PDA

View Full Version : CTV News: Vesta the 2nd. largest asteroid in the universe

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Aug-02, 11:21 AM
I was watching the CTV News last night and they did a blurb on Vesta....usually I cringe when I see a space story on CTV because they always seem to get one vital detail WRONG. Last night...the newscaster proclaimed that Vesta was the 2nd. largest asteroid in the universe....quite amazing that they would know that....simply amazing...

Jim
2011-Aug-02, 11:40 AM
Maybe they did a viewer survey?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Aug-02, 12:00 PM
of everyone in the universe?

Jim
2011-Aug-02, 12:06 PM
Are you dissing CTV's viewer numbers?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Aug-02, 01:02 PM
sure why not...have you ever watched CTV news...not an ex-pat are you?

Rhaedas
2011-Aug-02, 01:15 PM
Maybe they talked to the IAU and Vesta has been declared the benchmark for what a second largest asteroid would be.

Perikles
2011-Aug-02, 01:29 PM
Last night...the newscaster proclaimed that Vesta was the 2nd. largest asteroid in the universe...Presumably it is for somebody else to prove them wrong.

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-02, 01:48 PM
Or they omitted the words "found so far".

Jim
2011-Aug-02, 04:21 PM
sure why not...have you ever watched CTV news...not an ex-pat are you?

No and no.

Moose
2011-Aug-02, 05:21 PM
Yeah, CTV's not exactly your go-to organization for science or technology news. "Is your common household object trying to messily kill everybody you've ever cared about? Find out soon. But first, Puppies!!!"

Middenrat
2011-Aug-03, 01:06 AM
And what about Miss Universe? Jim Kirk knows better than that.

Ilya
2011-Aug-03, 04:47 PM
Yeah, CTV's not exactly your go-to organization for science or technology news. "Is your common household object trying to messily kill everybody you've ever cared about? Find out soon. But first, Puppies!!!"
I've known some puppies who were trying to messily kill everybody around them. They succeeded only on the "messy" part. But most common household objects do not get even that far. So I would say CTV's priorities are about right.

Moose
2011-Aug-03, 08:16 PM
If by "everyone" you mean "shoes", then yeah, I'd have to agree.

Van Rijn
2011-Aug-04, 01:37 AM
I was watching the CTV News last night and they did a blurb on Vesta....usually I cringe when I see a space story on CTV because they always seem to get one vital detail WRONG. Last night...the newscaster proclaimed that Vesta was the 2nd. largest asteroid in the universe....quite amazing that they would know that....simply amazing...

It turns out that actually makes sense given common definitions of the word "asteriod." For instance, from here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=asteroid+definition&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=#hl=en&lr=&q=asteroid&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=UPU5Tqm_EqvZiAKEreW2Dg&ved=0CBgQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=71d1a95efb9ed47d&biw=800&bih=381

1.A small rocky body orbiting the sun. Large numbers of these, ranging in size from nearly 600 miles (1,000 km) across (Ceres) to dust particles, are found (as the asteroid belt) esp. between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter . . .

Since that definition excludes objects in orbit around other stars, Vesta really could be the second largest asteroid in the universe.

ozark1
2011-Aug-11, 12:36 PM
It turns out that actually makes sense given common definitions of the word "asteriod." For instance, from here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=asteroid+definition&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=#hl=en&lr=&q=asteroid&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=UPU5Tqm_EqvZiAKEreW2Dg&ved=0CBgQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=71d1a95efb9ed47d&biw=800&bih=381

Since that definition excludes objects in orbit around other stars, Vesta really could be the second largest asteroid in the universe.

I thought Ceres and Pallas were bigger, so the third largest in the main belt. Of course Quaoar and a lot of the Kuiper belt crowds are bigger as well - but are they asteroids?

Ronald Brak
2011-Aug-12, 10:58 AM
Of course Quaoar and a lot of the Kuiper belt crowds are bigger as well - but are they asteroids?

Do they have pirates? If they have pirates they're asteroids, if they have princesses they're planets.

Strange
2011-Aug-12, 11:08 AM
Do they have pirates? If they have pirates they're asteroids, if they have princesses they're planets.

Why do you think it is called Quaoarrrr?

Moose
2011-Aug-12, 12:18 PM

You may have just solved the debate once and for all.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Aug-12, 12:21 PM
arrgh matey....

Van Rijn
2011-Aug-12, 05:13 PM
I thought Ceres and Pallas were bigger, so the third largest in the main belt. Of course Quaoar and a lot of the Kuiper belt crowds are bigger as well - but are they asteroids?

Good point about Pallas. Less massive than Vesta but it might be a bit larger. The definition was pretty clearly about the main belt, though, so that would exclude TNOs.

Solfe
2011-Aug-14, 07:15 PM
"...in the Multiverse" would have been completely over the top.