PDA

View Full Version : Your Flying Car is Here

Fraser
2011-Jul-07, 10:00 PM
Here’s your flying car. And it’s just gotten approval from the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to hit the road. Terrafugia’s Transition® Roadable Aircraft needed a special exemption for having special plexiglas windows and landing-capable tires for a road vehicle, and this is the first combined flying-driving vehicle to receive such special consideration from [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/87316/your-flying-car-is-here/)

danscope
2011-Jul-10, 04:18 AM
Nice machine. Looks a little expensive if some cellphone zombie gives you a love tap or some of those pesky

shopping carts roll down the parking lot. But it drives and flies elegantly . Give them credit . :)

And now to the price : Drum roll please : .........$$$$$$$

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-10, 06:07 AM
Price: $250,000
Cruise: 93 kts (105 mph, 172 km/h)
Range: 425 nmi (490 mi, 787 km)
Mileage flying: 21 mpg (8.9 km/l)
Mileage on road: 35 mpg (14.9 km/L)

So: horrible mileage both on the ground and flying, slow flying and expensive as hell.

Yep, they're gonna sell lots of those. :whistle:

Good second try though.

danscope
2011-Jul-10, 05:20 PM
Hi Henrick, Thanks for the reply. Kind of pricey , isn't it ?

Best regards,
Dan

LotusExcelle
2011-Jul-10, 07:00 PM
I consider the price a bargain for a dual-use machine like that. Especially in low build quantities. What's the going price of an econobox car PLUS the price of a small Cessna?

ravens_cry
2011-Jul-10, 08:14 PM
This thing is more a road legal aeroplane than a flying car. Neither hide nor hair to tell the truth. Personally I think, though I know there is difficulties associated with this approach, a para-glider style wing would create a more aesthetically pleasing land vehicle then these folding wings. Still, I wish them the best.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-10, 09:54 PM
Yep, this is a roadable plane, not a flying car. Targeted for pilots not for the general consumer.

This is the way to go forward for now given current technology.

I consider the price a bargain for a dual-use machine like that. Especially in low build quantities. What's the going price of an econobox car PLUS the price of a small Cessna?
I think the Cessna Skycatcher is the only one comparable, since this is the only light sports plane (which is what the Terrafuigo is classified as) they have as far as I know, it costs $112.250 according to the Cessna website.

And the Terrafuigo is far from econobox with that mileage, but anyway you can get a Mercedes Smart for about $13.000, I think that's comparable with the baggage carrying ability of the Terrafuigo.
So car plus plane, with better fuel economy on both, about $125.250 i.e. almost exactly half prince compared to the Terafuigo.

For the price of the Terrafuigo you could buy a small Cessna and 8-9 Smart cars, and have one parked at each airport you normally frequent.

danscope
2011-Jul-10, 11:05 PM
To be fair , a paraglider only functions in " just the right conditions" . This vehicle will fly rain or shine , and you stay dry. A paraglider is an inconvenient toy by comparison.

ravens_cry
2011-Jul-11, 01:13 AM
To be fair , a paraglider only functions in " just the right conditions" . This vehicle will fly rain or shine , and you stay dry. A paraglider is an inconvenient toy by comparison.
Just the wing, just the wing. The rest of the vehicle would resemble, at least outwardly, a more conventional car. That's the idea I had anyway. Yeah, it's just aesthetics, but aesthetics can make or break a car commercially. The Pontiac Aztek had excellent reliability according to Consumer Report, but t was so ugly that it became an Edsel. Even the Edsel can be considered an example of how aesthetics can change how a car is perceived.

grapes
2011-Jul-18, 09:13 PM
Rutan's flying car, a hybrid:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/07/burt-rutan-designs-hybrid-flying-car/

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-18, 09:25 PM
There's no chance in hell that'll get accepted as a street-legal car.

grapes
2011-Jul-18, 09:31 PM
Well they have to add the turn signals yet, but it is only 8 ft wide. :)

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-18, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking its crashworthiness.