PDA

View Full Version : Venus transit from SOHO

Kullat Nunu
2004-Jun-03, 07:08 PM
Near-real time photos available here (http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/2004_06_08/).

Venus is already entering the C3 field!

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Jun-03, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately, SOHO won't see an actual transit because it is not in the ecliptic plane. :(

Kullat Nunu
2004-Jun-03, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, SOHO won't see an actual transit because it is not in the ecliptic plane. :(

D'oh! I misinterpreted the image... ](*,)

ToSeek
2004-Jun-03, 08:04 PM
The GLPers are freaking about it already.

Hale_Bopp
2004-Jun-04, 12:52 AM

I am freaking about it too...freaking excited that is :lol:

Rob

ToSeek
2004-Jun-07, 04:23 PM
Venus has entered the LASCO C2 (http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/c2/512/) field of view.

Spacewriter
2004-Jun-07, 05:48 PM

is there nothing these woo-woos won't freak about? I was searching for a paper online about Eta Carinae yesterday and ran across a web page that purported to discuss the "new age implications of EtaCar going supernova... "

Andromeda321
2004-Jun-07, 06:58 PM
From the SOHO website-

As seen from Earth the planet Venus will be visible in front of the Sun for more than 6 hours. From SOHO's perspective, however, 1.5 million kilometres from Earth and slighly off the Sun-Earth axis, the planet Venus will not pass in front of the Sun but glide slowly just beneath the solar disk as shown in the illustration above. However, it will be visible against the emission from the diffuse corona. Thus, scientists will be able to take advantage of this Venus transit to improve the quality of data gathered by SOHO.
It's rather nice to know that even if we won't get a SOHO picture of the Venus transit there is some science to be garnered out of it all.
[Andromeda321 realizes she still needs to dig out her solar specs and binocs for the event and leaves to do so.]

tracer
2004-Jun-07, 08:40 PM
I was searching for a paper online about Eta Carinae yesterday and ran across a web page that purported to discuss the "new age implications of EtaCar going supernova... "
Well, maybe not Eta Carinae -- but if Betelgeuse were to go supernova, that would certainly usher in a new age. ;)

CJSF
2004-Jun-07, 10:22 PM
Is Venus really so bright that even as such a thin cresent, it still saturates SOHO's sensors?

CJSF

ToSeek
2004-Jun-08, 01:41 AM
Is Venus really so bright that even as such a thin cresent, it still saturates SOHO's sensors?

CJSF

I would think that so long as there's anything reflecting at all, it would be enough to saturate. That's coming straight from the -23 magnitude Sun with just one little bounce along the way.