PDA

View Full Version : Thundercats' Cartoon Network revival?

Fazor
2011-Aug-03, 06:05 PM
Anyone else catch the new Thundercats premier on Cartoon Network last week? I hadn't even known anyone was remaking it -- though it seems to have been big news among the gaming community and I'm not quite sure how I missed that.

I finally was able to watch it last night. I was actually pretty impressed. Without having seen the show since I was a 'wee lad', I thought it really captured the 'Thundercats' vibe while managing to feel more modern and more mature (you know, as mature as a cartoon about anthropomorphized cat warriors can be.)

I liked it. THUNDERCATS HOOOOO!

parallaxicality
2011-Aug-03, 06:47 PM
You might want to shift that apostrophe before Gillian sees it.

Yeah I liked the Thundercats, though I always felt it was a bit strange to take these alien creatures and strand them on another alien planet. That didn't really give the writers the chance to develop the Cats as a culture.

From the looks of the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enQXITlKRgg), they fixed that problem.

Fazor
2011-Aug-03, 07:25 PM
I saw the premature apostrophe as soon as I had hit submit. We can't change titles w/o mod intervention, and I didn't care enough to ask a mod to intervene. :-P

Swift
2011-Aug-03, 07:42 PM
You might want to shift that apostrophe before Gillian sees it.
We wouldn't want to anger either the feline or the spelling gods. :)

Moose
2011-Aug-03, 07:45 PM
. o O ( Tempted to shift it back. :D )

/ Oh geez, did I think that out loud?

novaderrik
2011-Aug-04, 03:37 AM
is Snarf as annoying and useless as he was in the original?

parallaxicality
2011-Aug-04, 06:44 AM
He doesn't talk now. Which is nice.

Fazor
2011-Aug-04, 01:30 PM
He doesn't talk now. Which is nice.

Now that they've introduced technology, he may get a "translation collar" or something though . . . hmm. :) They seem to be going more "serious" than cheesy. Tara loves 'Avatar: The Last Airbender', if this series holds up, it might be my equivalent. It helps that it was one of the cartoons we grew up with. As I said; I was too young at the time to remember much about the show itself, but we had tons of the action figures. I even vaguely remember having a toy thundercats sword, and of course, shouting "Thunder cats! Thunder cats!! THUNDERCATS HOOOOO!"

Swift
2011-Aug-04, 02:00 PM
As I said; I was too young at the time to remember much about the show itself, but we had tons of the action figures. I even vaguely remember having a toy thundercats sword, and of course, shouting "Thunder cats! Thunder cats!! THUNDERCATS HOOOOO!"
I guess I'm a little older than you, because my main memories are, like novaderrik, finding Snarf annoying, and Cheetara kind of cute. :whistle:

I also always thought it a little amusing that Panthro was voiced with an African-American voice, at a time when the Black Panthers were still in people's memories.

Moose
2011-Aug-04, 04:46 PM
They made Snarf annoying so we could tolerate the twins (by comparison).

KaiYeves
2011-Aug-04, 05:29 PM
I loved that show when I was little!

Swift
2011-Aug-04, 06:31 PM
They made Snarf annoying so we could tolerate the twins (by comparison).
I guess Wesley Crusher wasn't available. http://www.fuduntu.org/forum/images/smilies/user83559_pic43268_1255723460.gif

novaderrik
2011-Aug-05, 06:46 AM
i'm still waiting patiently for a Silverhawks reboot- i don't know what it was about that show, but in my mind it came in third behind G.I. Joe and Transformers.. i bet M.A.S.K. would be kind of cool, too..

parallaxicality
2011-Aug-05, 06:50 AM
Silverhawks? What was that about again? I remember thinking the Copper Kid's voice was kinda cool, and wondering what "partly metal, partly real" meant. I mean metal's real too, right?

I got really into MASK when I was a kid, but looking back I have to wonder why.

Doodler
2011-Aug-12, 07:06 PM
i'm still waiting patiently for a Silverhawks reboot-

Meh, kind of a Thundercats copycat, if you ask me. Trade in fur and whiskers for cybernetics and android birds, with a transforming quasi-demonic adversary... meh. It had potential, but squandered it pandering a line of toys.

If they took a note from Stargazer's character and went more for the cyberpunk noir rather than the gimmick collection, I could see something worth watching.

novaderrik
2011-Aug-13, 10:05 AM
Meh, kind of a Thundercats copycat, if you ask me. Trade in fur and whiskers for cybernetics and android birds, with a transforming quasi-demonic adversary... meh. It had potential, but squandered it pandering a line of toys.

If they took a note from Stargazer's character and went more for the cyberpunk noir rather than the gimmick collection, I could see something worth watching.

name me a cartoon series from the 80's that wasn't made to sell toys- that's what the 80's was all about, man.

parallaxicality
2011-Aug-13, 10:13 AM
And now is different how?

Romanus
2011-Aug-13, 03:44 PM
Saw an episode last night, and was very impressed. Superb writing and production values, and a real switch from the endless Teen Titans / Ben 10 style that's been standard Cartoon Network material for the past decade or so.

Fazor
2011-Aug-13, 09:01 PM
It didn't record for me last night for some reason :( I was all ready to watch it when I got home but it wasn't there. I'll have to see if they replay it, which CN is sorta known to do.

novaderrik
2011-Aug-14, 03:43 AM
most cartoons now make fun of the cartoons of the past- some better than others. the Venture Brothers is a good example of this- i don't think there is a cartoon series that ever existed that didn't get folded into the Venture Brothers universe.
i will admit to being a good little consumer and buying both Dethklok albums..

Doodler
2011-Aug-16, 09:40 PM
name me a cartoon series from the 80's that wasn't made to sell toys- that's what the 80's was all about, man.

Granted, but so much was copied over it was hard to look past it, even then.