PDA

View Full Version : Recent possible 'large' meteors in California and elsewhere

Psionyx
2004-Jun-06, 09:40 AM
I seem to recall over the radio news a couple of days ago that at least two incidents of large, highly visible fireballs (One over California, the other I fear I cannot recall directly) being seen in the sky, followed by loud explosions. I would assume these were meteor events followed by the sound of impact.

Curiously, neither event has any resulting debris or scorched craters :-? . I was wondering if, first, that I was merely hearing repeated reports of the first fireball when I heard the second from a different news source about a day later, or if anyone had any additional information regarding these events.

Just another quick thing, I know how common meteors are in general, but would two meteors large enough to survive the atmospheric passage and cause a sizeable boom (Might have just been a sonic boom) in the space of two days, both landing in the USA be considered a rare occurance, or fairly common? I admit, I'm not well-versed in such things, so I leave it to those who know better to enlighten me. I'm not concerned or anything (or I'd post this on the Planet X board :P ), just curious.

PhantomWolf
2004-Jun-06, 09:52 AM
From what I understand the explosion was a sonic boom or the rock actually breaking up so it didn't impact as such, thus why there is no crater or debris. :)

eburacum45
2004-Jun-06, 10:58 AM
Yes, bolides are a very common occurence; but as the planet Earth is so large, usually few people see them. Most bolides happen over the ocean, as the Earth is largely covered by water.
The coincidence here is that two have happened over densely populated parts of the USA; unusual, but not exceedingly so.