PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy Magazine - Special Edition

Normandy6644
2004-Jun-11, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure when it came out, but a recent special edition of Astronomy Magazine entitled The Origin and Fate of the Universe is one of the best issues I've ever seen. It has essentially no ads (only the inside page and the last page) and is basically an up to date account of the current issues in cosmology. A number of articles deal with dark matter, gravitons, superstrings, all the stuff that I love!! I just figured I'd mention it in case someone who's interested hasn't seen it yet. Plus it has pretty pictures! Yay! :lol:

Brady Yoon
2004-Jun-12, 06:36 PM
I agree. Even though most of the stuff was over my head, it was an interesting read.

Kaptain K
2004-Jun-12, 07:39 PM
I've got my copy. I haven't read it yet, I'm still digesting the regular (July) issue! :o

FWIW - At the top right of the cover, it says "Display until November 30th", so it "should" be available for a while yet.

Normandy6644
2004-Jun-12, 08:10 PM
FWIW - At the top right of the cover, it says "Display until November 30th", so it "should" be available for a while yet.

Yeah I saw that too. No hurry for anyone who doesn't have it yet. :D

Normandy6644
2004-Jun-12, 08:11 PM

Yeah I saw that too. No hurry for anyone who doesn't have it yet. :D

By the way, does anyone know of any other "magazines" I guess you could say that have papers on current issues that aren't just general audience, i.e., they have some math in them? I'm just curious, because I'm not sure what's out there. I'm not even sure about Nature or Science since I've never really seen an issue.

SpaceChick
2004-Jun-18, 02:35 PM
I have that issue. I only can saw it blew me away and I kind of understood some of the concepts by other astronomers, because I had come to similar conclusion about some observations they made. But there's a lot to cover and more to learn in the future because we haven't come to that answer how the universe began exactly. Perhaps we would come to that soon. But the magazine was well done and elegantly designed. I really enjoyed reading this issue.

Kaptain K
2004-Jun-20, 06:13 AM
FWIW - There is a really bad error on page 017!

Physicists have tried to calculate the density of dark energy from accepted theories of physics, but their results don't jibe with reality. So far, the computed value is roughly 1,060 times greater than the observed value (Others say the numbers could be off by a factor of up to 1,120, but let's not quibble over the fine print.)
Those numbers should be 10^60 and 10^120! :o Truely an error of astronomical proportions! :roll:

Normandy6644
2004-Jun-21, 03:30 AM
FWIW - There is a really bad error on page 017!

Physicists have tried to calculate the density of dark energy from accepted theories of physics, but their results don't jibe with reality. So far, the computed value is roughly 1,060 times greater than the observed value (Others say the numbers could be off by a factor of up to 1,120, but let's not quibble over the fine print.)
Those numbers should be 10^60 and 10^120! :o Truely an error of astronomical proportions! :roll:

Just out of curiosity, where did your numbers come from?

Kaptain K
2004-Jun-21, 05:20 AM
Her, among others.

http://whyfiles.org/197dark_energy_old_gal/3.html

Moose
2004-Jun-21, 01:35 PM
Only partially related to this thread (and only marginally so with the forum), but this month's (July) Astronomy has an excellent (and hilarious) article debunking the moon hoax. I'm not familiar with the author, Ray Villard, but it's a fun read.

Normandy6644
2004-Jun-21, 02:19 PM
Her, among others.

http://whyfiles.org/197dark_energy_old_gal/3.html

Thank you. I was just wondering, since those are some BIG numbers, and I hadn't seen them quoted anywhere before. :)

TriangleMan
2004-Jun-21, 04:48 PM
Thanks for letting me know about the magazine Normandy, I just got the last copy at the magazine store! \:D/

Normandy6644
2004-Jun-21, 04:55 PM
Thanks for letting me know about the magazine Normandy, I just got the last copy at the magazine store! \:D/

Awesome! I haven't had time to even put a dent in mine yet! I've only read the first couple articles. But I have a long plane ride coming up soon, so no worries here!