PDA

View Full Version : Tornado damage visible from space

ToSeek
2002-May-03, 03:57 PM
Swath of Deadly Maryland Tornado Visible From Space (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/laplata_pics_020502.html)

Kind of pushing the relevancy here, but I thought the photos were interesting and impressive. (La Plata is probably about an hour's drive from my house.)

Jigsaw
2002-May-04, 03:09 AM
And here I was gonna say, "Hey, it's relevant to ME, as I live in Tornado Alley"--but then I saw that YOU live in Maryland. Holy Fujita, Batman! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

For some reason that is the CREEPIEST photo of tornado damage I have ever seen, bar none. "Visible from space", egad, now that's a BIG 'un. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

[Where were you, BTW, when it hit? Just curious.]

Jim
2002-May-04, 03:49 PM
La Plata is probably about an hour's drive from my house.

I have to ask... was this before or after the tornado?

Jigsaw
2002-May-05, 02:32 AM
Right, but where was he? Under the kitchen table? Down in the basement? Outside with a video camera, scanning the horizon?

Or at work, and didn't know nothing about it until he saw it on the news? C'mon, we want a war story! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

John Kierein
2002-May-06, 02:48 PM
My brother is a weatherman on Channel 4 in Washington, DC. He showed this space picture last week. cool.

ToSeek
2002-May-06, 03:02 PM
On 2002-05-04 22:32, Jigsaw wrote:
Or at work, and didn't know nothing about it until he saw it on the news? C'mon, we want a war story! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

No war story, sorry. We got some thunderstorms coming through at about the same time, but nothing like that. I learned about it from the news just like everyone else.

ToSeek
2002-May-06, 03:02 PM
On 2002-05-06 10:48, John Kierein wrote:
My brother is a weatherman on Channel 4 in Washington, DC. He showed this space picture last week. cool.

Oh, right, Tom Kierein (http://wxnet4.nbc4.com/weather/1198901/detail.html).

Peter B
2002-May-06, 11:08 PM
I just want to know where the comet is that heralded/caused the tornado.

ToSeek
2002-May-07, 04:02 PM
On 2002-05-06 19:08, Peter B wrote:
I just want to know where the comet is that heralded/caused the tornado.

No, no, it's the approach of the planet Niburu that caused it. Don't you know anything about celestial electrodynamics?

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif