PDA

View Full Version : Fermilab Unravels More About Neutrino Mystery

Fraser
2011-Jun-29, 03:30 PM
Right when you thought that Fermilab was a thing of the past, new work with neutrinos are exciting us all over again. The scientists associated with the MINOS experiment at the Department of Energy’s Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory just announced their findings of a rare phenomena – the transformation of muon neutrinos into electron neutrinos. [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/87131/fermilab-unravels-more-about-neutrino-mystery/)

trinitree88
2011-Jun-29, 04:10 PM
Fraser. I attended the lecture at MIT on the search for sin2 2 theta1,3, and on the Minos and Daya Bay experiments. They were hopeful of a non-zero result. However, definitive neutrino masses depend not just on mixing angles in matter-path experiments, they should allow for mixing to occur in absentia of any matter in the path. That has not been seen and will be expensive to do.

also see:http://www.citebase.org/abstract?id=oai%3AarXiv.org%3A0905.3549

0.02 + or - .01 is pretty close to zero and it's only at one sigma. They still need lots more data

There is an aesthetic argument here. If (neutrinos/ antineutrinos) have mass, then they must travel subluminally, or else we can Einstein's Special Relativity premises. That's unlikely. If they travel subluminally, then we can at least in principle, build a spaceship that travels closer to the speed of light than they do. That means that a particle which was receding from us with one chirality (handedness), instead is approaching us with the same chirality as we overtake it with our leaden foot on the spaceship's accelerator. In the world of neutrinos, that converts a particle into it's own antiparticle by virtue of our changing reference frame (receding/approaching).
That has never been seen in a particle physics detector and would violate Conservation of Lepton Family Number, something that also has never been seen. I'm betting my proverbial hot fudge sundae it never will. When the dust settles and all the data is in from all the experiments, I think it'll average zero.