Sticks
2004-Jun-08, 08:24 AM
First Venus Transit in living memory & it's tipping it down

TYPICAL BRITISH WEATHER!!!!! #-o

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Jun-08, 08:52 AM
if you are lucky, you might get a break in the clouds

http://img1.tapuz.co.il/forums/33306614.jpg

check this guy, he held up bino's and projecting the sun on a piece of paper, and then took a pic of the paper

Sticks
2004-Jun-08, 09:01 AM
We have been having thunder and lightning here in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Gap in the clouds

Somehow I do not think that is going to happen :roll:

dummy
2004-Jun-08, 09:05 AM
That sucks sticks :/
Sunny and clear down here in Surrey.

bmpbmp
2004-Jun-08, 09:25 AM
This is just great set my alarm for 5 am and its clouded over here in Montreal

Tranquility
2004-Jun-08, 09:36 AM
Thats too bad guys sorry about that. Here in the Mideast there isnt a single cloud. I just glimpsed it with welding glasses and I projected it on a piece of paper and again just saw it.

Not a bad first transit. Lets hope it aint the last 8)

Taibak
2004-Jun-08, 09:36 AM
Fog here outside of Boston, MA. Hopefully it will burn off by seven.

Morrolan
2004-Jun-08, 09:39 AM
8) clear blue sky, not a cloud in sight... beautiful. :)

TriangleMan
2004-Jun-08, 11:27 AM
It's mostly cloudy here but thankfully there was a break in the clouds for about 15 minutes - absolutely clear view. I got to see the transit using binoculars projected onto a white card. 8)

Thumper
2004-Jun-08, 11:27 AM
Sun broke through the low haze just after 6:00am EDT in central OH USA. One of the few times clouds didn't ruin an event for me. Beautiful. I've got a pair of 9x63 binocs with solar filters on a tripod. I'm looking through the office windows but it's still a great view. Showed about 20 people who were appreciative and excited.

Sorry for anyone who tried and had clouds. Believe me, I know how that goes.

Graham2001
2004-Jun-08, 12:39 PM
In Perth (Australia) we had about an hours break in the storm clouds between 2pm and 3pm. :D I managed to project an image of the transit onto some white paper during that time.

Hopefully I'll do better in 2012.

Graham

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Jun-08, 12:41 PM
645 ayem, the eighth floor lounge with the eastern exposure, and the 10x50's with homemade filters on a paint-roller monopod. Not a cloud in the sky, the Sun had this one HUGE and moving black freckle on it, and the disk was crossed at least thrice by birds and once by that fabled big ol' jet airliner...faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous...

jfribrg
2004-Jun-08, 01:23 PM
I got up at 4:00 AM, got ready, woke up the family and headed south from Philadelphia to Wilmington where the Delaware Astronomical Society was having a transit gathering. It was a little hazy, but at 4:00 I could see a few stars. When I got to the park, there was a very thick fog coming in off the river. There were about 70 people there and dozens of telescopes. As best as I could tell, mine was the only homemade filter. It was definitely the only one held together with velcro and duct tape (yet one more use for the tape). We waited until about 6:00 and then decided to get to higher ground. Hopefully the fog cleared and everyone got a good look, but I wasn't going to take a chance. On the way back north, the sun was visible through the fog, and the black dot was clearly visible to those of us in the car with good vision. Eventually we stopped at a park near our house (elevation 318ft, N39 58.060, W75 20.993) and I set up the scope in the parking lot. It was about a half hour before 3rd contact. I have a 4.5 newtonian and used a 20mm eyepiece (which translates to 37 power) and had a great view, and stayed until 3rd contact which I estimate was 7:05:54 Eastern Savings Time with an uncertainty of +-20 seconds . Then it was time to get everyone to school etc, so I missed 4th contact. I thought it was interesting that I could see the transit through the fog with my naked eye, but when the sun was shining clearly, I could not see the transit through solar glasses.

(Edited to correct typo and add location)

pumpkinpie
2004-Jun-08, 01:29 PM
Clear in Baltimore, MD! Watched it with about 300 visitors, fellow staff, and scienctists from Goddard at the Maryland Science Center with various telescopes, Sun Spotters, welder's masks, eclipse shades, and projection methods. A huge success! :)

Bob B.
2004-Jun-08, 01:39 PM
Beautiful clear skies here in Dayton, Ohio. Sunrise was 6:09 EDT but I didn't set up my telescope until about 6:30, then I had to wait another 15 minutes or so for the Sun to get above the trees. I watched with a couple co-workers outside my office. From my observing site at latitude 39 36' 26", longitude 84 13' 38" I estimated third contact at 7:05:41 EDT (11:05:41 UTC) and fourth contact at 7:25:46 EDT (11:25:46 UTC). According to this Web page (http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/transit/venus/city04-2.html) my estimates are within 4 seconds of the calculated times for Dayton.

Candy
2004-Jun-08, 01:46 PM
Gee, I hope you guys got to see it on TV. :o

Geoff394
2004-Jun-08, 01:48 PM
Perfectly clear sky here, an amazing astronomical event ...

... and I totally forgot about it. sheesh!

Betenoire
2004-Jun-08, 01:57 PM
Erm... it's not Venus, it's PLANET X!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Anyway, totally missed it myself, but I don't have any equipment anyway. Still, would've been really cool to find somebody who did (and I bet Morehead Planetarium here was doing something for it). Darn work.

Candy
2004-Jun-08, 02:07 PM
Erm... it's not Venus, it's PLANET X!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Anyway, totally missed it myself, but I don't have any equipment anyway. Still, would've been really cool to find somebody who did (and I bet Morehead Planetarium here was doing something for it). Darn work. Planet X is the Kuiper Belt or vice versa.
Don't start with me this early about Planets =;

Argos
2004-Jun-08, 02:13 PM
Perfectly blue skies here, but it ended by 7 am. Too early for me. IŽll leave it to my next incarnation.

kucharek
2004-Jun-08, 02:19 PM
Can't...resits...to...rub...more...salt...into...S ticks'...wound. 8)

Perfect weather here in Karlsruhe. Everything was clearly visible to the naked eye from the beginning to the end. Nice show.

We had also luck here with the eclipse in '99. One of the few holes in the european cloud cover was over Karlsruhe...

Harald

bbtuna
2004-Jun-08, 02:27 PM
I found a great hill not far from my house (I live near Detroit) and used my less-than-a-week-old scope to project the image on to paper. I was great, except for the clouds that rolled in around third contact. Almost gave up, but they burned off fast and got to see the end. It was great, the mosquitos didn't bug us too much. I just wish I could have done it in a more public place, but with all the trees and buildings here, that wouldn't have worked. My dad could see it at the airport too. He works in the tower and showed it to all his coworkers. Hubby and I had a great morning watching and taking pictures. Some are little blurry, the camera isn't the greatest, but it worked.

aurora
2004-Jun-08, 02:57 PM
Gee, I hope you guys got to see it on TV. :o

I watched the start of the eclipse on NASA TV, it was an Exploratorium broadcast from Greece.

I also got to see the BA this morning on NASA TV! :)

Maybe they'll rerun it sometime?

Spacewriter
2004-Jun-08, 03:57 PM
It was high, thin clouds with an intervening cloud bank during the little time we had of the transit here. I blame Bush and global warming. ;) ;) ;)

ToSeek
2004-Jun-08, 04:05 PM
A little bit hazy outside of Washington, DC, but manageable. My old eclipse glasses didn't work (too dark), but the ones they were giving out at the University of Maryland did. I also got to look through four different telescopes and to view the moment of third contact on a monitor hooked to a fifth telescope.

Andromeda321
2004-Jun-08, 04:13 PM
Hereabouts in PA I was a lazy bum and only got up at 630 knowing the sun wouldn't clear the hills until then anyway. I used a pair of binoculars to project the image onto a white piece of paper- something I hadn't done in a long while but worked very well (must be all that practice from shining light into people's eyes with my wristwatch!). It was really a nice little dot to observe and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I also snapped a few pictures with my picturephone on a whim, I need to get them onto the computer to see if anything actually shows.
The one interesting thing was how while I was crouching in the dewy front yard I was observed by many a person from our street going to work. None of them were quite brave enough to ask just what the heck I was doing, I daresay they're used to me by now, and a teenage girl looked like she was half-expecting me to change into mutant form (nope, sorry, that only happens at night!). I was considering waking up my family but something told me they would not be very appreciative of being woken up that early.
Once that was done I went back to bed and, in true teenage style, crashed for about three or four hours. It's completely cloudy now actually but it wasn't cloudy when I needed it to not be so I won't complain too much.
My final conclusion for my little story: people who sleep in rarely witness history! 8)

tlbs101
2004-Jun-08, 04:32 PM
At least all of you are in a place on the Earth that has A VIEW of the transit! I am here in the Western US, where the sun set last night without a "spot" and rose this morning without a "spot". :( :( :(

Russ
2004-Jun-08, 04:36 PM
Excepting for a cloud bank on the eastern horrizon at sunrise, we had severe clear here. I'm just south of Charlie in Dayton so had his same good luck sky wise.

I participted in a transit party at the Voice Of America park. We had about 17 astronomers, fielding about 30 scopes & binoculars and about 100 spectators.

Hey folks!! We've seen one of the rarest shows on Earth!! \:D/ :lol: 8)

I have photos. I'll post any gudun's.

SiriMurthy
2004-Jun-08, 04:59 PM
Partly cloudy in Lenexa and couldn't make out the transit very clearly. We were on the very edge of the transit process anyway and hence was hard to make out through the patches of clouds.

I didn't use my scope of binocs as I don't have solar filter. However, I used x-ray film to get a glimpse of the transit and like I said, couldn't see very clearly.

Had to settle back to viewing the transit on the Internet.

Darn, didn't think about the NASA TV. I missed a chance to see our BA. #-o ](*,)