PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 3: the spoiler edition

novaderrik
2011-Jul-05, 01:54 PM
saw it last night.. it was pretty ok, more or less decent. at least the 3D made them slow things down a bit and Sam's parents had maybe 5 minutes of screen time.

there were some plot holes big enough for Optimus to drive thru with his shiny new transforming trailer attached, but it was otherwise better than Transformers 2 in pretty much every way.
the 3D was ok, but i don't think it was worth paying extra for.. and they had characters throw stuff away from the camera from time to time, which seems backwards given the purpose of 3D in the first place..

they had a couple of Star Trek tie ins- since Leonard Nimoy was the voice of Sentinel Prime (Optimus Prime's predecessor and mentor), they had him say "the needs of the any outweigh the needs of the few"..they could have made it just that much more awesome if they had Shatner voice an Autobot and yell "KHAAAANNN!!" at the sky..
Sam's new girlfriend's only real personality trait is "hot". altho she does get kind of sassy with Megatron at one point when shes all like "you've been played like a fiddle" and he's all like "uh uh" and she's all like "uh huh"...
speaking of Megatron- he's a tanker truck this time, and he wears a canvas hood/cloak thing for some reason- perhaps to prevent Cybetronian melanoma or something..
there was a bathroom scene with a crazy Asian guy that was supposed to be funny, i guess.
Buzz Aldrin was in it- Optimus was honored to meet him.
stuff 'sploded, fell down, and just plain got messed up.
Sam killed Starscream in an overly long and drawn out sequence that was supposed to be funny, i think. it reminded me of when Optimus stepped on Sam's mom's backyard fountain in the '07 movie..
more stuff went kablooie..
some military guys flew in on some cool suits that allowed them to fly like birds..
Shockwave was in it. he was kinda cool. he rode around on some giant worm-like burrowing plot device.
Soundwave took on robotic form and spoke like 1 line and Laserbeak could transform into anything at any time...
the Autobots all got captured and then Optimus came in and killed all the bad guys by himself- but is that really a "spoiler" since it was a major plot point of every episode of the original tv series, the '86 movie, the comic books, every episode of every Transformers series since the original, and the last 2 Michael Bay movies?

all in all, not a bad way to kill 2.5 hours and waste $10.50, i guess. at least this time you could tell the good guys from the bad guys in the battle scenes, and a city that isn't New York or Los Angeles (Chicago) just got totally messed up.

captain swoop
2011-Jul-08, 10:03 PM
They should cut out all the bits with humans and just let the robots fight, save an hour of tedious and poor quality exposition and character development.

jamesabrown
2011-Jul-12, 02:44 PM
They should cut out all the bits with humans and just let the robots fight, save an hour of tedious and poor quality exposition and character development.

Isn't that what they're doing with the movie based on Rockem-Sockem Robots?

JustAFriend
2011-Jul-13, 01:46 AM
3 thing I was glad did not make it into the 3rd movie:

Motion Blur. The clarity let you see the robots fighting without wanting to throw up.

Tuturro's posterior. The 30ft. wide close up in the 2nd movie made me want to throw up.

Devastator's Testicles. Something else inappropriate in the 2nd movie that made me want to throw up.

(I actually enjoyed the 3rd film...)

Glom
2011-Jul-16, 09:52 PM
Definitely better than movie 2, though that's not saying much. The obligatory chick was a bit more likeable than the last one though her enormous lips were distracting. If they tamed things to mitigate the nausea in 3D then that definitely improved the 2D experience. Some of the engaging was downright engaging. Crazy though it was, I did rather like the bit in the toppling building.

Obvious bad astronomy aspects in it. They did genuinely seem to confuse the dark side of the Moon with the far side. They slightly retconned history with regard to what the Apollo program did. Since they were really on a top secret mission to investigate this crashed ship, all six missions must have gone to the same landing site, which may have been on the far side, except they seem to have no comms troubles, but as I just said, I think they got confused between far side and dark side.

The belly laugh moment though came when the Autobots went back to Tranquility base, which is maybe not in Mare Tranquilitatis, and they walk by Eagle, which still has its ascent stage. And no plaque was seen to explain it was a restoration by the Historical Sticklers Society.

I did quite like the way Neil and Buzz moved on the lunar surface though. Just felt slightly better than most depictions.

Michael Bay doesn't quite seem to grasp that NASA is a civilian organisation. They say something about the Space Shuttle being used to cover up the Autobots' escape ship in order to keep it in military hands. And of course Armstrong was a civilian so less of that standing to attention mumbo jumbo please.

profloater
2011-Jul-16, 10:13 PM
Just seen it tonight, great entertainment, rather long, probably just a fiction though.

SkepticJ
2011-Jul-16, 11:39 PM
Probably?!

The movie wore me out. Too much action. I didn't care what happened in the whole last hour, I was just ready for it to be over.

I wouldn't have seen it, if it wouldn't have been on a date.

novaderrik
2011-Jul-17, 06:01 AM
Probably?!

The movie wore me out. Too much action. I didn't care what happened in the whole last hour, I was just ready for it to be over.

I wouldn't have seen it, if it wouldn't have been on a date.

i felt exactly the same about the King Kong remake from about 5 years ago- and even saw it for the same reason that you saw this one.

Glom
2011-Jul-17, 08:21 AM
Oh I forgot. They spaceship the Autobots are supposed to escape in uses the Space Shuttle as a boost. That's like trying to boost a GE90 with a hamster wheel.

novaderrik
2011-Jul-17, 08:50 PM
Oh I forgot. They spaceship the Autobots are supposed to escape in uses the Space Shuttle as a boost. That's like trying to boost a GE90 with a hamster wheel.

and it only took like a day to strap it to the top of the external tank and get it to the launch pad.

Glom
2011-Jul-25, 01:36 PM
You know the trailer? With the pneumatic drill motif that punctuates the score?

Is Michael Bay becoming a parody of himself?

Or is he tired of people saying that his movies are like a pneumatic drill to the head and so decided to put in an actual pneumatic drill effect into the soundtrack for the trailer?

Glom
2012-Feb-21, 10:03 PM
They're making another one.

I'll go first. * picks up pistol *

publiusr
2012-Feb-25, 07:00 PM
I just watched it for the modified shuttle-derived ships.

Nimoy also voiced the original Galvatron, so this was his second gig...

SkepticJ
2012-Feb-26, 06:28 AM
They're making another one.

I'll go first. * picks up pistol *

I dunno, I'm kinda glad. As long as Bay is doing Transformers movies, he can't ruin anything else.