that Coruscant has a nasty underbelly of slums, parasites (of a variety of species), mean and harsh human existances; an "urban jungle." :confused:

I've always viewed Coruscant as beautiful, enlightened, egalitarian. Sure, there are some difficulties here (same as anywhere). But I haven't imagined that any part of Coruscant could be overrun with meanness, grime, ghettos, etc.

? What say you?

Maybe Reaves' view is more "realistic," but I don't like it.

Moose
2011-Jun-27, 03:24 PM
There's an apparently thriving black market in "deathsticks". Just sayin'.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jun-27, 03:42 PM
Even though I live here, I've been shocked to discover a rumor (via a scandalous book I picked up yesterday entitled Coruscant Nights 1: Jedi Twilight by some fellow named Michael Reaves probably a Sith trying to bad-mouth MY planet :mad: ) that Coruscant has a nasty underbelly of slums, parasites (of a variety of species), mean and harsh human existances; an "urban jungle." :confused:

I've always viewed Coruscant as beautiful, enlightened, egalitarian. Sure, there are some difficulties here (same as anywhere). But I haven't imagined that any part of Coruscant could be overrun with meanness, grime, ghettos, etc.

? What say you?

Your view of your society is common of upper-class people who refuse to accept the realities upon which their existence is built.
Just think Marie-Antoinette.

danscope
2011-Jun-27, 05:48 PM
Marie Antoinette had some contented sheep and she was especially fond of cake as I recall.
I wish Coruscant would get a little more rain....perhaps ?

Rhaedas
2011-Jun-27, 05:55 PM
Since Coruscant was stolen from Trantor, it makes sense that it would have a glorious outer shell, but be dark and rotten inside. Read the prequel Prelude to Foundation for some good imagery of the alleys and ghettos that existed under the glory of the Empire.

Swift
2011-Jun-27, 06:02 PM
You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes...

KaiYeves
2011-Jun-27, 07:03 PM
I think it has always been canon that the undercity is rather nasty- check out the Inside the Worlds book for Episode II.

AKONI
2011-Jul-02, 10:32 PM
Your view of your society is common of upper-class people who refuse to accept the realities upon which their existence is built.
Just think Marie-Antoinette.

People who live on Park Avenue, literally across the street from Central Park, forget that Harlem is walking distance.

Solfe
2011-Jul-02, 11:41 PM
I think that many works had the same theme; I seem to recall the Stainless Steel Rat had the same idea for a glorious outer shell on a rotting core. In the Han Solo trilogies, either they end up on Coruscant or on worlds with that sort of flavor. I don't think it was stated that they are planet sized cities, but perhaps they were emulating Coruscant on a smaller scale. Even Bill the Galactic Hero seems to have spoofed it.

Garrison
2011-Jul-03, 12:00 AM

? What say you?

The Clone Wars cartoon series certainly portrays a seedy underbelly, its a world where upper and lower class take on a literal meaning.

Githyanki
2011-Jul-04, 09:58 PM
You can't have wealth without poverty; through-out human history, there have always been those at top that profited from the labors of others.

In a comic book I read in the mid-90s, it had Coruscant having a dark-underbelly.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-04, 10:41 PM
You can't have wealth without poverty; through-out human history, there have always been those at top that profited from the labors of others.
That just means you can't have a society without wealthy people, it's not actually saying you can't have one without poor, unless you define poverty as everything below average.
If you define poverty as below some specified level, I can't see how it's a given.

In modern societies it's the middle rather than lower class who produce the majority of the society's wealth.