PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds?

Wolverine
2004-Jun-04, 03:23 AM
I set up to do some observing tonight, trying to get a few minutes in with the binos before the Moon popped up to wreck the party.

While waiting for darker conditions after sunset, I had been out looking at Jupiter and Saturn and a few satellites. I came back inside to plan a couple of angles of attack to catch comets NEAT and LINEAR on Starry Night Pro.

So, I head back outside, move the tripod to a more suitable location, blindly move the pan handle to a general position to begin my quest for LINEAR T7. I look through the binos, and BAM it's right there centered perfectly in my FOV. :o

I think "WOW, cool!" and am standing there playing with the focus to see if I can get a better view than just a fuzzy blob... and a passing jet perfectly eclipses the comet. :o

Should I go purchase a few lottery tickets?

AZgazer
2004-Jun-04, 04:07 AM
Should I go purchase a few lottery tickets?

Powerball all the way!

Awesome experience most definately. :)

ness012345
2004-Jun-04, 04:30 AM
Nice one, can't say I've ever done that before. But yeah, I would say go grab some lotto tickets, and give half your winnigns to me please! :D

StarStuff
2004-Jun-04, 04:35 AM
Yes, I'd say lottery tickets should definitely be in the works. Nice going!! =D>

Pi Man
2004-Jun-04, 05:22 AM
Oh, well. That happens to me every day. :D

And, the last lotto ticket I got had the winning numbers, but I didn't redeem it becuase of the piles of money still taking up my living room space from the last 8 lotteries I won.

(And if you believe that, you owe me 500 bucks. You know... from the other day. :D)

Chip
2004-Jun-04, 06:22 AM
...playing with the focus to see if I can get a better view than just a fuzzy blob... and a passing jet perfectly eclipses the comet...

After viewing (or missing) the celestial objects I set for myself to see, I'll allow some time just to explore the night sky, usually with the telescope pointing straight up in the dark sky. On several occasions just aiming at a randomly selected open star cluster, I'll look through the eyepiece and suddenly see a satellite zip by. A little faint dot of light moving in a straight line across the field of view. Either I'm lucky, or there's a lot of space junk orbiting our world.

Then there was the time at a friend's back yard barbeque, I just happened to look up and see the Noss Triads! But that's another story... :wink:

Wolverine
2004-Jun-04, 06:43 AM
Then there was the time at a friend's back yard barbeque, I just happened to look up and see the Noss Triads! But that's another story... :wink:

Cool!!! I mean... shhhhhh! 8-[

Satellites have been a ton of fun for me.

After I was finished with LINEAR, I set my sights on NEAT. While I was getting reoriented, I saw a rather bright satellite speeding across the sky (naked-eye visible, 1 mag or better) and tracked it. It turns out that had I found NEAT just a tad sooner, SL-16 R/B would have streaked through my FOV as well, lol.

Mmm, space junk. :)

Chip
2004-Jun-04, 09:36 AM
...Satellites have been a ton of fun for me...

You probably know about Heavens-Above (http://www.heavens-above.com/). A great source for spotting satellites, and even tumbling spent Russian rocket stages all seen from your own coordinates. :D

Wolverine
2004-Jun-04, 10:20 AM
You probably know about Heavens-Above (http://www.heavens-above.com/). A great source for spotting satellites, and even tumbling spent Russian rocket stages all seen from your own coordinates. :D

Yeppers! HA is nice. Starry Night Pro has a rather decent satellite database too.