PDA

View Full Version : *** Requesting help - Galactic components

Padawan
2004-Jun-05, 06:25 PM
Hey guys and gals!

i'm painting a HUGE galaxy in Photoshop and i wanna make it as realistic as possible. So, i'd like to know what kinda astronomic objects there are in a galaxy, i know some, but i've forgotten many or i just dont know about them, i'll list what objects i know. If you know any that i havent mentioned here, could you please also post a pic of an example, (not necessary)

* Globular clusters
* Open Clusters
* Double stars
* Nebulae (Reflection, emission and supernovae)
* Neutron stars.

i trust you guys to fill the list with exotic objects, and thanks in advance :D

Ut
2004-Jun-05, 06:30 PM
You left out one of the best nebulae type! Planetary (I suppose technically emission) and dark (absorption)!

I'm not sure how well neutron stars would show up in a wind angle, large galaxy picture. I'm thinking as well as a white dwarf. Remember that the bi-polar beams give off radio emission. Though, if the painting is large enough to include these small objects, a black hole accretion disc would be stellar (if you'll forgive the pun).

Russ
2004-Jun-05, 06:39 PM
On the scale of a whole galaxy you will be able to see both open and globular clusters. Nebulae of titantic scale will also be visible, these are called dust lanes. I don't think that individual objects, such as double stars, will be visible.

If your galaxy is a spiral, it will have spiral arms. It may also have a bar streatching out from the central bulge, if it is a barred spiral. Individual, solar mass, black holes probably would not be visible. The central, supermassive black hole at the center may have apposing jets spewing out matter from a VERY small point, like two cones that point at each other.

My brain just siezed up. Sorry, no more ideas. :( :D

Padawan
2004-Jun-05, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys! :D

Does anyone have anything else to add?