PDA

View Full Version : Gusev crater walls?

Grizzly
2004-Jun-14, 05:25 PM
I think that you can make out the crater walls, a bit of a slant... but she's climbing the hills!

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/navcam/2004-06-13/2N140403150EFF6826P1920L0M1.JPG

----
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via
There is no easy way from the earth to the stars. (Seneca)

ToSeek
2004-Jun-14, 06:34 PM
First time I've noticed texture on some of those distant hills.

aurora
2004-Jun-14, 06:44 PM
I don't think the Hills are anywhere near the crater rim of Gusev, so what we are seeing must be formations higher up on the sides of the Hills.

Grizzly
2004-Jun-14, 07:12 PM
I don't think the Hills are anywhere near the crater rim of Gusev, so what we are seeing must be formations higher up on the sides of the Hills.

I was speaking of the hills in the far distance. If you look to where the horizon intersects with the top of the picture and then "above" that line you can see hills that look to be much taller than the Columbia Hills.

----
Solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum
Only you are can prevent forest fires

ToSeek
2004-Jun-14, 07:14 PM

I was speaking of the hills in the far distance. If you look to where the horizon intersects with the top of the picture and then "above" that line you can see hills that look to be much taller than the Columbia Hills.

Next stop!! ;)

lyford
2004-Jun-14, 10:01 PM
ROAD TRIP!!!!!! :lol:

Amadeus
2004-Jun-15, 12:18 PM
ROAD TRIP!!!!!! :lol:

I call SHOTGUN!!! :lol:

tlbs101
2004-Jun-18, 06:26 PM
First time I've noticed texture on some of those distant hills
It may be that the dust has continued to "settle" over the past month. When the Rovers first landed in January, remember, you couldn't see anything in the distance, then as the weeks went by the walls of Gusev became clearer, so now they are very clear.