PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood 2011: Miracle Day. Too americanised? (spoilers possible)

tusenfem
2011-Jul-18, 10:04 AM
I saw episode 2 of Torchwood Miracle Day. Though I am glad to have Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper back on the screen, I somehow get a weird feeling about the show. It seems to have lost its "britishness" or should I say it has been "americanised" too much? Too much "important CIA" and too little "thinking by the agents." What exactly was Rex's drive in the brutal "extradition" of Jack & Gwen and how come the british police just helped him take them to the US?

Well, there is another 8 episodes to come ...

ETA: Yes, I do understand that STARZ is the main producer of the show, so a US centered view is to be expected.
However, I am afraid (from what I have seen so far) that they may fall into the same hole as Flash Forward, where the american investigation team was "surprised" that there were teams working on solving the "problem" in other countries outside the US. And there, the problem was also a world wide event, talking about stupid writing.

Githyanki
2011-Jul-18, 05:05 PM
I thought Spartacus, with an all-kiwi cast was too Americanized.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The whole-movie industry is "Americanized". Most in Argentina and Brazil could speak American-English just because of the flood of American entertainment.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jul-18, 05:31 PM
Unlike Doctor Who, I don't think Torchwood needs the "quintessential Britishness".

So far we've only had one episode. I found it very entertaining, potentially as good as Children of Earth (and I'm speaking as one who hated virtually the whole of the first two seasons). However, I found myself wondering about motivation.

Gwen is a private citizen who happened to work for (the now defunct) Torchwood. The moment her hiding place is discovered, there's a team in a helicopter trying their utmost to kill her on a day when they know nobody can die. Why? Granted they might just want to make her suffer (as they presumably suffer, having been incinerated and presumably still conscious), but wouldn't it make more sense to capture her and find out what she knows? After all, there's no limit to the torture they can inflict.

I like the idea - an updated Death Takes A Holiday, with some thought, but the "explanation" that it's due to aliens is a bit lame.

vonmazur
2011-Jul-19, 12:28 AM
I saw episode 2 of Torchwood Miracle Day. Though I am glad to have Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper back on the screen, I somehow get a weird feeling about the show. It seems to have lost its "britishness" or should I say it has been "americanised" too much? Too much "important CIA" and too little "thinking by the agents." What exactly was Rex's drive in the brutal "extradition" of Jack & Gwen and how come the british police just helped him take them to the US?

Well, there is another 8 episodes to come ...

ETA: Yes, I do understand that STARZ is the main producer of the show, so a US centered view is to be expected.
However, I am afraid (from what I have seen so far) that they may fall into the same hole as Flash Forward, where the american investigation team was "surprised" that there were teams working on solving the "problem" in other countries outside the US. And there, the problem was also a world wide event, talking about stupid writing.

Ich auch! I agree...

Dale

captain swoop
2011-Jul-19, 08:13 AM
I just have to ask where is the Doctor?

ggremlin
2011-Jul-19, 09:37 AM
If we can't save yourselves a few times without his help, we aren't worth the pond scum we spawned from. :)

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jul-19, 01:41 PM

Why?

In fact, part of my enjoyment comes from how well they've managed to disconnect from the parent series. Children need to cut themselves free of mother's apron strings.

Jason Thompson
2011-Jul-20, 03:26 PM
As Harriet Jones pointed out in The Cristmas Invasion, he's not there all the time, he comes and goes, in which case the human race has to defend itself....

Solfe
2011-Jul-20, 04:38 PM
I always took Jack to be an Americanized 51st century guy. Jack is out of his element, so I can totally see some variability it is what he is. Morphing Gwen into the same is/would be annoying in my mind.

I haven't seen this show, so I will pop back when I do.

Jim
2011-Jul-22, 11:55 AM
I just watched "Rendition."

Gwen is back!!!

Some interesting casting choices, btw... actors from ER, Dollhouse, and Hot in CleveLAnd. I wonder if that last one will do a crossover like they did with Susan Lucci?

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Jul-22, 01:39 PM
Betty White turns out to be an alien behind the entire no can die.

Oh never mix up England and Wales ever.

Garrison
2011-Jul-22, 07:50 PM

Planning to kill Hitler when last seen...

Paul Beardsley
2011-Jul-22, 08:30 PM
Planning to kill Hitler when last seen...

That's one way of coping with embarrassment when the majority of fans guessed the "clever twist" to the "who is River Song" question over a year before it was finally revealed.

peter eldergill
2011-Jul-23, 01:31 AM
I didn't enjoy the second episode at all. I found that really, not much happened. Half the episode was on the plane. Hopefully the 3rd episode will be better

Pete

peter eldergill
2011-Jul-24, 04:15 AM
Episode 3...waaayyy better :)

Solfe
2011-Jul-25, 01:56 PM
Ok... where are all of you seeing these shows? I don't see them on BBC America and it is killing me. :)

Jim
2011-Jul-25, 04:27 PM
Showtime.

Solfe
2011-Jul-25, 05:00 PM
Oh shoot. I picked Netflix over a movie channel.

tusenfem
2011-Jul-25, 06:44 PM
I cannot tell you that I use a torrent to watch this show, and indeed episode 3 was waaaay better.
Best lines:
Esther: It's fizzy in the UK, it's flat in the states.
Gwen: That figures.

peter eldergill
2011-Jul-27, 12:03 AM
We get it on Space Channel in Canada, but I usually miss it, hence see the post above mine :)

Pete